Singapore Expats

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Aviator

Post by Aviator » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:27 am

ksl wrote:
ria3n wrote:at times we saw foreigners fun of locals also
There are enough bigots in the world, so no more please, make love not war!
It was never our intention to make war. I have many foreign collegues, and they are mostly great people, whom i'm proud to call them friends. However, some of the comments posted in this topic maybe one-sided. Hence we are just highlighting the fact that these things happen everywhere when you belong to the minority group. And I'm definately against such behaviour.

little_pioneer

Post by little_pioneer » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 8:36 pm

This site has been really informative. Sad to see this thread, but it is reality. I've worked in the UK, Hong Kong, New Zealand (and possibly Singapore!) Terrific places in their own right. There are many excellent people that I've met and still keep in touch with in each country. To set the scene, I'm a very positive professional British Chinese guy, happily married blah blah blah.

These are some (not all) of my experiences in these places:

UK: Told to go back to my own country (rudely of course) throughout my time growing up there. Been attacked by 14 teenagers (racially motivated). Had things thrown at me.

HK: Told to go back to my own country (rudely of course). Called a "banana boy" in a way to humiliate by the "locals". Overlooked for promotion. Higher workload than "white expats" or "local HK Chinese."

NZ: Told to go back to my own country (rudely of course). Spat at (both my wife and I). Had cars trying to drive me off the road when they see who I am. Almost knocked over by car while in the middle of a zebra crossing, when the lady driver saw me.

All the perpetrators were a variety of ages, sex, race etc.

All life experiences that I'd rather not have had. However, each and every incident has made me more secure and happier in myself, my family and my friends. There are still a lot of cool and decent people in the world.

monray

Post by monray » Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:48 am

little_pioneer wrote:This site has been really informative. Sad to see this thread, but it is reality. I've worked in the UK, Hong Kong, New Zealand (and possibly Singapore!) Terrific places in their own right. There are many excellent people that I've met and still keep in touch with in each country. To set the scene, I'm a very positive professional British Chinese guy, happily married blah blah blah.

These are some (not all) of my experiences in these places:

UK: Told to go back to my own country (rudely of course) throughout my time growing up there. Been attacked by 14 teenagers (racially motivated). Had things thrown at me.

HK: Told to go back to my own country (rudely of course). Called a "banana boy" in a way to humiliate by the "locals". Overlooked for promotion. Higher workload than "white expats" or "local HK Chinese."

NZ: Told to go back to my own country (rudely of course). Spat at (both my wife and I). Had cars trying to drive me off the road when they see who I am. Almost knocked over by car while in the middle of a zebra crossing, when the lady driver saw me.

All the perpetrators were a variety of ages, sex, race etc.

All life experiences that I'd rather not have had. However, each and every incident has made me more secure and happier in myself, my family and my friends. There are still a lot of cool and decent people in the world.
What a world of inferior bastards are we living in?????? :x

morkin

hmm

Post by morkin » Mon, 04 Dec 2006 6:23 am

Not to jump in and say you're wrong!!! But I found the following interesting:

"These are some (not all) of my experiences in these places:

NZ: Told to go back to my own country (rudely of course). Spat at (both my wife and I). Had cars trying to drive me off the road when they see who I am. Almost knocked over by car while in the middle of a zebra crossing, when the lady driver saw me. "

---

- To me, this is life and doesn't really have anything to do with race. At least from reading it I don't see where the racial part comes in.

Example. I was jogging around the local park, about 10pm on a Friday. A group of teenages started throwing their cans of beer at me. No reason given.

Another time I was shouted at for walking funny??? Heh... (I'd just come back from kungfu comp and was hurting :(

And this week as I was crossing a road (ok the lights were green...) and the car coming towards me increased it's speed causing me to move a bit sharpish.

To me that's life, it happens. I don't see any reason to find a reason for it, or wonder why, it's just people, the way they are. I think in the cases where I was /attacked/ and shouted at - they might have picked up on you being Chinese - my point is, these people will do it regardless.

And doing more work than the white ex-pats. That's just work and happens everywhere. I think over half the people at my company work less than me and are on alot more money than me. It sucks.

I'm white, 25 and all this happened when I was in the UK by the way. I also think I lost my point somewhere in all of that :P

Keep smiling

r007r

Post by r007r » Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:22 am

I have been reading through these posts and I find a lot of this hard to grasp. It is very stereotypical to say that ALL Caucasians treat Asian woman a certain way or ALL of this race is prejudice or racist against the other. I have lived in Canada for 26 years and I have seen my share of racism, prejudice, stereotypes and discrimination. I know that I have no patience for it and if one of my friends said anything of that nature then I would smack them in the back of the head and embarrass them on the spot. Personally I love the different cultures of the world and I find them all to be very interesting and I have an appreciation for all of them. I am personally jealous of Asia due to the amount of culture that they have. I love it and I expose myself to it all. Except for eating bugs.

I think that it only a small portion of people everywhere in all countries that cause this problem and I find it ridiculous. Some of my very close friends are Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Hindu, Indian, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish, Australian, Bangladeshi, and African American. I do not treat any people differently then what I like to be treated myself. No wonder there is all this war and fighting all across the world. It takes a great person to ignore this stuff and it takes a better person to prevent it. I am sure that we all could make a difference and make this a more united world. There has been too much damage done already. Too bad we could not create a new multi-cultural civilization and do not introduce all of this negativity to the younger generation.

I have been in a few “attempted”

little_pioneer

Post by little_pioneer » Tue, 05 Dec 2006 7:44 am

Hi morkin

On each occasion when I was "Told to go back to my own country." It was more like "F off to where you come from." "Go back to China/Japan you f ing chink." "Get out of our country you chinky c##t"etc etc. So it might be slightly linked to race or at least the way I look. Sometimes it might be entrenched racism or sometimes it may just be a convenient starting point to act like a knob.

Similar things were said with the racially motivated attack. As they tried to "Kick this chinks head in and show him that he doesn't belong in our country." They all grassed up each other and all 14 of them admitted it was racially motivated. I was alone and some people are really hard in gangs of 14. Problem for them was, I was just as hard on my own.

Same with being spat at in NZ. The guy saw my wife and I walk past and deliberately ran out of the pub/bar, told me and my wife where to go in a similar fashion as stated above before aiming his spittle as us. He was a poor shot!

Same with the lady who wound down her car window shouting where she wanted me to go while her wing mirror almost hit me as she accelerated away. She was slowing down until she made eye contact with me while I was midway on the zebra crossing. Must've wanted my attention I suppose.

Then some of the drivers/passengers either doing the same as the lady mentioned above or pushing the corners of their eyes up and down to mimmick someone of oriental features. There was some obligatory "making funny noises to mimmick some oriental language" as well. Before trying to run me off the road of course.

"Banana boy" (yellow on the outside and white on the inside) was used during rude put downs in HK to discriminate "westernised" Chinese. I had more probs with HK Chinese than with most white expats who treated me like any other guy. The terms and conditions of work pre-1997 was rather geared up for expats. Home leave, gratuities etc the "extras" that locals never had access to. Things have changed I think post-1997. Not sure in other fields of work though. Seems from reading some of these threads, win some lose some really on work packages. (Trying to look at it while sitting on the fence just hurts your arse!!!) It does suck when people do less and earn more when doing a similar job role. Know the feeling all too well.

So yes this is life, doesn't mean we have to accept or condone it. And like I (and many of these posters) have said, it comes from people of all walks of life. Other things do happen in life, but I did only list some of the racially motivated ones. Even though bits are unclear in my original entry. Hope this clarifies the "racial parts" morkin. But I do agree some people will do these types of acts regardless, just like what happened to you in the park. Losers with nothing better to do.

Sad things happen, but like you, I keep smiling too. :D Just glad most of my life is cool.

What Kung Fu/martial arts do you do (morkin and r007r)? I'm into Wing Chun, Pak Mei and Full contact karate. Been doing it (on/off) for about 24 years now. Keeps my "one-pac" in shape, but I think mother nature is winning!!!

Big up r007r. I'm with you. A smile and an open mind/heart/spirit is universal! But I too won't sit back and do nothing, when something is obviously wrong and imminent (not just racism). Then when the desired effect is reached and equilibrium/parity is restored, discipline takes over and decorum rules.

Live in peace and reap the wealth of positive human prosperity around us.

ALTIORA PETAMUS

little_pioneer

Post by little_pioneer » Tue, 05 Dec 2006 7:54 am

Apologies for diverting the original post subject. Still weighing up if we'll give Singapore a good go. Been twice already and have relatives/friends there. Generally has made a good impression.

Cheers

ALTIORA PETAMUS

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Dec 2006 9:05 am

little_pioneer wrote:Apologies for diverting the original post subject. Still weighing up if we'll give Singapore a good go. Been twice already and have relatives/friends there. Generally has made a good impression.

Cheers

ALTIORA PETAMUS
Just my two bits.........

You will be doing both your and your family an injustice if you don't give it a go. :wink:

Remember these boards are a good place for rants in general and sadly people tend to use more venom in their written words than they actually feel. On the other hand, that's what makes reading books so enjoyable. Trouble is most don't use nuances very well on forum posts.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: hmm

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:19 pm

little_pioneer wrote: So yes this is life, doesn't mean we have to accept or condone it. And like I (and many of these posters) have said, it comes from people of all walks of life. Other things do happen in life, but I did only list some of the racially motivated ones. Even though bits are unclear in my original entry. Hope this clarifies the "racial parts" morkin. But I do agree some people will do these types of acts regardless, just like what happened to you in the park. Losers with nothing better to do.

Sad things happen, but like you, I keep smiling too. :D Just glad most of my life is cool.
morkin wrote:
To me that's life, it happens. I don't see any reason to find a reason for it, or wonder why, it's just people, the way they are. I think in the cases where I was /attacked/ and shouted at - they might have picked up on you being Chinese - my point is, these people will do it regardless.

And doing more work than the white ex-pats. That's just work and happens everywhere. I think over half the people at my company work less than me and are on alot more money than me. It sucks.

I'm white, 25 and all this happened when I was in the UK by the way. I also think I lost my point somewhere in all of that :P

Keep smiling
What cool attitude you guys have! Not that much different from mine. If anyone target me for any reason e.g. being chinese, short, poor dress sense etc.. So be it. I can't change them. There will always be bigotry, rascism, unfairness, jealousy, hatred and all the negativities that comes with human nature. It is part of life. If one can't handle that, then one can't handle life itself.

Respect is a very important element in all relationships. I know there will be people who dislike me for all kinds off reason. It sucks but I also try to respect their wishes. If not how? Create wars with them? I prefer peace and harmony, for the most part.

morkin

Post by morkin » Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:04 pm

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear all that but then, good to see you come out on the other side a better person :)

Kung-fu!

http://www.namyang.co.uk/ That's the UK website that has you deal of info.

OR...

http://www.namyang1954.com/ info and times for classes in Singapore.

janmountaingoat3

Post by janmountaingoat3 » Fri, 08 Dec 2006 3:01 pm

STEP INSIDE THE CIRCLE OF ALL BEINGS

Charlotte Sophia Kasl.

When you sit in a room with other people, you are literally breathing
he same air in and out that has been in their bodies. We are all
energy in motion mingling with each other and with the natural
world--taking in the air and water, eating, eliminating. We are
all variations on a theme--unique and the same. Not one of us
looks exactly alike and never will, yet we all have the same basic
features and internal organs. We all deal with the impermanence
of life and the specter of death, the hope for wholeness and the
desire for love. Whatever we have felt, whatever we have done,
someone has felt or done something very similar.

As we join the circle of all beings, our fear diminishes and we
return to the Childhood State of wonder and curiosity in which
there is no prejudice, no fear of different religions, ethnic groups,
races or classes. Our responses become less intellectual and
more instinctual, coming from our amazing capacity to "feel"
the energy fields of others.
Just be happy and you will get what you wish for, The Universe is abundance!

janmountaingoat3

Post by janmountaingoat3 » Fri, 08 Dec 2006 3:14 pm

Making a Connection
By.........SO

Couple of days ago, a little girl cheery greeted me with a
smile, we were then engaged in small talks. She has brought
me back a gift, something we all owned but were lost as
we grown up. "Our childhood capacity for curiosity and
exploration!" She had fearlessly devour our world and reach
out to people with eagerness. She has made a connection
between two strangers bringing smiles to both our faces.
"Life works in mysterious ways. To bring miracle and smiles
to our lives, all we have to do is to make a CONNECTION
with the people we meet each day. Reaching out with those
around us that our hearts are filled!"

P.S. When we regained our childhood capacity for curiosity and explorations, making friends from all walks of life will be easy, simple and fun. Adding our years of wisdom and compassion it is easier to make better and longer lasting friendships. We are not everybody, we are being ourselves, hence one don't expect others to extend their friendship first or smiles first. Extend your concern for your peers at work, smiles at strangers when they walked passed you. Send a card to a friend on his/her birthday. All these will come back to you, when you do that. We are what we attract, hence start sending out that positive energy now, and you will see you will have enjoy lots of fulfilling friendships and relationships.

Peace, SO

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Dec 2006 4:07 pm

janmountaingoat3,

Earth calling Janmountaingoat3.......can I get some of whatever it is that you are smoking? You sound like you are coming from a time warp from around 1967-69. Some of that experimental hemp they were growing at the University of Mississippi back then, Woah!. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

janmountaingoat3

Post by janmountaingoat3 » Fri, 08 Dec 2006 5:21 pm

hahaha that is a good one lol. "Ain't smoking anything :lol: causes pollution to the mother earth you know and pollution to our lungs" :P

"The world is your mirror and your mind is a magnet.
What you perceive in this world is largely a reflection of your own attitudes and beliefs.
Life will give you what you attract with your thoughts, think, act and talk negatively and your world will be negative.
Think and act and talk with enthusiasm and you will attract positive results."
~ Michael LeBeuf

P.S. Just doing my part as a traveller in the human race, learning and if possible sending out positive vibes :D

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 08 Dec 2006 8:45 pm

janmountaingoat3 wrote:P.S. Just doing my part as a traveller in the human race, learning and if possible sending out positive vibes :D
Sending positive vibes? That sounds terribly unproductive and almost certainly requires a license from the Infocomm Development Authority, the Undesirable Propagation Unit and the Internal Security Department. Why not work and consume instead like you're supposed to?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague