Singapore Expats

SIA recruitment on 4 March

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Ireneger

Post by Ireneger » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 1:01 pm

zombofi wrote:
Ireneger wrote:Dear gals,

I just went this morning... I managed to pass thru the 1st interview :) But the sad part was before the kebaya, i was been boothed out due to my qualification... SIA do not accept pte diploma!! :(

All the best to whom got thru the stages today! :D

where is your pte dip from ireneger?
From MIS, Marketing Int of Singapore

Ireneger

Post by Ireneger » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 1:04 pm

corines143 wrote:IreneGer - yes they do accept pte diplomas. who said they dont? which school is yours from? SIM is also considered a pte school you know.. so what makes the diff...did they confront you abt this or what?
I had asked again and again... They dun allow... they say must have a least 3 GCE O level to back up the pte dip... My diploma is from MIS...
I am reali sad...

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 1:25 pm

Ireneger wrote:
corines143 wrote:IreneGer - yes they do accept pte diplomas. who said they dont? which school is yours from? SIM is also considered a pte school you know.. so what makes the diff...did they confront you abt this or what?
I had asked again and again... They dun allow... they say must have a least 3 GCE O level to back up the pte dip... My diploma is from MIS...
I am reali sad...
I guess what matters most is what SIA wants and not what individual has mentioned. ](*,)

Irene, I'm sure there are other alternatives if you really yearn for the job. :console:

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks everybody.. I realllly am excited!! :D
Think i'm the only girl who's 18 & who got through all.

Dear Ms dowager, on my way to the hotel, i saw girls holding a speech list that was really long. The only time I rmb memorizing something like that was when I was studying for my A Level exam. I seriously thought It was a lil bit ridiculous.

What the interviewers are looking for isn't the your ability to memorize something really long & being able to say it all out. Seriously, Everyone can do that.

The thing that separates those who pass & fail is the way How some ppl say something that is actually so normal but it actuallly got their attention.
Your tone, your intonation, your eye contact. It about speech skills.

If you speak well, it shows that u're confident & u're being the NATURAL YOU. If u stammer or ur voice is shivering, its obvious u aren't being NAtural. If u speak to ur frens, u don't stammer right?

The MAIN REASON why the voices of most tremble or stammer is because, number 1, their mind is busy trying to remember the speech that they had tried to memorize earlier. Number 2, they wishing they hurried up talking so they can sit down.
Never have that mentality. Also, our brain never liks to multi-task.

Don't speak dully and monotonously. Speak like u realllllly want then to know more about u. But really, U REALLY need them to know more about u!! :) Brings smiles in every now and then. THAT would be natural. U SPEAK to ur frens smiling here and there right?!

Honestly, i know it isn't easy to not be nervous, it isn't easy to not stammer or have your voice shiver when presenting. While waiting for ur turn, u can be nervous all u want, u can be complaining & dreading all u want but the minute u enter the room, Look, its time to stop.
Time to be calm. Time to SHOW THEM WHAT U'VE GOT!!!! :)
But of course, NEVER be arrogant.
I had one girl in my group who sounded quite arrogant & she didn't get in. HEr dressing wasn't appropriate too. Actually, it looked like it wasn't of the appropriate SIZE.

When u stand, PLS DO NOT PUT UR WEIGHT ON 1 LEG. Stand straight on BOTH legs. 1 girl in my group did that unconsciously or it was her habit. Both the interviewers were practically STARING at her legs & kinda telling her 'hey, u should stand properly' & she still didn't know.. OMG. She should have stood properly. TRy not to wear MINI skirts. I was one of the few who wore a dress.

Ms dowager, it isn't your age. I'm sure of it. Something must have went wrong during your presentation. Age only comes in when u have the 1-1 interview. SOme girls who passed the 1st round also got sent home while registering for the 2nd round ONLY because of their academic qualifications.

Hmm, U wanted to know what my speech was like?

I told them my name (everyone looked up), nicknames, place of birth (Thailand), race, when I came to Singapore & the fact that i finally have a red IC now. I dunno why but everyone laughed at the last part. Then I spoke about My hobbies.

Suntanning being 1 of them & how I know its actually not very healthy So i stopped, tennis blah blah...

Honestly, I treated them as my friends & maybe my favourite teachers So i wouldn't be stressed when looking at them & i wouldn't be thinking what they were thinking about what I was saying... I love talking. I had a huge leadership role in my JC so perhaps It is much easier for me than others.

The thing about me is, when i speak & I'm happy speaking, I will continue talking non-stop. :lol:
I went on about telling them why I want this job & i even said that I want this so much that I came here Immediately after getting my A level results on fri. They all smiled.

AT first, I didn't even intend to tell them why I want to join SIA. I mean, they didn't even ask, u see. But it came naturally to me. I'm chatty, I like engaging ppl in conversations.

As expected, everyone else after me told them why they wanted to join SIA. Some, u can tell, were trying to bring it in after they realized I said it so it sounded a lil unnatural for them. They just want to answer for the sake of me having spoken about it so they want to too.

Michael Vana, pictures can be deceiving. Real life too. I am an example. EVeryone thought I was 22. HAHA. :D

If you know that public speaking isn't your cup of tea, come one, there's time to practice. Let me tell u, NEVER practice with the mirror. Only use the mirror to see your smile. When u want to practice talking, get a few groups of frens. They will help u best. Try with frens that are very close to u, also with those who aren't veryy close to u. Then try with your family. Have at least 3 ppl looking at you. Get ur assessment from them.

If u speak to a mirror, more often than not, U'll be pleased with how u do after awhile. In fact, u'll never know what is wrong.. This is human nature.

Take care all. :D

thinkerbelle
Regular
Regular

Post by thinkerbelle » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 4:24 pm

Intrinsic Dreamer, congrats! And its really great that u share ur experience and tips with us too, thanks! Pls post after ur water confidence test yea? :)

Thanks to all who encouraged me im not old too.. haha.. For me i'm just worried because i have scars on my legs. can wear stockings or not? :lol: Hey, do they check whats beneath the kerbaya? The skin check was mostly on the face/neck area or they check the arms and legs too?

:shock:

Joycee
Regular
Regular

Post by Joycee » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 4:54 pm

thinkerbelle wrote:Intrinsic Dreamer, congrats! And its really great that u share ur experience and tips with us too, thanks! Pls post after ur water confidence test yea? :)

Thanks to all who encouraged me im not old too.. haha.. For me i'm just worried because i have scars on my legs. can wear stockings or not? :lol: Hey, do they check whats beneath the kerbaya? The skin check was mostly on the face/neck area or they check the arms and legs too?

Hi,

Know from your post that you have scars on your legs? You can try Sally Hansen's Airbrush legs. it works! it is a spray that after applying to you skin it feels like wearing stocking~. :wink:

It is water-proof as well. Hope it help you!~ :P

Ireneger

Post by Ireneger » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 5:20 pm

M wrote:
Ireneger wrote:
I am reali sad...
I guess what matters most is what SIA wants and not what individual has mentioned. ](*,)

Irene, I'm sure there are other alternatives if you really yearn for the job. :console:
Hi M
I didnt ask other people... I experience myslf... I got thur the 1st round and was supposed to go for the kebaya round. Before kebaya, there was a check of CV on education which i failed due to pte diploma.

thinkerbelle
Regular
Regular

Post by thinkerbelle » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 5:26 pm

Joycee wrote:
thinkerbelle wrote:Intrinsic Dreamer, congrats! And its really great that u share ur experience and tips with us too, thanks! Pls post after ur water confidence test yea? :)

Hi,

Know from your post that you have scars on your legs? You can try Sally Hansen's Airbrush legs. it works! it is a spray that after applying to you skin it feels like wearing stocking~. :wink:

It is water-proof as well. Hope it help you!~ :P

Hey, thanks joycee! Where can i get those? How waterproof isit? can last thru swimming test? That is if i manage to get there! hurhur :D

kirstin84

Post by kirstin84 » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 8:15 pm

hi don't worry about the scars on your legs because from the way i see it they only check those areas that are not covered by kebaya eg. lower arm, neck, face. there was a girl who has a scar on her face, looks like a deep cut and she is through to the water confid test. i find her pretty though.

ms'dowager
Regular
Regular

Post by ms'dowager » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 9:25 pm

Intrinsic Dreamer

Thanks so much for your help my dear.
How about the 1 to 1 interview? How is it like? :D

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:00 pm

Thinkerbelle, I'll definitely post after my water-confidence test to let you know what happened!! :D

Thinkerbelle, don't worry about about scars on the leg. After the walk, they'll check your face, neck, lower arms, both sides of your hands and nails. If scars on the face aren't that bad & can be covered by concealers, it will be ok.
My group mate had a pimple outbreak but passed the skin check too. After we went out of the ballroom, the beautician followed her out & asked her how often it happened, told her to take care of her skin, drink more water and blah blah. The beautician was really nice.

Ms dowager, what happened during my interview is in my post on page 14 alr... :)

And ya, it is NOT a 1-1 interview. Some tables had 2 interviewers. This round is just an INTERVIEW.

Anyway, We were just chatting here and there... I told myself that I had to make it so i was very natural and of course, polite with her. I was sitting straight & she was pretty relaxed.

I think this round should be the easiest. Actually I would say that the entire interview is manageable. Just don't think too much.

This interview they ask different qns based on your background. I got different qns from those who were poly grads. I overheard the other girls in the room.
They were asked to speak more on their experience in school & why not go hotels for work instead..

haha.. Ms dowager, don't worry!! :)

It really is simple. Just talk to them. Be natural. NEVER be arrogant, thats one thing. NEVER. Watch how u phrase your sentences.

Are u trying for all the airlines?

Intrinsic Dreamer

Post by Intrinsic Dreamer » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:05 am

Anyone else out there who has water confidence test on wed or fri? :?

p3i86

Post by p3i86 » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:41 am

Intrinsic Dreamer wrote:Anyone else out there who has water confidence test on wed or fri? :?
mine on wednesday...845am anyone on the same day?
any idea what will the check for during water confidence?

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 1:00 am

p3i86 wrote:any idea what will the check for during water confidence?
Just a wild guess you understand, but I'm going to hazard and guess and say...... confidence in water? But seriously, I'm sure that you can find the answer if you just did a little search around the forum.

p3i86

Post by p3i86 » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 1:04 am

jencrs wrote:
p3i86 wrote:any idea what will the check for during water confidence?
Just a wild guess you understand, but I'm going to hazard and guess and say...... confidence in water? But seriously, I'm sure that you can find the answer if you just did a little search around the forum.
i read the forum....maybe i missed it or probably i nv get a specific ans becos it varies from diff recruitment...