Singapore Expats

Must the complexity be simplified to hide the inevitable ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Victor_rs

Must the complexity be simplified to hide the inevitable ?

Post by Victor_rs » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 5:33 am

The subject is directly linked to the manipulation of the mass media when they hide the reality to the society with the excuse of protection.

This question is interesting because it can be applied to a couple for example when they lye to protect the other from suffering. Another example is the government or medias hiding social realities to the society.

The first problem is the knowledge of the complexity, sometimes there is a lack of knowledge and the simplification is only misunderstanding. Even if the complexity is well known and then well simplified, there is a danger that the simplification is modified for personal reasons or to take advantage of this knowledge.

The last discussion is about the inevitable, even if there is a good will to protect something from a danger its necessary to think about the danger of hiding the true when the inevitable is in fact evitable.

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:41 am

Now victor I know you are a bit of a philosphical person, but it is hard to take your philosophy seriously when you use lye in the ingredients, leaves a bad taste.

And I think we all need to learn what punctuation is again.

Carletta

Post by Carletta » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:55 am

Now your just trying to be clever Victor :???:

Communicating complex issues clearly takes alot of thought.

...and are we allowed to talk about the mass media in Singapore?! I found it amusing how the Straits Times at the weekend had several big articles on the benefits of the Gov raising GST...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:59 am

Carletta wrote:Now your just trying to be clever Victor :???:

Communicating complex issues clearly takes alot of thought.

...and are we allowed to talk about the mass media in Singapore?! I found it amusing how the Straits Times at the weekend had several big articles on the benefits of the Gov raising GST...
*hoist by own petard smilie* "Now you're just trying to be clever Victor :???: " :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

2die4
Regular
Regular

Post by 2die4 » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:57 am

lost_canuck wrote:Now victor I know you are a bit of a philosphical person, but it is hard to take your philosophy seriously when you use lye in the ingredients, leaves a bad taste.

And I think we all need to learn what punctuation is again.
hahaha.... :lol: take it easy on the guy L_C...

but yeah, Victor... although this is an informal forum... it pays to know your grammar and use of the English language to be able to send your message across effectively... :wink:
"Quod me nutruit, me destruit..."

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:06 pm

2dir4: No worries, I have seen some 'Indigenous' english speakers completely slaughter the language.

:cry: :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:23 pm

ME! But I never claimed to be educamated! :P Just an ole farmboy!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:25 pm

But do you know the difference between common cents and common sense? :P

2die4
Regular
Regular

Re: Must the complexity be simplified to hide the inevitable

Post by 2die4 » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 1:38 pm

Victor_rs wrote:The subject is directly linked to the manipulation of the mass media when they hide the reality to the society with the excuse of protection.

This question is interesting because it can be applied to a couple for example when they lye to protect the other from suffering. Another example is the government or medias hiding social realities to the society.

The first problem is the knowledge of the complexity, sometimes there is a lack of knowledge and the simplification is only misunderstanding. Even if the complexity is well known and then well simplified, there is a danger that the simplification is modified for personal reasons or to take advantage of this knowledge.

The last discussion is about the inevitable, even if there is a good will to protect something from a danger its necessary to think about the danger of hiding the true when the inevitable is in fact evitable.
that's why we are all taught not to believe everything we read, see or hear from the media...

it is still best for us to research and know for ourselves the truth and the depth of every news or information we receive... :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 1:53 pm

lost_canuck wrote:But do you know the difference between common cents and common sense? :P
The first one I can rub together? The last one is the pong from the cows loafing shed? :oops: That's common scents ain't it! :wink:

No wonder non-native speaker have such a problem! :(

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 3:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
lost_canuck wrote:But do you know the difference between common cents and common sense? :P
The first one I can rub together? The last one is the pong from the cows loafing shed? :oops: That's common scents ain't it! :wink:

only round where yer from ;) I may be from Cow town but those scents were rare, cept stampede week :cool:

No wonder non-native speaker have such a problem! :(
and I was once told english is one of the hardest languages to learn *shrug* I think it is easy to learn perhaps more difficult to master ;)[/b]

Victor_rs

Post by Victor_rs » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 6:15 pm

The subject was proposed in a philosophical meeting in France: Doit-on simplifier le profond pour cacher l’inévitable ? I suppose that the woman who proposed the subject was asking herself about the utility of a lye in human relationships, she may try to simplify the complexity of the concept of love and hate, hiding the feelings of hate to avoid suffering to her partner. There is not too much of philosophical to go through these feelings and accept your hate to your partner as part of life. So the rest of the people including myself found more interesting to translate the problem to the world of the mass media as a similar tool used by governments and elite groups in many countries including Singapore to take advantage for personal interest.

From your comments I see the difficulty of express freely about the subject concerning the Singapore media and maybe we can retake it from another angle to go ahead.

I propose you to define the utility of “lye”

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 7:14 pm

[quote="Victor_rs"]The subject was proposed in a philosophical meeting in France: Doit-on simplifier le profond pour cacher l’inévitable ? I suppose that the woman who proposed the subject was asking herself about the utility of a lye in human relationships, she may try to simplify the complexity of the concept of love and hate, hiding the feelings of hate to avoid suffering to her partner. There is not too much of philosophical to go through these feelings and accept your hate to your partner as part of life. So the rest of the people including myself found more interesting to translate the problem to the world of the mass media as a similar tool used by governments and elite groups in many countries including Singapore to take advantage for personal interest.

From your comments I see the difficulty of express freely about the subject concerning the Singapore media and maybe we can retake it from another angle to go ahead.

I propose you to define the utility of “lye”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 9:40 pm

L_C, the guy's hung up on himself! He cannot see the woods for the trees!

You would think after it being brought up a couple of times he would have the common sense ( :oops: there it is again!) to look it up. Or do you suppose he thinks all of us have the same void between our ears as he has between his!

If he wasn't confused before he got here he will be by the time he leaves. Maybe we ought to go to his website and post all our garbage on his thread there. (course he would probably delete it if he doesn't agree with us. Or is that we don't agree with him? I so confused...... :???:

2die4
Regular
Regular

Post by 2die4 » Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:L_C, the guy's hung up on himself! He cannot see the woods for the trees!

You would think after it being brought up a couple of times he would have the common sense ( :oops: there it is again!) to look it up. Or do you suppose he thinks all of us have the same void between our ears as he has between his!

If he wasn't confused before he got here he will be by the time he leaves. Maybe we ought to go to his website and post all our garbage on his thread there. (course he would probably delete it if he doesn't agree with us. Or is that we don't agree with him? I so confused...... :???:
hahaha :lol: :wink:

keep your cool guys... i'm really enjoying this forum... :wink: