Singapore Expats

NEED TECHNICAL HELP FROM IT SAVVY

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
youdunsay
Regular
Regular

NEED TECHNICAL HELP FROM IT SAVVY

Post by youdunsay » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 1:10 am

Ok I'll try to cut short as possible.

Brother just signed up for the Singnet Broadband unlimited access. We have fixed the modem with a Linksys router and adapter so that we can connect wirelessly.

Problem lies with whenever we go to our web browser, we can't visit MANY websites. Many times we can't even run search engines like yahoo, google. And, we can't even visit the singnet website.

Attempt: We followed accordingly to what the technican had advised by changing the connection setting of our web browser (Mozilla) to "direct connection to the internet" yet the problem still persist. Mozilla says the server can't be found. Tried with our IE too and to no avail.

Any IT savvy can help me out on this? Really Pissed Off without connection and living like a caveman for 3 days.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: NEED TECHNICAL HELP FROM IT SAVVY~~

Post by ksl » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 2:37 am

youdunsay wrote:Ok I'll try to cut short as possible.

Brother just signed up for the Singnet Broadband unlimited access. We have fixed the modem with a Linksys router and adapter so that we can connect wirelessly.

Problem lies with whenever we go to our web browser, we can't visit MANY websites. Many times we can't even run search engines like yahoo, google. And, we can't even visit the singnet website.

Attempt: We followed accordingly to what the technican had advised by changing the connection setting of our web browser (Mozilla) to "direct connection to the internet" yet the problem still persist. Mozilla says the server can't be found. Tried with our IE too and to no avail.

Any IT savvy can help me out on this? Really Pissed Off without connection and living like a caveman for 3 days.
Do you have IE also on the computer? It seems also like you are having weak signal, if you can connect wireless sometimes but not all times! Try to check your wireless config!

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 9:05 am

Wow finally I can enter this forum. Yea tried IE though, and just like Mozilla at times I managed to enter certain sites but most of the time it can't load..argh..and I always move my mouse over the connection icon to check the signal strength and it's always "excellent".. :x

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 1:27 pm

Unless you have multiple computers on the network continuously sharing files then set your wireless to a slower speed....... let's face it you don't need a 54Mb transmission for a 5Mb line, for example.

As you're checking this, see if anybody else has already piggie backed onto your wireless.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 2:41 pm

youdunsay wrote:Wow finally I can enter this forum. Yea tried IE though, and just like Mozilla at times I managed to enter certain sites but most of the time it can't load..argh..and I always move my mouse over the connection icon to check the signal strength and it's always "excellent".. :x
You must also take note of where in the home, you are trying to access the wireless, if you are moving around in the house, your signal strengths will fluctuate, you may need other wireless access points setting up.

Tip! while unable to connect run the messenger live connection test, from tools, options, it should pinpoint the faults, while trying to connect.

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 8:26 pm

Hahahax ok.. thx~

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:19 pm

youdunsay wrote:Hahahax ok.. thx~
You not solved the problem yet?

Try this link it may help you out

http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial ... .asp&guid=

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Tue, 26 Dec 2006 7:15 pm

Horror~ We found someone tapping on our wireless connection. What should I do?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 26 Dec 2006 8:00 pm

youdunsay wrote:Horror~ We found someone tapping on our wireless connection. What should I do?
Crack open your virginal Linksys manual and read the part about security configuration.

To me it sounds like your DNS is dodgy. The next time you're having problems connecting to a site (eg. google.com), hit Windows-R and enter "ping google.com", then try "ping 62.233.187.99". If the first one doesn't work but the second does, it's a DNS problem; if both don't work, then your connection is bad.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:03 am

jpatokal wrote:
youdunsay wrote:Horror~ We found someone tapping on our wireless connection. What should I do?
Crack open your virginal Linksys manual and read the part about security configuration.
Look up the sections for WEP and MAC Filter.

If you use one or other then it is a very good step to filter out all but the most serious hacker. If you can use both then a serious hacker would still get in but maybe couldn't be bothered.

rob w

Post by rob w » Thu, 28 Dec 2006 4:29 pm

I have a similar problem but with out the router.
I can access many sites very quickly but others time out most of the time and only occasionally manage to pull up the site.
I changed from IE to Firefox but its still the same, any ideas chaps.
tried removing cookies etc.

Rob
Rob

youdunsay
Regular
Regular

Post by youdunsay » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 3:31 pm

To me it sounds like your DNS is dodgy. The next time you're having problems connecting to a site (eg. google.com), hit Windows-R and enter "ping google.com", then try "ping 62.233.187.99". If the first one doesn't work but the second does, it's a DNS problem; if both don't work, then your connection is bad.
I checked my Windows. It says I have got 4 packets, 3 pkts received and 1 pkt lost (25%). What does that mean? I don't know how to change the ping thingy.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 3:52 pm

youdunsay wrote: I checked my Windows. It says I have got 4 packets, 3 pkts received and 1 pkt lost (25%). What does that mean? I don't know how to change the ping thingy.
The problem is that if you are trying to ping google.com these days then there is a good chance you will loose packets given the current state of the internet connection between here and the States.

I don't get any access to my gmail, since the earthquake and have had to set up a vpn to Hong Kong so that i can use their connections to Europe instead of ours that go to the US directly. If you ping starhub.com.sg for example then in theory this should let you know the local quality afterwhich i wouldn't worry about the overseas stuff for a couple of weeks until the international circuit is fully restored.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 7:05 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
youdunsay wrote: I checked my Windows. It says I have got 4 packets, 3 pkts received and 1 pkt lost (25%). What does that mean? I don't know how to change the ping thingy.
The problem is that if you are trying to ping google.com these days then there is a good chance you will loose packets given the current state of the internet connection between here and the States.

I don't get any access to my gmail, since the earthquake and have had to set up a vpn to Hong Kong so that i can use their connections to Europe instead of ours that go to the US directly. If you ping starhub.com.sg for example then in theory this should let you know the local quality afterwhich i wouldn't worry about the overseas stuff for a couple of weeks until the international circuit is fully restored.
I pinged google at 465ms far to long, the infrastructure is crap from Singapore and I've just been suckered into a 10mb connection, I certainly wish i could prove, who's at fault here!

I really haven't seen a worse internet connection than Singapore for page loading, Although the fault may also be in the processing of the computer data?

I can see my original configuration showing processor speed of 1500Mghz althouh the present configuration is showing only 650Mghz, how can this change :???: Checked the bios and it's showing 1500. And for some reason I cannot defrag all files. Looks like I may have to reformat to see any difference, what a pain in the butt :( Pinged my website in the USA at 1098 ms, with 1 packet loss 25%, timed out. google is still 465ms although starhub and singtel are 10/11 ms, which is super!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 7:45 pm

As ScoobyDoes said, connections from Singapore to the outside world have been and continue to be shot to hell ever since the Taiwan quake snapped the main links. It's getting better though, since today is the first day since Wed that the ITR is showing a value better than "0" for Singtel:

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/asia.htm

Overall index for Asia right now is 51, things will be back to normal when it says 80 or so.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague