Singapore Expats

The best way to trade US & European equity markets?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
solarv
Chatter
Chatter

The best way to trade US & European equity markets?

Post by solarv » Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:07 pm

Is anyone trading US & European equity markets? What is the best platform to use considering fund transfer, commission and client service for a person like me physically residing in Singapore? Please advise. Appreciate your reply. Thanks.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: The best way to trade US & European equity markets?

Post by ksl » Wed, 11 Oct 2006 1:19 pm

solarv wrote:Is anyone trading US & European equity markets? What is the best platform to use considering fund transfer, commission and client service for a person like me physically residing in Singapore? Please advise. Appreciate your reply. Thanks.
The Taiex is much more volatile! More risk bigger and quicker profits & losses! My broker is KGI.Taiwan

http://www.kgieworld.com.tw/

He may be able to help you out, you will have to transfer funds to a bank in Taiwan though, to someone who is resident, I think! Europe & US are far too boring for me.
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ehuat

Post by ehuat » Thu, 12 Oct 2006 6:07 pm

Hi Solarv,

You may want to check out with local brokers in Singapore. Most of them offer trading platform for you to trade US, UK and Asian stock exchanges. The commission varies but qutie competitve, eg US$20 to $30 per trade.

If you are more adventurious, you may open account with online US brokers. Some of them allow trading in European exchanges. The commission are much lower than the local brokers eg. $8 to 15 per trade. One of the considerations is that you need to place a fund with them before trading.

Best wishes.

generisvague

Interested in Futures & Forex trading instead?

Post by generisvague » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 10:45 pm

Hi there,

Well. I'm a futures broker. We could have a little chat if you're interested in trading futures contracts (Major Mkt Indices, US , Eur, Asia) or commodties or forex, or in fact any contracts as long as they're listed on any known exchanges in the world.

Okay. So. Let me know if you wanna talk more..

batliwala
Editor
Editor

Post by batliwala » Wed, 15 Nov 2006 2:20 pm

solarv wrote:Is anyone trading US & European equity markets? What is the best platform to use considering fund transfer, commission and client service for a person like me physically residing in Singapore? Please advise. Appreciate your reply. Thanks.
I have not traded on Eurporean equity markets, but have been trading in US markets. I have opened an account with philip securites and yes its commission rates are bit high @USD25 minimum. I was tempted to open accounts with Scottrade, Ameritrade, Fidelity etc, who charge a flat commission rate of USD7 to 8 for any online trade more than 1 dollars, but you have to open an account by depositing USD10000. I finally opted for Philips securities as the money transfers are hasslefree through Giro or EPS (Electronic payment for shares). settlements are T+5 for sells and T+3 for buys.

Check Philip Securities website: www.poems.com.sg

You can find the links for Ameritrade, Scottrade, Fidelity,cybertrader etc...at www.marketwatch.com

You can start trading once you CDP linkage is approved, when you open an account with philip securities. Trust me the returns are very good on US markets if you have the holding power on some of the good scrips.

batli

babilon

currency trading

Post by babilon » Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:13 am

any ideas where to start?

jereal

Post by jereal » Sun, 03 Dec 2006 9:00 am

you can try this broking house https://www.optionsxpress.com , I use them to trade US equities and options
"Share your opinions through Blogging !"

kelamel

Post by kelamel » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:52 am

For the US market, you can usee DMG online.
Its much better than poems as it has stop loss/gain options....
For poems you dont have that feature.

Kurozu
Regular
Regular

Execution time is most important

Post by Kurozu » Tue, 27 Feb 2007 3:38 pm

In my opinion, Ameritrade, Etrade etc are the best for those who want to do US equity trading. I use Etrade to place my trade in Japan and US stock, and I am quite happy and content.

There are so many trading platforms that almost everyone is offering the same service. But beware of those who offer low commission because it only means that your order will not be executed instantly. The time it takes to execute an order is very important especially in a crucial time when stock is plummeting 20% or more, or when the market crashes. I would rather pay more to cover my loses in a few second execution order than to wait for 20-30mins before my order is executed. There are many other things to consider too, so do your due diligence carefully.

Remember, the market is designed to make you lose money. It is how you play that makes the difference.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

solarv
Chatter
Chatter

Post by solarv » Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:51 pm

anyone uses POEMS to trade US shares? what are the pros and cons?

Kurozu
Regular
Regular

Post by Kurozu » Thu, 01 Mar 2007 2:06 pm

I wonder if anybody rush to sell yesterday?

Today it seems that the market is rebounding, or is it?

Well, my stock value lost alot yesterday, but I bought a lot of cheap stocks at the same time and sold a lot in the morning..... :P
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."