Singapore Expats

NEXT SIA RECRUITMENT: 21st-22nd APRIL =)

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
fizus
Regular
Regular

Post by fizus » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 1:48 am

hey iammyy...

i don't think age would be a problem, for local stewardesses there's not much of an age limit. or so i've read. you might want to consider pursuing SIA cabin crew before starting school right and proper, unless of course you want to make this your career. if so by all means, get your degree first, then go for this.

my friend did her A levels, flew with SQ for a few years, then did her uni. no regrets she says, and i can see why. :)

i say if you want it now, go for it. you never know what the future might bring.

as for complexion, maybe you can ask intrinsic dreamer how good her complexion is, cuz she got through! hehe.

emalf
Regular
Regular

Post by emalf » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 2:30 am

Hey Fizus, yes fellow NUSian here. *waves!* Luxe too?

I second you on the age issue. There's this friend of mine who got in when she's in her mid-twenties.

complexion wise, I guess as long as concealer and foundation can cover yr flaws, it should be enough to get you through.

try to get an oil-based concealer for the swimming test though.

camperboy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by camperboy » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 2:37 am

dunnno whether this was discussed...but do SIA hire ppl with SHATEC dip? :D

zcarina
Regular
Regular

Post by zcarina » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 9:54 am

wow..thats really fast.. last recruitement was in MArch..now april have another one.. hmmm.. damn nervous...
Well, anyone got any recommendations on any oil-based concealers?? Do u advise thick or light makeup during the interview?? :)

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:03 am

yea pls advise

- foundation which brand we should use for swimming?

- concealer oil based so what type can we use? i got one from body shop. its the green tea stick. can i use that one?

cheers.
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

iammyy

Post by iammyy » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 1:56 pm

thanks girls.
so i guess i'll just try for the interview (seeing that i might not be able to go thru..lol) just for experience at least.
well,if luck is on my side,perhaps i can do my degree later or the other way round if SIA is nice =) lol.

and arugh.passport photos usually look awful,anyone know of anywhere that takes nicer pictures (manually i think).lol

Hero83

Post by Hero83 » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 3:31 pm

Intrinsic Dreamer wrote:Emalf!!

Wrong!!

ACCEPTABLE bmi for SIA range is 18-22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
NOt sure if its 18 or lesser. But i know for sure it can't cant cant exceed 22. :D

Healthy range is 19-23.

I'm 20 point something now..

Must watch or I'll hit 21 point something soon. haha.....

Which will become 22 soon. :lol: :lol:

*giggle*
BMI is not an accurate indicator of body fat. There are stewards who are big sized and fit. But are they overweight? There are stewardesses who have a supermodel body. But are they underweight?

And there are no acceptable BMI range for SIA. Some of my friends, who are overweight/underweight according to BMI, are now working as flight stewards/stewardesses with SIA.

zcarina
Regular
Regular

Post by zcarina » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 3:40 pm

think it all depends luck and whether they like u or not. I heard cases that people were booted out due to low BMI, and also heard cases where people are still accepted but were asked to increase thier BMI during training time..
So during kebaya round, should we choose something that is figure-hugging or something more loose? when u walk, can we swing our arms? How we know if our shouders are straight?? Tks :roll:

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 3:45 pm

Hero83.

For girls, if u exceed 22.

U'll be grounded. :)

Dear iammyy, cantonese isn't a foreign langauage! :)

Dear fizus, thanks!! :D
So far i haven't seen any Malay gurl but thats because each group has little ppl. My management group doesn't have Malays but there are some due for management interview cuz they passed water confi with me!! :D

Don't worry ok?
SIA loves everybody of every race. :)

My complexion is ok la. I've no oil at all so it may be a lil dry?

I get pimples once in bout 6 months. That may be heaven to afew gurls but i have eyebags and some fine lines which is a worst nightmare than pimples, in my opinion. :lol:

msfifi

Post by msfifi » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 4:47 pm

if it helps, i'm a malay! but i got booted out during kebaya lah.. haha. intrinsic, were there quite a number of malays during the water confidence test?

i don't know if i should try out again for the next recruitment. :(

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 6:12 pm

Go on Msfifi, try! :)
Just watch ur posture, shoulders and back when ure donning the Kebaya.
U weren't asked to go over the right side for skincheck right?
Then i guess its ur walk thats got problem.

Don't fret!! There's still tym! :)

Zcarina, choose a kebaya that is fitting.
To me, it was the tightest tightest thing i've everrrr worn.

A swimming costume doesn't even come close. Swimming costume is just figure hugging. The kebaya is "WOW! Tight!!!" :D

But its very beautiful. Very feminine. We all love it. :)

At the 2nd round, there are no mirrors for u to see how u look.
All u can depend & count on are the other gurl's opinions on how u look. Just help each other out yeah? :D

When u walk, just walk how u normally do. I don't believe in cat-walking. This isn't a pageant. :D
Besides, u don't wanna look too arrogant or haughty.
If u walk the way u normally do, u'll be LESS nervous, I assure u. U'll be less self-conscious if u don't try to cat-walk too. U will be more natural. :)

Top it off with a smile or something.
Anyway, i believe u'll definitely smile.
u'll be happy. Cuz u'll be Enjoyin the moment u first donned the kebaya!!! :lol: :lol:

Hmm, how to u know ur shoulders are straight?
Dear girl, this is habitual.

Ask ppl around u to notice the way u walk.
If they think u look slouchy, well, no fear, u still have bout 3 weeks to correct ur walking posture. :)

Straighten up ur back/spine, arch ur shoulder blades back. :)

Make it a habit to walk properly, femininely.
On 21st April, it will come naturally to u. :D

msfifi

Post by msfifi » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 6:26 pm

omg thanks for the looooong post! :D

yup i didn't even get my skin checked.. could it be that i took long strides and was walking too fast? and i think i didn't smile! coz i was panicking!

anyway, thank you so the tips! i hope you get your training dates soon so you can share more stories wit us!

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 6:43 pm

my long posts are evidence that i've nothing to do at home!! :lol: :lol:

Must look for a part-tym job now. haha...

Msfifi, try smiling. Relax this tym round ok?
Now that u know roughly wad they are looking for, u must give all your best!! :D

Walk like a woman!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

emalf
Regular
Regular

Post by emalf » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 7:35 pm

zcarina wrote: Well, anyone got any recommendations on any oil-based concealers?? Do u advise thick or light makeup during the interview?? :)
corines143 wrote:yea pls advise

- foundation which brand we should use for swimming?

- concealer oil based so what type can we use? i got one from body shop. its the green tea stick. can i use that one?

cheers.
zcarina, corines143 i dont have a rec for a concealer and I've never used the body shop concealer so I cant really say. why not try it out at home under the tap?

for foundation wise, a make-up artist friend of mine reccommended M.A.C.'s face and body foundation (click the link below) but i didnt buy it in the end.
http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/p ... D=PROD1540

actually the submerged time is only about 2 secs and then you'll swim backstroke to the side. that means your face is only in the water for a short time.

One thing they check for after swimming is whether you have any scars (like keloid scars) or tattoos on yr body; which may have been covered by your clothes or shoes prior to the swim round.

the elimination for swimming confidence test is generally low. about 1 or 2 out of 40. so dont worry too much.

gloss
Regular
Regular

Post by gloss » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 9:46 pm

I was just wondering.. I'm short-sighted in both eyes.. Is it advisable to remove my contacts before the confidence test IF i get through the first 2 rounds (that's IF i'm really lucky) . My contacts are permanent hard lens, so its going to be costly if I lose them :???:

Or would it be better to get soft disposables on the day of the water confidence test?