Singapore Expats

SIA educational requirements

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

SIA educational requirements

Post by xmischax » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 2:54 pm

At least 2 GCE ‘A’-level credits and 2 ‘O’-level credits including General Paper in the GCE ‘A’-level examination; or a Diploma from a local Polytechnic.
(Those with at least 5 GCE ‘O’-level credits, including English, and relevant working experience may also apply).

they stated that they accept diplomas from local polytechnics. i am going to take dip in aerospace electronics engineering at sp, that won`t be a problem, but what if i decide to take the dip in visual communications from nafa instead? nafa is a government funded institution which the moe considers equivalent to polytechnics. government grants of the same capacity is provided for locals studying in polys/nafa/lasalle. does SIA accepts diplomas from nafa?

what do you guys think? have any of you who are trainees/FAs used a dip from nafa to fulfill the educational requirement?

this is rather urgent - help!

camperboy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by camperboy » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 4:58 pm

you could actually call them and ask or email u noe..

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 6:08 pm

hi there

they might ask you for your interest in AEROspace during the the 1to1 or mgmt interview but they wont penalise you. as long as you make sense i am sure you will be okay but try to think up a reason first.

actually they just want their applicant to be qualified and with a certain qualification, so get your diploma at least before applyijng. cos after round 1, they want your certs to be registered. they will only take in your highest qualification.

my friend who is a male only had O levels and was turned away so it can be quite stressing to get turned away at that point after getting thru round 1
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 6:41 pm

camperboy wrote:you could actually call them and ask or email u noe..
do you know the number or email address?

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 6:42 pm

corines, actually i like both courses but i`m in a dilemma. don`t know which to take. i don`t mind both courses though. but then if taking the nafa dip means i can`t meet SIA`s requirements, i`ll rather take the sp dip.

Joycee
Regular
Regular

Re: SIA educational requirements

Post by Joycee » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 8:28 pm

xmischax wrote:
At least 2 GCE ‘A’-level credits and 2 ‘O’-level credits including General Paper in the GCE ‘A’-level examination; or a Diploma from a local Polytechnic.
(Those with at least 5 GCE ‘O’-level credits, including English, and relevant working experience may also apply).

they stated that they accept diplomas from local polytechnics. i am going to take dip in aerospace electronics engineering at sp, that won`t be a problem, but what if i decide to take the dip in visual communications from nafa instead? nafa is a government funded institution which the moe considers equivalent to polytechnics. government grants of the same capacity is provided for locals studying in polys/nafa/lasalle. does SIA accepts diplomas from nafa?

what do you guys think? have any of you who are trainees/FAs used a dip from nafa to fulfill the educational requirement?

this is rather urgent - help!

Why don't you go for hospitalilty in SP? It is a Hot course~ Can i think it will help you get in SIA easier. Cos you will be going for internship in big hotels or restaurants. Then from there you can also gain some experiences which is useful for your resume. Also you can ask your supervisor to write you a testimonial.

My friend is from SP, Business and major in tourism. She got in easily.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 9:24 pm

Joycee wrote:
Why don't you go for hospitalilty in SP? It is a Hot course~ Can i think it will help you get in SIA easier.
A hospitality course will not gaurantee success. although your friend succeeded that does not mean it will be easy for anybody else, best to leave people to their own devices. :wink:

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:43 pm

mischax. just study whatever u desire. it really doesnt matter.
This ie because alot of us who applied have disciplines in various industries and in the end, we still apply and get thru. The most important thing now is where your interest lie. i know you would rather take a course which SIA finds you know your own direction BUT if you take it just to please them and then later you quit SIA few years down the road.. then how are u gonna find another job else where with that diploma? u get my drift? you have think ahead as well.

which is why i am advising u to FOCUS on what u really want to work as long term. I did not focus and plan very well before. i jumped from industry to industry BUT luckily i studied a Business degree with a a General major hence i still have confidence to do this. but for you if u study "aerospace" or "design" i think you would have to stick to these two industries only in future.
SIA still accepts ppl with various backgrounds for now.. so its ok whichever you choose my dear.

Question is do u think you will be in SIA for along time or is SIA just to help u pass time? If it is, then Invest and study a diploma which will bring you farrrrrrrrr for future's sake

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Sat, 20 Jan 2007 7:03 am

Joycee wrote: Why don't you go for hospitalilty in SP? It is a Hot course~ Can i think it will help you get in SIA easier. Cos you will be going for internship in big hotels or restaurants. Then from there you can also gain some experiences which is useful for your resume. Also you can ask your supervisor to write you a testimonial.

i wanna study something i`m interested in, not study something just because it`s hot.. you know. and i`m working in the service line now. so it doesn`t really matter, i guess. :)

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Sat, 20 Jan 2007 7:10 am

corines, i get your drift. but what i mean here is that i`ve always wanted to study either visual comm or aerospace. i took all my sec sch years to think about it but i never made a decision. i have all sorts of dreams. like i wanna study visual comm cos i`ve loved and have been involved in arts and design all these while. but then at the same time, aviation is also my dream. i think i mentioned that if i was tall enough, i`ll try for pilot. lol

but of course i know that a person cannot have everything. i have to give up something. i`m thinking of taking visual comm instead cos i aspire to become a stewardess and will still try when i graduate. won`t give up. then this way, i`ll fulfill both dreams. like if i leave SIA, then i still can go back to design and arts.

but the thing is, if having a nafa dip means i can`t meet the requirements for SIA, then i`ll rather study aerospace as i can be an aircraft engineer even if i leave or don`t make it to SIA.

but anyways, i`ve decided. i`m going to take visual comm at nafa. even if SIA don`t accept nafa dip holders next time, then well, so be it. if not i`ll just try. i was told by my friend that if it`s a dip from lasalle or nafa, they`ll not reject you but they will take a little while to review your dip, something they won`t do if you`re holding a poly dip.

thanks all anyways! :D

lindyhoppe
Regular
Regular

Post by lindyhoppe » Sat, 20 Jan 2007 4:38 pm

Well said.
corines143 wrote:mischax. just study whatever u desire. it really doesnt matter.
This ie because alot of us who applied have disciplines in various industries and in the end, we still apply and get thru. The most important thing now is where your interest lie. i know you would rather take a course which SIA finds you know your own direction BUT if you take it just to please them and then later you quit SIA few years down the road.. then how are u gonna find another job else where with that diploma? u get my drift? you have think ahead as well.

which is why i am advising u to FOCUS on what u really want to work as long term. I did not focus and plan very well before. i jumped from industry to industry BUT luckily i studied a Business degree with a a General major hence i still have confidence to do this. but for you if u study "aerospace" or "design" i think you would have to stick to these two industries only in future.
SIA still accepts ppl with various backgrounds for now.. so its ok whichever you choose my dear.

Question is do u think you will be in SIA for along time or is SIA just to help u pass time? If it is, then Invest and study a diploma which will bring you farrrrrrrrr for future's sake

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Sat, 20 Jan 2007 5:17 pm

It's good to have inspirations in life but do know your priorities especially when you're in Singapore.

You have to lay the what IFs and work from there.

M :cool:

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 7:02 pm

OOPPPSsss Mischax - i think you better study a dip in what u are interested in cos your interest your vision your dream willl bring you far.

The fact that you posted up your photo here already and that you mentioned to us all that you are in SIA just to pass time, well it is giving me that impression. SIA interviewers might be reading up this forum like now and taking note of you and when they see you in the next recruitment, They will take note of what you just said above. Hence Be Tactful dear.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 8:03 pm

corines143 wrote: The fact that you posted up your photo here already and that you mentioned to us all that you are in SIA just to pass time, well it is giving me that impression. SIA interviewers might be reading up this forum like now and taking note of you and when they see you in the next recruitment, They will take note of what you just said above. Hence Be Tactful dear.
Such things are possible but the interviewers may not take that too seriously; peoples ambitions, intentions and thoughts change as they get older. In any case for many people being a stewardess is only an interim occupation; a fact SIA management themselves either freely or inadvertently admit.

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Sun, 21 Jan 2007 8:07 pm

mentioned to you guys that i want to be in SIA just to pass time?! when did i say that! lol..

i think you guys still don`t get what i`m trying to say here.. i`m facing a dilemma now, whether to study aerospace or visual comm because both are my interests and whichever i choose to take, i`m taking it because it`s my interest. to be a SIA FA have always been my dream, that`s why i`m trying out. but then if SIA doesn`t accepts dips from nafa, then i wouldn`t mind going for aerospace really, cos that`s my interest too. but then i`ve already decided to go to nafa now to take visual comm, so if SIA doesn`t accept it, then well so be it. i mean, really. nobody can say if i`ll make it to become a FA or if i make it, whether i`ll be there when i`m older right. airlines have got such high turnovers for FAs. so taking the dip is a must for me for now, cos i`m still young. so if i leave SIA or don`t make it, i`ll have the skills to do something that fits my interests. i`m just planning for my future, really.

do you guys get it? i hope you do! lol