Singapore Expats

I am 55; A first generation account of the unravelling of Sg

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Equalizer

I am 55; A first generation account of the unravelling of Sg

Post by Equalizer » Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:16 pm

Reposted from Find Singapore.net forum

http://www.findsingapore.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260

:) :) :)

[Please don't cut and paste from other forums - Links will do nicely - Thanks. Bafana :cool: ]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:37 pm

Why not just post the link to the article? :-|

[cut and paste removed. Bafana :cool: ]
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Equalizer

Post by Equalizer » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:36 am

mystic law

Post by mystic law » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:39 am

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 3:45 am

Well I must admit, I quite enjoyed reading the post, probably because I am 1 year older, and was actually here in 1970-71. and pretty well on my way, with a bottle of gin and two tonics, I have to say that, becuase i've just realised it is not from the original poster. :oops: but with an nick like equaliser it could well be one of the same.

I can see that you are very fortunate, to come from a kampung, to the position you have, in such a short time, I also notice that you are grateful for what you have.

When compared to many British that served and died out here in Asia, I often wonder how, there relatives are surviving too.

I experienced the life in Sin City, I also left school at 14, becuase my 15th birthday was in the school holidays, I was indentured into the building industry in 1965 for 2 pounds and 50 old pence.

Basically without going into my life story, I think you will find many comparable stories, of better and worse.

Many British would read your history and would feel envious, at least your Country does have some progress to see.

Great Britain, I'm afraid is a bigger sham than Singapore, with average house prices at 175,000 pounds for a chicken hut.

A National Health System which is dangerous to your health, with most talent moving away, and many hospitals with dangerous levels of infectious bacteria's on the wards.

A social security system for everyone in the world except British, because they don't qualify for one reason or the other.

I could go on and on, but what the hell, it's all in the past, all the government promises of the UK, not one was realised in my life time, now that is what I call sad!

It's all a mess and so what! at 56 I stick two fingers up to them all and say fcuk all the politician, i wouldn't piss on any of them if they was on fire, They are all con artists, end of story, along with all the institutional cons.!

Anarchy rules UK, the government is full of pussies, faggots and dykes with No1 man getting shafted in the Bush's. In more than 300 years, the British have been waiting for there rewards of loyalty, only a chosen few my friend, just like Singapore. Pensions, Save as you earn and all that crap, isn't worth shite, when it comes to getting paid out.

There is always excuses for bad performance of investments, that's why it's better to handle your own investments.

Tired at 55, I should think so working 6 days a week, what more do you want, you have more than many in UK & Singapore, if I was you I would cash it in now and resign yourself to enjoying life, you know, as i know, the older we get, the less funds we need.

Sell up and get a life! With what you have you can live a life of luxury in India, and with your skills, you can always get by, You would get much more enjoyment being yourself, working the hours you want, and having more quality time with your family and hobbies.

I've met very few people here with hobbies, those that play golf, well I ask myself is it a hobby or an image?

You cannot take it away from Singapore, that it is a good Country, even if it is boring at times.

But I think the working hours are criminal and the masses are ripped off on low income, I would only work those hours in a job I enjoyed doing.

What saddens me more in Asia, is that many women are pretty useless, in the home, cannot cook, cannot do much at all, and are pretty much a liability, whinging at the slightest bit of housework or cooking, the think simply because they have a degree, that they are exempt from being a houswife and want servants.

I blame the parents that have neglected to house train, many of these women, making them conscentrate on education only, to support their famly in old age.

Old tradition that doesn't belong in the real world anymore, it's sad that children here are neglected because of the pressures of work, it's time the government should realise the damage it's doing.

What happend to the roles of individuals, I lived in Denmark and adapted to the 50/50 work load in the home pretty well, from a male chauvinist Country like UK, was a big cultural shock, Now I get another one in Asia :shock: :( :D although I'm happy because I really don't need the help, it's just an observation.

BTW OP do you recall the Dunlop plantation just across the border, stayed up there a few times and had wonderful times, with the locals, especially football, and yes we lost every time, although alot of skill was observed, thanks to the rattan ball.

BearHug
Regular
Regular

Post by BearHug » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:21 am

Interesting posting.

Thanks for sharing. :)
TheTimeIsAlwaysRightToDoWhatIsRight. Image

Rakamboj

Really a good one

Post by Rakamboj » Thu, 11 Jan 2007 4:24 pm

It alway good to share memories .They keep the people alive and feel good at heart.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 12 Jan 2007 1:22 am

Interesting story (reality?), but one reference I didn't catch:
Lee Kuan Yew made that famous speech in 1973 and the stock market collapsed.
What speech? :???:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Jan 2007 9:53 am

Yes it is an interesting story and documented as well in the local press. As the story was originally published, should the cut & paste even be left up due to copyright issues? He cut it from the original aut hors' post instead of just posting the link initially.

Equalizer, why are you posting with both of your nicks "equalizer" and "mystic law" in the same post? Don't you know we are aware you two are one and the same?

[Cut and paste removed mate as you so rightly pointed out. Bafana :cool: ]
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 1:19 pm

jpatokal wrote:Interesting story (reality?), but one reference I didn't catch:
Lee Kuan Yew made that famous speech in 1973 and the stock market collapsed.
What speech? :???:
Yeah - What speech?

I read through the article last night and it was very interesting though I think the Authors dislike of Eurasains seemd to bitter his writing and lessen its potency. That said it was a very realistic run down on the every day plight of amny Singaporeans. Lets hopw that one day they will sort it out otherwsie there will be a growing unhappiness in the population that always ends in tragedy.
Be Like Water