Singapore Expats

This one's for ksl! :?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

This one's for ksl! :?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 2:32 pm

1 in 3 homes dependent on state benefits

By Brendan Carlin, Political Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:31am GMT 12/02/2007

One in three households across Britain is now dependent on the state for at least half its income, it emerged today. Official government figures showed that more than seven million households are getting more of their income from government handouts.

The figures also reveal the huge gulf in welfare dependency between single parent and two-parent households.

The report is scathing about how New Labour welfare policy has been designed to "create beholden voters rather than independent people".

In many single-parent homes with two children, the proportion of families that would be financially crippled without state support is now as high as 61 per cent. That compares with just nine per cent in a two-parent home.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 2:41 pm

SMS, do they get a credit card application with their government handout?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 3:15 pm

I wouldn't take figures quoted from that paper too seriously; the paper concerned is what I describe as a 'right-wing' rag none too reliable.
However, there is some substance to the report (which I have yet to read) as the disparity between incomes has been getting wider not least due to David Cameron's own party when they were last in power. The report would be scathing about New Labour - there's an election round the corner.

From newspaper article; It rose during the 1970s and 1980s, especially because of soaring unemployment under the Thatcher government.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: This one's for ksl! :?

Post by ksl » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:1 in 3 homes dependent on state benefits

By Brendan Carlin, Political Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:31am GMT 12/02/2007

One in three households across Britain is now dependent on the state for at least half its income, it emerged today. Official government figures showed that more than seven million households are getting more of their income from government handouts.

The figures also reveal the huge gulf in welfare dependency between single parent and two-parent households.

The report is scathing about how New Labour welfare policy has been designed to "create beholden voters rather than independent people".

In many single-parent homes with two children, the proportion of families that would be financially crippled without state support is now as high as 61 per cent. That compares with just nine per cent in a two-parent home.
From the point of any UK government, be it new labour,(a branch of the conservative party) designed to con the lower work force, which is the majority of manual workers and unskilled labour in UK.

Here are some figures from 02/03 from the National Statisics office. http://www.tutor2u.net/newsmanager/templates/?a=24&z=

2 out of 3 households on benefit, I believe is about right, with one out of 3 working in the black economy too! it's called survival and because government minimum wages and suppliment benifit is given, to exist, not live.
That is why two fingers are put up, at the government, many people make a better living drawing their benefits, working and also crime, because of the breakdown of the police force.

The police are far too busy making cash and reaching financial targets, to be bothered with, what is classified

Means that all these people are willing to break the law to work for extra cash to live, nobody wants to exist for the affluent 10% running the Country.

The artificial number crunching to attract investment, is not in the interests of the majority, when the government has the purse strings.

I'm surprised we haven't had a revolution yet! Although most are to busy watching football.
Political education needs to be on the school agenda, this is a focal point of ones own destiny, within the Country.

This is what is needed to bring the UK into the line of democracy, there can never be a democracy, when people are surpressed economically and held to ransom.

This is not free market forces at work, in my opinion, but the systematic rape of a Country, to benefit a few privileged individuals.

Criminals paradise and every criminal within Europe is invited, helps to build the smoke screen, to hide what is really going on in UK. DONT WORRY GUYS, THE PRISONS ARE FULL NOW, IT'S OPEN HOUSE! Your all welcome to the action. :P

What ever you do, don't tell the truth! Otherwise you get nothing. Lie, Cheat and deceive, so we can employ more Civil servants, because we thrive on chaos! :wink:

Huggybear & SMS, You don't have to go to America to get rich! although I can see your point, with 300 million V's 60 million, all those suckers out there :cool:

Bankings got to be the easiest and most legal way to become super rich! :P