Singapore Expats

NEVER TRUST BANKS

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 06 Feb 2007 1:00 am

Huggybear says:remember...banks as most corporations are FOR PROFIT entites.

they are in business to make money...not to satisfy the consumer.
Most business are to make profit! although the government run or backed companies, all seem to abuse the consumer rights, with underhand billing, take the utillity companies also, and government run agencies all trying to exploit the consumer. Pay in advance in most cases for services, that are crap.

If Banks are not in business to satisfy, the consumer, which is what i have always believed too, one would think, they would go bankrupt right! However lets talk indirect price fixing? Within the Banks consortium.

The banks work against all fundimental business practice of satisfying the wants and needs of consumer!

So how do they survive? I'm referring to UK banks.! There is no place to run too, if they are all in it together in designing bank policy.

Banks can only do this if they are protected by government, we are forced to use banks, we don't have a choice! and yes in many Countries banks are fine, that's why I maintain my Danish Bank connection and get fantastic satisfaction telling my British bank, that they cannot compete with my Danish bank....

Denmark banking is personal customer service treatment, friendly first name basis, and that's worth more than i can say.

There is no personal service in UK that I know of, and every bank are like a prison visiting room...Due the the American culture exchange, that takes over the deadbeats of UK, I believe the UK plan maybe even to Americanise UK, god forbid now that Georgy has his little faggot and Chips in tow, (British PORK meatball :lol: )

To be honest if i was in the banking system too, I would be of the same view, of those ripping off the public no doubt.

what makes me laugh actually, is that you believe America is transparent in business practise, I don't believe there is a Country in the world that is transparent.

Corruption is deap seated in Americas corporations, as any other place in the world, only some of the laws condone it more in some countries, with a slap on the wrist, or a maxium fine, which is like, Great now let me get started on the next company! :D with several million tucked away some place.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Tue, 06 Feb 2007 7:56 am

corporations will do the least possible customer service to maximize profit. at least in america. that is why there is room for foreign companies to come in and steal business i.e. singapore air. or look at toyota...they making freaking boring ass cars to drive but are very customer friendly.

corruption is everywhere but you have to admit it's at least properly prosecuted (look at Kenneth Lay, or a variety of politicians). if you get caught...and people do...then you will lose everything and be sent to jail. Only person i know of who hasn't been caught on a major level is George Bush and Dick Cheney. but look at the korean hyundai exec found guilty of bribery. the judge reduced his sentence from six years to three years because of all the good he has done for the country as Hyundai then most likely he will receive a presidential pardon after having spent maybe 2 weeks in jail. and i'm sure he has a lot of $$$ parked in swiss bank accounts next to all the nazi war money.

maybe the "personal" service in the UK is lost within the famed reserved british attitude?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 08 Feb 2007 2:49 am

Huggybear: maybe the "personal" service in the UK is lost within the famed reserved british attitude
You could be right there!

After reading some of your threads, I do believe, that I may have been sitting next to you in the food junction 4th floor at Marina Parade, when you say, you are 3X the size of Singaporeans. Were you the one with family around the table, or am i mistaken.

I have a close friend from Saint Vincent who keeps on at me to move back over there with him, I guess he's home sick after all these years in Europe, although he's never been on a plane and is quite terrified of the thought ha!

I laugh because he's been talking of moving back for the last 15 years.

Anyway just want to say I'm a reformed person, doing all this self realisation stuff, to find out what this life is all about! Seems to be Banks :P and more Banks! :lol:

It's really nice to be at the age, where money doesn't really matter anymore, although my wife wouldn't agree! I believe health and positive thinking to be more important, and now I have seen the video about "The Secret" of the universes and how wealth is attracted, I just sit here with a smile on my face, and wishing my wife was a millionairess, so that I can give my brain a rest. :D

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Thu, 08 Feb 2007 1:48 pm

Hah! no...no family that i am aware of...

don't even know where this marina thing is...only been here 2.5 weeks now. mostly chilling along orchard...CQ...raffles...trying to figure out my routine and meet people.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:34 am

huggybear wrote:Hah! no...no family that i am aware of...

don't even know where this marina thing is...only been here 2.5 weeks now. mostly chilling along orchard...CQ...raffles...trying to figure out my routine and meet people.
So how do you compare Singapore, with the rest of the places, you have been. I can see through your text, that you must be at least in your mid to late 30's, possibly early 40's but I doubt your are much older.

Are you also into investing? shares that is, I don't like to play Russian roulette unless I take second chance, I value my wife, not my life, if you can figure that out.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by huggybear » Sat, 10 Feb 2007 9:21 pm

ksl wrote:So how do you compare Singapore, with the rest of the places, you have been. I can see through your text, that you must be at least in your mid to late 30's, possibly early 40's but I doubt your are much older.

Are you also into investing? shares that is, I don't like to play Russian roulette unless I take second chance, I value my wife, not my life, if you can figure that out.
hah! quite a loaded question. each place i have been to has their individual charm and reason for being attractive. and there is a downside to living in most places too. i'm 30 but wiser beyond my years.

i really like singapore so far but it's not hard to like a place for 2 weeks. i feel like i live in a resort on hawaii. everyday is beautiful and life is pretty easy. with that the downsides are that people here are very inefficient, bad service (i.e. restaturants, etc). people tend to view "expats" such as myself as outsiders here for only 3 years...which i find weird because all the "locals" are really from fuijan province of china. in nyc, london, etc a large % of the population is also transient but it's easier to integrate into the local scene.

as for investing...been out of it for a few months but going to get back in. i don't quite know where to start but want to get into vietnam as i feel that they are coming from the bronze age so they have a lot of catching up to do and will have some explosive growth. or half thinking of buying a place in auckland which i here is quite nice and still kinda cheap.

the only thing i miss here in singapore is having free thinkers and young emerging trend setters. everyone here is a trend follower in that they only want brand name merchandise or eat at a brand name restaurant. in the western world there are a ton of innovative inventive chefs, clothes designers, music bands, artists etc. yes yes i know people will say there is one band that plays on the third wednesday of march on a leap year in some bar in holland v. but in most western cities any day of the night you can go out and see an interesting act.

i'm not complaining singaporeans so no need to fill up my inbox, but these are a few things that could be improved on. i think so far my most favorite place i have been to and would love to live in is tokyo. and that city is the most messed up from a social / society standpoint.

and of course...the women are b l a z e. :cool:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:22 am

Read the latest update Consumers complaining about banks, 1,000 a day are calling the Ombudsman, wanting to take the banks to court!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6385665.stm

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:23 pm

ksl wrote:Read the latest update Consumers complaining about banks, 1,000 a day are calling the Ombudsman, wanting to take the banks to court!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6385665.stm
Surprise surprise Nat West Bank will be taken to court on the 13th of April, after they failed to buy off the offender, after he ran up a debt while studying. Now a barrister he intends to take it all the way to the courts, to attempt to prove, what banks are doing, charging 30 pounds a letter, is in fact illegal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/m ... 530315.stm

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:49 pm

Not quite true Ksl, yet to be proven;

Extracted from article contained in link;

Over the past year consumer groups have been claiming that penalty charges are unlawful and should be refunded.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 12:08 am

Plavt wrote:Not quite true Ksl, yet to be proven;

Over the past year consumer groups have been claiming that penalty charges are unlawful and should be refunded.
ksl wrote:Now a barrister he intends to take it all the way to the courts, to attempt to prove, what banks are doing, charging 30 pounds a letter, is in fact illegal.
Am I missing something here? Or is somebody just not reading the same thing I am? Didn't you both just say exactly the same thing? Where's the beef?
:???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 1:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

ksl wrote:Now a barrister he intends to take it all the way to the courts, to attempt to prove, what banks are doing, charging 30 pounds a letter, is in fact illegal.
Am I missing something here? Or is somebody just not reading the same thing I am? Didn't you both just say exactly the same thing? Where's the beef?
:???:
Your quite right SMS, we did say the same thing, not yet proven, that's why the barrister will take it all the way to the court!

Although it is Saturday in UK and PLAVT maybe on the bottle! :lol: Only joking! :) Oh how i could down a couple of my favourite chilled beers right now! :cry:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 1:46 am

ksl wrote:what banks are doing, charging 30 pounds a letter, is in fact illegal.

No ksl I am not on the bottle (yet :D must have one for sms ), have to confess I misunderstood your statement. :oops:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 4:13 pm

You two keep it up and you'll be another combo kinda like GR & myself! :wink: :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 9:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You two keep it up and you'll be another combo kinda like GR & myself! :wink: :o
Ahem, Mr Moderator... I believe you're in the Strictly Speaking section.

(Sorry, can't resist.)

ps: Your new signature / link is excellent! Even I didn't know there was so much info available about Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:58 am

I like to read this one!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6559673.stm

Have you heard any news on that court case yet?