Singapore Expats

SIA Application - Malaysian Steward / Stewardess ( DEC )

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
indcisive
Regular
Regular

Post by indcisive » Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:06 am

Well, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Nothing is certain yet, theres still the medical and work pass that I've to worry bout. I'll keep ya updated and see how it goes.

cheers!

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Fri, 09 Mar 2007 1:22 pm

indcisive wrote:Well, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Nothing is certain yet, theres still the medical and work pass that I've to worry bout. I'll keep ya updated and see how it goes.

cheers!
Yup, u've got your point there too. Just don't worry too much...n i'm sure it'll turn out fine. Hehe. The HR exec told us Malaysians would usually get the highest grade of work pass, which is the Employment Pass. :)

jyunshin

Post by jyunshin » Tue, 27 Mar 2007 4:17 pm

Hi there everyone

I'm new here and i need lots of BIG help! I'm 21 and i'm interested in applying for a job in SIA as a steward or maybe a cabin crew but the problem is that i really don't know where to start from. I'm clueless about the possibilities and odds of applying as i didn't know what to do,honestly....I'm having trouble deciding what to do and i would like to collect some information regarding SIA. I really hope that there is someone kind enough to fill me with details of any qualifications or conditions that i need to have before applying from SIA.... :cry:

jyun**

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 1:07 am

jyunshin wrote:Hi there everyone

I'm new here and i need lots of BIG help! I'm 21 and i'm interested in applying for a job in SIA as a steward or maybe a cabin crew but the problem is that i really don't know where to start from. I'm clueless about the possibilities and odds of applying as i didn't know what to do,honestly....I'm having trouble deciding what to do and i would like to collect some information regarding SIA. I really hope that there is someone kind enough to fill me with details of any qualifications or conditions that i need to have before applying from SIA.... :cry:

jyun**
Hi Jyun!

Firstly, u need to keep a lookout at SIA's website for upcoming recruitments. U can visit this link to gather more info for employment opportunities : http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... /index.jsp

Alternatively, pay attention to The Star's recruitment section on Saturdays, that's where they would advertise when there are scheduled interviews to be held in M'sia. Actually, this forum itself provides lotsa info on becoming a cabin crew with SIA...check out the thread "SIA Cabin Crew" and there u would be able to find 500+ pages of useful info! :lol:

Requirements wise...it's all the standard height and education thing. U must be at least 1.65 m tall and must possess at least A-level/diploma or equivalent qualifications. SPM holders with relevant working experience (i.e. in service line) would also be considered. There would be several rounds of interviews just for ur info, that is the group interview, the 1-1 or 2-1 interview, the water confidence test and lastly the management interview afterwhich u would need to go for a medical check-up if u r successful.

Hope all these helps and would give u a better idea on taking the first step to becoming a cabin crew! Cheers!!! :)

jyunshin

Post by jyunshin » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 4:32 pm

Hi 12345,

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much for the information and I have some unanswered question for you if you don't mind. I've already check out the website you mentioned and I'm quite surprised because it seems like the requirements for a Malaysian candidate are less strict and least important (correct if I'm wrong, sorry people). And I don't even understand what this phrase means "Completed, are exempted from, or are not liable for National Service. Those in the process of completing NS may also apply."??

I would like to know if the Diploma qualification required are that of a certain travel, tourism or airline course from a certain polytechnic or college OR is it just that ANY Diploma will do??? In addition to that, you mentioned that I have to look out for any interviews which might be conducted in Malaysia from The Star's newspaper on Saturday. Are they looking for Malaysia-based or Singapore-based candidates??? Honestly, I hope to be based in Singapore(if I ever get through this, okay...) as I will have my family and relatives around by next year.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me what kind of 'water confidence test' are they conducting??? Is it like you have to know how to swim in order to get qualify??? And these interviews that you mentioned, what is it liked??? I'm starting to dread of the things that I wouldn't able to qualify at the stage where I'm really interested of becoming one of them. Imagine the things you have to put up with in the name of 'requirements'.

Hope you can give me a bright insight to what it takes to become a crew!! Thanks a lot!

jyun

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Fri, 30 Mar 2007 6:49 pm

Dear jyun, pleaseeeee go read the other threads.

SIA CABIN CREW and

SIA RECRUITMENT on 4th MARCH and

NEXT SIA INTERVIEW 21st-22nd APRIL..

They have lots and lots of info in there.

If u're really interested, this is worth the time. :)

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Sat, 31 Mar 2007 2:17 am

jyunshin wrote:Hi 12345,

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much for the information and I have some unanswered question for you if you don't mind. I've already check out the website you mentioned and I'm quite surprised because it seems like the requirements for a Malaysian candidate are less strict and least important (correct if I'm wrong, sorry people). And I don't even understand what this phrase means "Completed, are exempted from, or are not liable for National Service. Those in the process of completing NS may also apply."??

I would like to know if the Diploma qualification required are that of a certain travel, tourism or airline course from a certain polytechnic or college OR is it just that ANY Diploma will do??? In addition to that, you mentioned that I have to look out for any interviews which might be conducted in Malaysia from The Star's newspaper on Saturday. Are they looking for Malaysia-based or Singapore-based candidates??? Honestly, I hope to be based in Singapore(if I ever get through this, okay...) as I will have my family and relatives around by next year.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me what kind of 'water confidence test' are they conducting??? Is it like you have to know how to swim in order to get qualify??? And these interviews that you mentioned, what is it liked??? I'm starting to dread of the things that I wouldn't able to qualify at the stage where I'm really interested of becoming one of them. Imagine the things you have to put up with in the name of 'requirements'.

Hope you can give me a bright insight to what it takes to become a crew!! Thanks a lot!

jyun
Hi! Firstly, u're most welcome. :)

Hmm...why do u think so that the reqs are less strict for Malaysians? Actually, they are the same...being u are a Singaporean or a Malaysian. So there's no difference to it :) The phrase about NS is just for those who are currently serving in National Service. They would not want to hire sumone who's liable for National Service...only those who are either exempted or about to complete NS would be considered. But since u are 21, i doubt NS would be a concern to u??? Hehe.

Oh, i wanted to ask, where are u from btw? I assume u r a Malaysian rite since u did ur posting under this forum for M'sian stewards? Coz i didnt quite get the part where u mentioned that u will have ur family and relatives around by next yr. No worries, all candidates would have to be SINGAPORE-BASED. :D Only reason i suggested u to check out The Star is becoz SIA would sumtimes conduct interviews in KL for the M'sian applicants. Very nice of them! :D :D

In regards to the diploma...any diploma will do. Not necessary to be a diploma in tourism or hospitality mgt although it has been heard that it may be an added advantage. What course did u study btw? (sorry, just curious! :lol: )

The water confidence test is basically just to test if u r confident in water i.e. won't panick in water, not to test if u are able to swim or not. They would even provide u a life jacket if u need one...so yeah, just to see if u could remain calm in the water. There are candidates that do not know how to swim actually pass the test. During my time, we were asked to jump into the deep-end of the pool and just swim a lap (u could wear a life jacket and just paddle with ur hands and feet).

The group interview would require u to do a brief self-intro and then proceed to answer the question being posted. This is done in a grp of 10. The 2nd interview would be more focused on why u want to become a cabin crew, do u know the role of a cabin crew, do u have any previous experience in customer service etc etc. It's basically to know how serious u are and to see ur attitude towards the job. During the final interview, which is the management interview, the mgt could ask u almost about anything. But it's also to know u better PLUS they would sreen u really thoroughly when u r answering them. Intrinsic Dreamer would be able to share on this! :lol:

Well, dun worry too much and i'm sure u'll do fine! Just give it ur best shot and see how things turn out. Hehe. So, R U GOING for the interview on the 21st and 22nd??? :)

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:49 pm

AHH!!!

12345!!

I see my name in ur post!!

Haha..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont worry, jyunshin. :)

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Sun, 01 Apr 2007 12:49 am

Hahahaha!!! Yupz, can't think of anyone better who can advise on mgt interview. U're the pro man! :lol: :lol:

jyunshin

Post by jyunshin » Sun, 01 Apr 2007 1:48 pm

Hi! Firstly thanks again to you for sharing all this info. :) Couldn't appreciate it much more than anyone else!!

When I checked the website you mentioned, it seems like there isn't much qualifications are required so I assumed it was less strict (I was wrong,ok) :? FYI, I from Malaysia and my family will be moving to Singapore next year. It was a good news as I thought it'll be 'awesome' :twisted: to have the whole house all by myself. But now thinking back the idea of none-homecook meal or low-pay jobs doesn't entice me that well so I thought giving SIA a try might well worth it.

Dreaming that job do occur in me during school days and I am sure it is with me right now. Currently I'm doing a Travel, Tourism & Hospitality course by ABE(Association of Business Executive) and in my Diploma level(don't know whether you heard of it). I doubt that my qualifications will help as I'm only at my Diploma level, not Advanced Diploma.

By the way, I'm not going for the 21st and 22nd interview. I need some time to clarify certain stuffs thats been going on around me and I'll just work part-time or holidaying around first.(lousy english EVERYONE notice?) :o Thanks again to you and Dreamer, I'll bear in mind to check those threads you mentioned, and you can call me jyun...:)

jyun

jyunshin

Post by jyunshin » Sun, 01 Apr 2007 2:43 pm

By the way Dreamer, I read the threads about the 'Next SIA Recruitment-21st-22nd April and all those conversations between you and the other girls...i suppose i'm the only guy interested in becoming a crew, huh?? not even any guys i could notice le....

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Sun, 01 Apr 2007 4:09 pm

jyunshin wrote:By the way Dreamer, I read the threads about the 'Next SIA Recruitment-21st-22nd April and all those conversations between you and the other girls...i suppose i'm the only guy interested in becoming a crew, huh?? not even any guys i could notice le....
You would be suprised by the numebr of guys at the interview. Not all of them or crews like us visit this forum. :)

jyunshin

Post by jyunshin » Sun, 01 Apr 2007 4:13 pm

Of coz I'll be surprised! :shock: But it will be more appealling if I see it with my both eyes...The truth is i don't know much about any other guys who's interested so please forgive this short-sighted guy... :-|

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Sun, 01 Apr 2007 4:17 pm

jyunshin wrote:Of coz I'll be surprised! :shock: But it will be more appealling if I see it with my both eyes...The truth is i don't know much about any other guys who's interested so please forgive this short-sighted guy... :-|
Err does that bother you for you not to know any other guys in here whom are interested in the job? :???:

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:26 am

M wrote:
jyunshin wrote:By the way Dreamer, I read the threads about the 'Next SIA Recruitment-21st-22nd April and all those conversations between you and the other girls...i suppose i'm the only guy interested in becoming a crew, huh?? not even any guys i could notice le....
You would be suprised by the numebr of guys at the interview.
And at the number of guys who graduate too. In some courses, the guys outnumber the girls.