Singapore Expats

what's rep on Novena area?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
serenitynow

what's rep on Novena area?

Post by serenitynow » Mon, 18 Dec 2006 5:13 pm

will be settling in singapore soon. have heard from a few friends and acquaintances that novena is a nice neighborhood to live in. i've previously explored east coast and areas down southwest. east coast seems to be more residential - not too much excitement other than your apartment complex's facilities and the east coach beach, of course. also, malls are not walkable. southwest ... is hilly? i just remember a lot ups / downs and turns. why do you think novena is recommended?

Weiss

Post by Weiss » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 1:04 pm

For one novena is very central -- near to the town so shopping is a breeze.

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Post by Grim Reaper » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 2:40 pm

It is central as said and it has a mall and facilities. Otherwise than that, just another place, nothing special about it.

Imho east coast beats it easily. Even driving to CBD from east coast would be faster than from Novena to CBD.

And prices are way more up in Novena.
Time will come....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 4:05 pm

I lived in the Novena area for around 3-4 years. Jln. Merlimau to be exact (semi-D). Was within walking distance to Novena church, MRT, Goldhill plaza & Square and TTS Hospital & Thompson Medical Centre. Also, now the Novena Mall above the MRT and IRAS (Booooooo!) It's also only a 20 walk to Orchard Road if you are of a mind to. Only 2 MRT stops to Orchard. Just as quick to Toa Payoh as well. No beach however! Would much rather have lived on East Coast but company was paying for it. both have their pluses and minuses.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 19 Dec 2006 9:48 pm

Novena is nice. Not much in the way of nightlife (unless you nip around to Balestier St for bak kut teh and chickens), but it's very central, there are great eating options and it's easy to get anywhere. And now esp. with Novena Sq tripling its size you can get most of your shopping done there too.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:00 pm

A lot of the places in Novena are new and quite small compared to the older units. You will have a wider choice if you also look the other side of Thomson Road into the Newton area.

I had 4 great years in Surrey Road and then moved to Dunearn Gardens off Newton Circus when they built on the field outside my window. Fantastic for access to Orchard, nightlife, food and no need to drive into the CBD when its only a few stops away on the MRT. Anyway, I never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a taxi even at peak times.

Loved the area, only moved out when I bought a place and my priorities changed with kids in tow.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion