Singapore Expats

Appeal for an E.P: Failed

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
boumbo

Appeal for an E.P: Failed

Post by boumbo » Sat, 06 Jan 2007 6:27 am

Hello (and happy new year)

I have applied for an E.P a couple of weeks ago and my request was turned down by the authorities. Then I appealed my case (as I forgot to enclose a couple of documents in my initial request...)

the appeal was turned down today...

I don't really know what to do:

the self assessment tool that I can find on MoM's website says that with my Degree (Master's from a Business School) and a salary in between 2500 to 3000 it should be ok for a position of director (as I am the one who will be operating the company)

what are my options now?
can I appeal the case again? I can see no problem with increasing the salary to 4000 or 5000 if required... Shall I go for the Entrepass?

Thanks for your time and answers!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 06 Jan 2007 2:52 pm

When you say "as director", do you mean that you're starting your own company and applying for EP as the sole employee? Then you should definitely go for the Entrepass.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

boumbo

Post by boumbo » Mon, 08 Jan 2007 1:26 am

i think i will end up doing that indeed...

AdamC
Regular
Regular

Post by AdamC » Fri, 12 Jan 2007 7:58 am

for forgieners, most opt for entrepass :D

most conven way to get ard singapore

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 13 Jan 2007 4:54 am

what are my options now?
can I appeal the case again? I can see no problem with increasing the salary to 4000 or 5000 if required... Shall I go for the Entrepass?
The only way if it's your company.

Be very careful on the paper work, the slightest error on the business plan and it will fail. I think it says no more than 10 pages of A4, You will probably also have to pay a bond, if you have no sponsor.

I believe you have more than 6 months to get set up, because residential status doesn't kick in until after the 183 day period, that's when you will become liable for paying tax here.

Although I do know someone else, that failed getting entreepass, and applied again, he's still waiting. Best to get legal advice, to get it right I would think, it's more procedural policy, and correctness I believe, for it to go through smoothly.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:39 am

You might want to talk to Strong Eagle (Moderator). He has set up his successful company using the Entrepass Scheme and can direct you to accountants, company secretaries, lawyers and other people who will help you to organize it all. He can also give you pointers regarding the submission of a Proper Business Plan.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FletcherW

Post by FletcherW » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 1:38 pm

Sms do you know if he used a firm to do entrepass business plan etc, or if he had different people doing different things?

Thanks

Fletcher

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jan 2007 2:00 pm

SE is pretty on the ball. I believe he prepared his own business plan although he may well have consulted somebody to find out just what they (Singapore) were looking for as far as content (depth) of the business plan. Try sending him a PM as your PM function is working now (over 5 posts).

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Jan 2007 7:22 pm

First, AdamC is way off base. Most foreigners in Singapore are here on an employment pass or work pass. Only those who are starting a business here are on an Entrepass.

Second, I have posted a new thread entitled 'Starting a Business in Singapore and the Entrepass' that details most of what I know. I hope this helps those seeking to start a business.

Cheers.

torquedj

Post by torquedj » Tue, 16 Jan 2007 4:24 pm

my boss's partner is also having problems getting her entrepass approved.. not sure what's wrong.. i thought being in the manufacturing industry should be quite easy

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 16 Jan 2007 7:18 pm

torquedj wrote:my boss's partner is also having problems getting her entrepass approved.. not sure what's wrong.. i thought being in the manufacturing industry should be quite easy
That may depend on what is being manufactured and whether there is a market for it, best have a look at Strong Eagle's new thread.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/su ... ht=#231315