Singapore Expats

Can I get a employment pass?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jocka

Can I get a employment pass?

Post by Jocka » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:55 am

I am planing to study at a university in Singapore in the near future.
I am in financial need, and am considering to take up a job in Singapore to pay for the tution fees and living expences. My question is this: Can I as an international student apply for the employment pass while having a student pass, if I find a company that will take me in?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 7:52 am

The short answer is no. You cannot work on a student pass.

A company would have a very difficult time trying to qualify you for an EP. A company must demonstrate that it cannot find suitably skiiled local talent to fill the position, and quite frankly, there is no shortage of people with no money wanting to go to college here in Singapore.

As a policy matter I suspect the government would not allow such an arrangement because it would be completely inundated by students seeking to go to school, live, and work in Singapore.

dananjay

EP got rejected in first time :)

Post by dananjay » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 8:51 pm

Hello PALS,

Myself Dananjay applied for EP [Q1] through one of the company which will be outsourcing
to INVENSYS singapore and my salry is also above average [as per Q1 pass standards],
and yesterday i came to knew through my company that my EP [thr...Online] got rejected,
but MOM is not showing any reasons for rejaecting my EP

My salary meets minimum requirement for a Q1 pass and my contract is 2 year renewable. The HR agent handling my case assume that my chances are slim for a second appeal due to my 3 .6 yrs work experience and do not have a salary much higher than the minimum requirement. Also, the contract is only for a year. I do not understand why I am not granted the Q1 pass when I met all requirements...salary, education, experience and isn't the jobmarket improving in Singapore?

Its so frustrating when you finally got a job and this sort of thing happen. Please advise on what are my possible routes? Anyone experienced similar situation? What can I do to build up a successful case for the second appeal? I was thinking of meeting the MOM officer, does it help?

how many times can i re apply for Q1 EP and also how much time it will take if i apply now ?

Thanks in advance !

Warm Regards,
Dananjay