Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
cowie

Re: Hello.. : ))

Post by cowie » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 4:25 pm

kristen wrote:
cowie wrote:hi easy_going..
thanks.. yeah.. will rem to share experiences.. =)

hi kristen..
i do not know foreign languages too.. give it a try.. i think i'm just fortunate to get in.. if u never try u won't know.. who knows u may get selected.. =)
alryte, but u have worked in customer service related jobs before ryte?
sort of.. coz i am working in a travel agency now..

just go give it a try.. e 1st few rounds they are only listenin to how u carry urself & e way u speak.. how fluent etc.. i THINK..
so just go give it a shot..
for me.. i tell myself when i can pass e 1st round then i worry abt e 2nd round.. so dun give urself too much pressure.. not to worry so much first.. u'll perform better this way.. just be confident and go give ur best shot.. =) *jiayou*

raindrops

test

Post by raindrops » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 5:30 pm

i'm just testing a bit. sorry!

raindrops

Perfect Teeth

Post by raindrops » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 5:33 pm

Perfect! Now i got the hang of posting on this forum.

You guys don't know how this is like a god-sent to me - this forum.

I have one question.

Does anything SIA will consider recruiting somewhat with one ingrown tooth? I have one and i'm afraid it will jeopardise my chances of trying out for the position. Cuz if anyone thinks otherwise, and is able to justify it, then perhaps i shall not even bother go down for the interview this weekend.

:-|

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Re: hello

Post by xmischax » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:52 pm

kristen wrote:
xmischax wrote:
kristen wrote:Congrats to those who gt selected !!! : )) HAPPY flying & take good care!!

i have a question for those who got selected..are u guys able to speak foreign languages or experienced in customer service? i am really afraid because i do not know any foreign languages and have never worked in my life..for the exception of "holiday jobs"..like selling christmas cards n stuff..i be graduating in january..will only get my diploma cert in february..so i guess i'll work in some customer service line..i am very sure that the interviewers will ask questions like whether i have any knowledge in customer service..it be a total waste if i say NO..i am sure once i reply NO, they might nt be interested to continue with the interview...lol..cuz its stated clearly that PREFERENCE will be given to candidates who are able to speak foreign languages or are experienced in customer service..

THANKS alot, xmischax. thank you for the assurance. : ))
hello. ohh no problem, that was nothing :D

i can speak french, and i`ve been working in the customer service line since i graduated from sec sch in dec2005.

don`t worry so much, be confident in yourself and give it a try! they state that they prefer candidates who can speak foreign languages and are experienced in customer service, but they did not say that you have to fulfill that criteria. i`m sure not all stewardesses are able to speak foreign languages too, it`s just an advantage. so don`t worry so much, as long as you meet the minimun requirements, go for it! the more you worry, the less confident you are. and when it comes to interviews, confidence is very important. if you don`t even think that you yourself will make it, how can you convince the recruiters that you are the one they are looking for, right? :wink:
Wow..that is AWESOME!! u can speak french plus u have the knowledge in customer service..u go girl!! lol..im really happy for u..i mean at least u worked hard n got in! so that goes to show i can do it too! lol..i am going to take ur advice and stop worrying too much about the whole thing..its driving me Crazy. Oh true, CONFIDENCE is the secret......! shhhh..thanks, ya'll. : ))
heh i`m not in yet! i haven`t even went for any interview. i will when i am almost graduating from sp. (:

anyways, what cowie said was right. what`s the point of worrying for the 2nd interview when you haven`t even went for the 1st, right? take things one step at a time and just do your best. worrying will only make you more nervous. alright? :D

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Perfect Teeth

Post by xmischax » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:54 pm

raindrops wrote:Perfect! Now i got the hang of posting on this forum.

You guys don't know how this is like a god-sent to me - this forum.

I have one question.

Does anything SIA will consider recruiting somewhat with one ingrown tooth? I have one and i'm afraid it will jeopardise my chances of trying out for the position. Cuz if anyone thinks otherwise, and is able to justify it, then perhaps i shall not even bother go down for the interview this weekend.

:-|
maybe you wanna show us your photo or something? :)

but if it`s just a normal ingrown tooth, maybe braces will help? my teeth are straight but i have braces to make them perfect. but anyway i can`t judge since i don`t know the situation actually. :)
Last edited by xmischax on Mon, 01 Jan 2007 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:56 pm

easy_going wrote:Happy New year, everybody! May all your wishes come true this year!
Done your resolutions already, anybody? :P :D

xmischax, i PMed you... hope you received it...
:)
i`ve done my resolutions for the next three years already! LOL :lol:

yupyup i`ve received it :D

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 1:04 am

Thanks misch for the vote of confidence.. if it fails, at least i've tried and i know where the fault lies in!

i'm actually quite psyched about this weekend's interview as i think it is really very challenging and i looooveee challenges!

even if i don't make it, i think it is an eye-opener because unlike everyone else, my dream isn't really to be an air-stewardess but due to financial constraint, i need the $$ badly - to provide for my sis who's gonna study in the local uni, and at the same try to get closer to my dreams (of being a travel journalist) as the job provides ample platform to let me see the world without squeezing my family's income.

anyhows, would being an ex-police-officer be a plus point in trying to gain a place with SIA?

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter

Post by xmischax » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 1:09 am

raindrops wrote:Thanks misch for the vote of confidence.. if it fails, at least i've tried and i know where the fault lies in!

i'm actually quite psyched about this weekend's interview as i think it is really very challenging and i looooveee challenges!

even if i don't make it, i think it is an eye-opener because unlike everyone else, my dream isn't really to be an air-stewardess but due to financial constraint, i need the $$ badly - to provide for my sis who's gonna study in the local uni, and at the same try to get closer to my dreams (of being a travel journalist) as the job provides ample platform to let me see the world without squeezing my family's income.

anyhows, would being an ex-police-officer be a plus point in trying to gain a place with SIA?
precisely, just do your thing and things will take care of itself. :)

i don`t know about the ex-police-officer part though! i think any kinda working experience will help a bit anyway. :)

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 2:24 am

raindrops - if this is not what u really want, i seriously suggest you to be Focus and go take up a course in journalism or work for a publishing company to gain some experience in that industry. There are many companies offering internship nowaday to start off with. Dont divert from what u really want and where your interest really is. You will regret later on in life as Time is precious and it passes by really fast and you only get to live once.

Besides if you go thru this rigorous selection process and training with SIA then quit after a year or two, it will be really a waste of your time, you could have taken this time to invest and mould yourself into a journalist. Ireckon doing that is better...just suggesting as I didnt get my focus well before and i Only realised now to follow my dream..... but then again its never too late for me.

cheers....
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

kristen
Regular
Regular

Re: hello

Post by kristen » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 8:39 am

xmischax wrote:
kristen wrote:
xmischax wrote: hello. ohh no problem, that was nothing :D

i can speak french, and i`ve been working in the customer service line since i graduated from sec sch in dec2005.

don`t worry so much, be confident in yourself and give it a try! they state that they prefer candidates who can speak foreign languages and are experienced in customer service, but they did not say that you have to fulfill that criteria. i`m sure not all stewardesses are able to speak foreign languages too, it`s just an advantage. so don`t worry so much, as long as you meet the minimun requirements, go for it! the more you worry, the less confident you are. and when it comes to interviews, confidence is very important. if you don`t even think that you yourself will make it, how can you convince the recruiters that you are the one they are looking for, right? :wink:
Wow..that is AWESOME!! u can speak french plus u have the knowledge in customer service..u go girl!! lol..im really happy for u..i mean at least u worked hard n got in! so that goes to show i can do it too! lol..i am going to take ur advice and stop worrying too much about the whole thing..its driving me Crazy. Oh true, CONFIDENCE is the secret......! shhhh..thanks, ya'll. : ))
heh i`m not in yet! i haven`t even went for any interview. i will when i am almost graduating from sp. (:

anyways, what cowie said was right. what`s the point of worrying for the 2nd interview when you haven`t even went for the 1st, right? take things one step at a time and just do your best. worrying will only make you more nervous. alright? :D
thanks a million! well, i guess i should put a stop to my uneccessary wories !..i really really hope that there be a recruitment drive in february!..goshh..it be awesome! at least, i be all set n ready..lol...thank alot peeps!! :))

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 9:57 am

corines143 wrote:raindrops - if this is not what u really want, i seriously suggest you to be Focus and go take up a course in journalism or work for a publishing company to gain some experience in that industry. There are many companies offering internship nowaday to start off with. Dont divert from what u really want and where your interest really is. You will regret later on in life as Time is precious and it passes by really fast and you only get to live once.

Besides if you go thru this rigorous selection process and training with SIA then quit after a year or two, it will be really a waste of your time, you could have taken this time to invest and mould yourself into a journalist. Ireckon doing that is better...just suggesting as I didnt get my focus well before and i Only realised now to follow my dream..... but then again its never too late for me.

cheers....
Actually i am following a dream but we all have to know the cost of living in Singapore. Before i made a decision to go back to school, Life was pretty much 'affordable' and simple then. But who would have thought, when one semester is about to come to an end, things took a turn for the worst. My parents are both old and i don't think employment will be easy for them again. My sister's getting into uni and who would have to help provide for her? (I'm the eldest, btw.)

I guess sometimes in Life, Dreams do make you feel like you're floating on really good air but we all forget that we aren't birds and the only way we can remain afloat, is to build a good aeroplane and that takes money. I'm not trying to be cynical or something.. just practical. There is no two ways about it.. if you hold the position of the eldest, you just have got to be Responsible. So i'm putting my dreams aside (albeit again) but at the same time i'm not entirely casting it away because i think flying will help me in a way to gain the experience that i need to give my writing a far more cultured and mature voice.

Furthermore, i'm working part-time with the zoo and i truly enjoy working with people - tourists and locals. I think all the discrimination allegations against locals flying on SIA are very sweeping statements. After all, SIA can only train us in grooming and service but it is the character that we have that moulds us. What's more, one bad egg doesn't necessarily spoil the entire crate, would it? :)

So really... i'm not exactly foregoing a dream.. but there are ways to make a dream come true as long as you have faith in yourself, wherever you go.

cheers...

:) :wink:

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 1:01 pm

good for you if u know what u r doing
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

shirleytemple

Post by shirleytemple » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 2:13 pm

Hello... I'm new here. Excited yet nervous about the interviews this weekend. Not sure what to expect except that candidates are expected to be articulate and pleasant looking. From what I've read, it is recommended that the ladies dress in light colours. Drats... I was actually thinking of wearing black. Is there a particular reason why light colours are preferred? My hair is long and I do not intend to have it up for the interview. I have decided to go for a manicure on Fri. I guess in this interview, the first round is about presentation and presentation only. I hope I'm right! If I'm not, someone, please correct me. :)

missmyhivy

Post by missmyhivy » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 5:02 pm

shirleytemple wrote:Hello... I'm new here. Excited yet nervous about the interviews this weekend. Not sure what to expect except that candidates are expected to be articulate and pleasant looking. From what I've read, it is recommended that the ladies dress in light colours. Drats... I was actually thinking of wearing black. Is there a particular reason why light colours are preferred? My hair is long and I do not intend to have it up for the interview. I have decided to go for a manicure on Fri. I guess in this interview, the first round is about presentation and presentation only. I hope I'm right! If I'm not, someone, please correct me. :)
In my own opinion,there's nothing wrong to wear dark suits.I wore white shirt,black pants and black blazer for the interview.I didn't even tie my hair.But I guess I was lucky to pass...As suggested by some girls here...Perhaps it's wise if you tie up your hair,you will look more professional then.It's basically about how you bring yourself gracefully and confidently.After all these waiting,I just realise that they pay each and every details of you from the time you enter the waiting room.It's a good idea to get yourself 'known' but don't make it too much (they might think ur attention seeker). Instead,smile all the time. As u might have known,its only about presenting urself in front of 2-3 interviewer.Make sure you impress them,how? From your appearance...ur manicure idea is great, put light make-ups, make urself as professional as u can.Then,when u speak,make sure u speak confidently..No giggling! Thus,u must prepare very well what you want to say. I hope u succeed!!!!

missmyhivy

Post by missmyhivy » Tue, 02 Jan 2007 6:17 pm

cowie & koko77,
great! congrats for u girls as well! We're batchmates! See u at 25th then... :D have imagined the scenario on 25th as what koko said , "oh hi! are u cowie? i'm missmyhivy... :lol: :lol:

kristen,xmischax,corines,taurus19,easygoing...
thanks a lot! u girls going for interview this weekend? if so,just want to *jia yu*!!!!! wish to all good luck and perhaps meeting u all on-board? :wink: