Singapore Expats

Singaporeans and Caucasians

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 6:40 am

Left Wing wrote:i have jr collegue who is openly rascist towards malays and indians how can i correct her..with out crossing any boundries......

BTW I am an xpat Indian not local Indian .....

It is very simple, you make a secret recording, and then take her to one side, and warn her, if she continues, with her racist remarks, you will report her to the boss, first, if he does nothing to stop it, report it to the police, do it politely, and say you are sick and tired of listening to it.

These are just bullies, and bullies rule by fear, you have to show her more fear, she will be afraid of the unexpected, tell her you are all human and expect to be treated like one. But don't lose your temper.

You need the recording for your own protection, in case she has some friends to run too, but don't be afraid, that's what she counts on. If you don't want police involved, you may wish to contact manpower.. But do it.

It is never wise to say anything to her in front of other people, as was suggested in a previous post,

she will hate you and resent you, and could possible burst into a racist rage, to prove she is not afraid of you or the others, and she will scheme to get her own back on you. If however you take her to one side quitely, she doesn't have to live up to her image in front of the others, and will take it more calmly and get the message that you too are serious.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Singaporeans and Caucasians

Post by ksl » Mon, 20 Nov 2006 7:04 am

hellas wrote:
hellas wrote:
marc wrote:welcome to everybody,

lots of friends reinforced my impression that an increasing number of Singaporean
try to make you feel uncomfortable in the
public by laughing once they see a
caucasian. They try hard to irritate you whenever possible...
Is that a false perception or did you make similar experiences?

Hello to the expat community in Singapore :) . the media in western countries praise Singapore as a role model of a multicultural society and so far I just heard plenty of good things about singapore. Actually I am eying with a job over there should an opportunity arise but the staff I read in this forum makes me doubt whether its the right place for a peace loving person like me. I am not keen to travel around the world just to be mocked at by local people over there.Opinions vary greatly in this forum. What to make of all this???
:???:
[/quote

Hi.Please take no offence but based on the disappointing response, it seems that singapore expats are not really keen to encourage or welcome new expats over there.
I certainly don't believe that at all, although there maybe many expats, that hate to be here, and come just for the money, there are many that love Singapore. At least here, they do arrest anyone committing racist remarks.

and yes I do agree, that the 75% majority are not going to lose their power, they will protect Singapore from what as happend to the UK, and who can blame them.

They have spent 40 years building a Country, why should they let other foreigners, move in and destroy what they have built. If anything, the people should be fighting for living wages, and getting on with their lives, there is far to much of this letting foreigners in to cause unrest.

I believe Singapore do an excellent job of trying to keep the lid on a simmering pot, there will always be injustice, no matter what country you live in. and I'm one of the biggest whiners of UK, and I feel I have something to whine about.

Christ they didn't even get a bloody chance to build UK, before all the foreigners arrived to bleed it dry. So for those suffering in Singapore because of racism, do something about it, there is a law here and they take it very serious

I'm as white as white, and yes i have felt the laughing, and it can be quite annoying, however I have only felt it from teenagers, happend once or twice whereby I said nothing, then after the third time with the same people, i decided to walk up, to them, and said," You must know some very funny jokes" and they replied wha "So i said I'd like to hear the funny joke, I said it's the third time i hear you laughing, so tell me the joke please. Basically kids will laugh at foreigners, if they have never mixed with them or know how they behave.

The other time was walking on the street, when two walking right behind me couldn't help laughing, however I turned round and said what's so funny, and they said we wanted to talk to you, because you are foreign, and we didn't know how to appraoch you, then I said can you say it more slowly, because i don't understand Singlish.

The 16 year ol kids were ok, harmless and all they wanted was to try and speak English, because they never get the opportunity, we chatted for a good km or so.
It's all about wanting to communicate and self confidence to approach foreigners, although many western expats don't wish to, they are here for the money only and a good time. But stuff em, it takes all kinds to make a community.

marjiri75

FOREIGNERS / EXPATS / NEWBIES / TRAVELLERS

Post by marjiri75 » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 1:04 am

Having read through this thread I can no longer hold my peace. I have picked snippets of information from different responses to original post

****Countires have unique cultures good/bad, as a foreigner / Newbie / Expat, you owe youself the duty of making an effort to understand the culture, pick up the good ones, show off your good ones which people would see and want to emulate and turn ur back on the bad ones. When little children makes faces at you, do u get offended or get back at them? surely not!!!!!!!! Ignorance makes people do things they would otherwise not do, if they knew any better.

*****It would help, for foreigners / expats to ask themselves how they or others treat foreigners back in their home country.

******I have been on both sides of the equation and it has helped me to develop some wonderfull relationships everywhere I go even when it started on a nasty note.

******Racism is really just a word for Ignorance.

******KSL: May I point out that many other countries not to mention names, were not even given a chance to lay a foundation talk less of building up, instead some territories took resources back with them to build their economies and is still sucking dry these countries using political vehicles/powers, but thank GOD that the soils in these countries are well endowed with resources to keep them going. So well, they are reaping what they sowed and these so-called foreigners are reaping what their fore-fathers sowed. It balances out *******

It is sad to see how we treat each others, but there are a growing number of people who are learning to enjoy and celeberate differences, it starts from the home. Kids should be taught to respect PEOPLE not some particular races or theirs only, we all got many differences to laugh about
. :)

BE GOOD CITIZENS OF THE PLANET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

hellas

Post by hellas » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 8:11 am

Hi KSL, first of all thanx for your comprehensive reply. The problem is I am not sure whether I have this level of confidence to ignore people who love at me, not to mention to confront them. Its admirable the way you approach these people.
This might not be a valid question but -in your opinion- are white people confronted with this 'laughing' on a regular basis or is it rather negligible and happening once in blue moon?

hellas

Post by hellas » Tue, 21 Nov 2006 8:12 am

hellas wrote:Hi KSL, first of all thanx for your comprehensive reply. The problem is I am not sure whether I have this level of confidence to ignore people who love at me, not to mention to confront them. Its admirable the way you approach these people.
This might not be a valid question but -in your opinion- are white people confronted with this 'laughing' on a regular basis or is it rather negligible and happening once in blue moon?

Well, love would be ok....laugh of course

kitty.pau

Post by kitty.pau » Sun, 26 Nov 2006 8:04 pm

Hi.Please take no offence but based on the disappointing response, it seems that singapore expats are not really keen to encourage or welcome new expats over there.[/quote]

Hellas I think u gotta a wrong impression. Despite my bad experience with my boyfriend which u might have read, I urge u to come over for holiday. Only then will u be able to get feeling whether its worthwile living here and whether ur ok with locals.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:07 pm

hellas wrote:Hi KSL, first of all thanx for your comprehensive reply. The problem is I am not sure whether I have this level of confidence to ignore people who love at me, not to mention to confront them. Its admirable the way you approach these people.
It certainly doesn't happen all the time, although I have read, that other western white people feel, that they are being laughed at. In truth I think not, what westerners are really feeling is slight paranoia in my opinion, because they are not used, to being the minority race. The adjustment takes time, and one can feel overwhelmed, if one doesn't see any other westerners each day of the same colour

I can also recall quite a funny occurrence, when a teenage couple asked me if i was Steve Martin, Now I thought maybe they are taking the micky, however I said yes, I was Steve Martin, would you like my autograph., so I just played along with them. Maybe they did actually believe I was him!

I would rather they said are you Richard Gere!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:32 pm

you have to ask yourself, do you really care what a few morons are laughing at?

anyone laughing at someone for being foreign or white condemn themselves as uncool, unhip, unfriendly, undeducated, unsophisticated morons from an age that has already passed

but you could confront them and let them know in no uncertain terms the consequences if they think that behaviour will go "unaddressed"

in the end it's probably them who most people would laugh at

Blacklipy

Post by Blacklipy » Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:53 am

EADG wrote:you have to ask yourself, do you really care what a few morons are laughing at?

anyone laughing at someone for being foreign or white condemn themselves as uncool, unhip, unfriendly, undeducated, unsophisticated morons from an age that has already passed

but you could confront them and let them know in no uncertain terms the consequences if they think that behaviour will go "unaddressed"

in the end it's probably them who most people would laugh at

Personally each time i'm in a foreign country, i tend to be amazed by the difference in culture. And i will admit laughing at the differences. BUT honestly speaking, I didn't mean to show any disrespect.
I respect the fact that people have differences (looks, color, fashion), so there is a tendancy to hang out only with ppl whom share the same practices and views as me while i tend to not hang too close with others irregardless of where they come from.

As for ppl who are really racist.... just ignore them, cheers~

Aviator

Post by Aviator » Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:58 pm

Left Wing wrote:I was recently informed if you are muslim malay born in singapore hence a singaporean you cannot be promoted to a certain higher rank in the armed forces...hence there are no muslim malay singaporean as pilots in the sing air force....

:mad: :mad: :x
this comment!!! was said by the ex prime minister of malaysia... and its NOT true
Last edited by Aviator on Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aviator

Post by Aviator » Tue, 28 Nov 2006 1:15 pm

To all those that feel that racistism is bad here... Have you been shouted by Singaporeans in your face """ Go back to your f@#king country!!! """ I had this experience in New Zealand and Perth by white people :shock: :shock: :shock:

BTW, I welcome anyone into Singapore, as long they can contribute to the growth and prosperity of Singapore. :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Nov 2006 6:28 pm

Aviator wrote:To all those that feel that racistism is bad here... Have you been shouted by Singaporeans in your face """ Go back to your f@#king country!!! """
Yes I have on occasion. But I just consider the source and then realize why we were sent here in the first place. It's easier to understand then. LYK can just knock down buildings. Can't do that with the population though can you.........
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

monray

Post by monray » Thu, 30 Nov 2006 2:23 am

---I left Good Old Singapore in 1995 after 7 wonderful ‘expat years’. Sorry to hear that things have gone so bad. Keep the faith ‘compatriots’---

ria3n
Regular
Regular

Post by ria3n » Fri, 01 Dec 2006 2:25 pm

at times we saw foreigners fun of locals also

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:12 am

ria3n wrote:at times we saw foreigners fun of locals also
There are enough bigots in the world, so no more please, make love not war!