Singapore Expats

Fastest and A Sure-Get-In Way to SIA

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Joycee
Regular
Regular

Fastest and A Sure-Get-In Way to SIA

Post by Joycee » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 4:36 am

Hi all.

I am really interested in becoming the flight attendant of SIA. Can someone pls advice me on the fastest and A-Sure-Get-In-Way pls.

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

joycee

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 5:44 am

Sorry to say Joycee I find your post extremely disappointing. There is no such thing as a 'sure way of becoming a flight attendant'. Although I know of ways some attractive women have acquired favorable testimonials they are too just too rude to mention here. :P

You can however, help yourself by finding out what the job involves, list the positive and negative aspects and compare them and see if it really is a job you care to do and indeed if your are actually suitable. Consider the different aspects of the job and research them, true this would mean a lot of work but then if it is what you really want that is what you have to do.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:13 pm

LOL :) Oh dear Joyce. There isn't such a thing as a sure fast way to be a cabin crew. Work on your communication skills, presentation, grooming and confidence and try. Lots have failed, bounced back and entered. Good luck!

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:46 pm

haha yea thats a funny statement

there is no fastest way but with patience you will get there

Many girls here have waited and some have tried countless of times. some twice, some once, some 7 times, some even 12 times to be able to get in.
if you have the X factor then you might get thru on the first round but based on my conclusions you can get in if you keep trying.

but Yes, back to the question, Do u even know what this job is all about? This job is not only abt glamour & travelling the world, its about making your brand proud, putting on your kebaya but it is hard work cos it is a industry where you must commit to your job, stand long hours, wait on people and it is truly tiring but it is a fulfilling job at the end of the day. So are you ready? and have u got what it takes?
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 4:29 pm

corines143 wrote:but based on my conclusions you can get in if you keep trying.
I'd hate to burst anyone's bubble, but that's not really the case as far as SIA's concerned. If that were so, then being hired as an SIA cabin crew is just a function of time. Also, I haven't seen this personally myself, but I've been told that there's also a blacklist of previous applicants. So if one's been blacklisted for whatever reason (e.g. physical attributes, attitude etc) the chances of being hired would be rather slim.

Joycee
Regular
Regular

Thanks

Post by Joycee » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 4:58 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I truly appreciates it. but just
few more questions.

1) Will ppl get in becos of your friends or relatives being the ex-FA or they are from the HR side? I have hear of ppl whom got in where their mothers are the chief FA.

2) Can some FA or ex-FA share with me why you choose to become a FA and not other jobs? What is your passion? (Does it means that you like to serve others?) And why you have chosen SIA and not other airlines? (Or have your chosen other airlines but got in SIA, so u forgone others?) So what are the reasons why you forgone the other airlines and join SIA instead? What makes SIA stands out from the others?

Sorry to have asked so many questions. But I think to be prepared for interviews or to eventually join SIA, i should not only be physically prepared in terms of grooming and deportment, but i think mentally/ internally prepared - to understand why I really want the job, and whether this job suits me or not - is very important as well.

Hope you guys can give me more feedback.
Thanks

joycee

corines143
Chatter
Chatter

Post by corines143 » Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:35 pm

jencrs

I am just being very blant abt the application cos it seems the person asking the questions seems very ignorant abt the whole thing. haha no worries i know what you r getting at! hahaha
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:19 am

jencrs wrote:
corines143 wrote:but based on my conclusions you can get in if you keep trying.
I'd hate to burst anyone's bubble, but that's not really the case as far as SIA's concerned. If that were so, then being hired as an SIA cabin crew is just a function of time. Also, I haven't seen this personally myself, but I've been told that there's also a blacklist of previous applicants. So if one's been blacklisted for whatever reason (e.g. physical attributes, attitude etc) the chances of being hired would be rather slim.
Jencrs,
I doubt if there is any 'blacklist' of candidates since that would serve no purpose other than to clog up the companies files wasting time money and space in respect of storage and maintenance costs. What may happen from time to time is a candidate will attempt to bribe some of the personnel by attaching X amount of dollars to his/her application form. Should this happen possibly they would take note of the persons name since that is of course breaking the law or in the very least the personnel officer would be violating the terms of his/her contract with their employer. Don't worry similar stunts have been tried in the UK.

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 5:00 am

It'll certainly take up some storage and require maintenance, but it's all in a database, where a name and some details takes up just a few kilobytes. The benefits in savings might actually outweigh these costs, since they would be able to reject candidates before they reach the more expensive and time consuming parts of the recruitment process, like the medical.

There is certainly a blacklist for pilot applicants. This I saw while helping out in recruitment in between training when I was a cadet. And since SIA's streamlining their recruitment process, I wouldn't be suprised if their practices are very similar.

Still, I can't verify this blacklist for cabin crew recruitment myself, since I haven't seen it. However, this info is from a reliable source, actually my colleague's father who's a flight supervisor. He was checking the application status for a mutual friend and saw that there were marks against some names in the database, her name included. After a little more digging around, he concluded that that was a form of blacklisting.

But I'm not 100% certain until I find that out for myself the next time I'm at STC. So patience, i guess, while I go work my charms on the nice ladies over at the department.

Surprised to hear about the bribery attempts during application in the UK. Heck if I came across such applications, life as a cadet would've been more pleasant (hic!) :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 5:20 am

Jencrs,
Database and a few kilobytes or not, keep adding to it and the company use more and more space only for something to go on file and ultimately rarely if ever to be looked at. However, I cannot say such a thing doesn't exist as you mention there is some kind of 'blacklist'' for pilots although that does seem very odd to me. However, you are in Singapore which has its own laws the Data Protection Act in the UK forbids employers to keep data more than three years with the exception being the Department of Health (or was) and possibly the police force. Although as I acknowledged the difference in laws between our respective countries. I think the retaining of data in Singapore may be around the same time. I do know the airline only keep records of previous employees for three years.

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 7:48 am

Plavt wrote:Jencrs,
Database and a few kilobytes or not, keep adding to it and the company use more and more space only for something to go on file and ultimately rarely if ever to be looked at. However, I cannot say such a thing doesn't exist as you mention there is some kind of 'blacklist'' for pilots although that does seem very odd to me. However, you are in Singapore which has its own laws the Data Protection Act in the UK forbids employers to keep data more than three years with the exception being the Department of Health (or was) and possibly the police force. Although as I acknowledged the difference in laws between our respective countries. I think the retaining of data in Singapore may be around the same time. I do know the airline only keep records of previous employees for three years.
I don't know if Singapore has the equivalent of the Data Protection Act in the UK, but I agree that such a list needs to be pruned from time to time, whether it be a legal requirement or not.

I've PM'ed you more details on the pilot interview process. Just to add, applicants for cadet pilot are now only allowed 2 attempts for the 1st interview, and only one chance for anything after that (ie tea party, final interview, SIT test etc). One of the reasons why such a list exists. Applicants who fail are added to this list. Since all applications are through the internet now, each person would be screened automatically through this list before an interview list is generated.

You'd be surprised at the lengths SIA would go to check one's previous applications with the company. Previously, before any of this was automated, we had to physically do a search through the database for EACH application. Time consuming, but that's the life of a cadet in between training.

Of course none of the above necessarily applies to the cabin crew recruitment. Anyway, you can read more about it in my PM.

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia » Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:32 am

There's no sure way of getting into this competitive field.

Firstly, do you meet the basic requirements needed to get into SQ? If you don't, then I guess you can kiss the dream bye bye!

But why SQ anyway? There are so many other airlines... if you're really passionate about wanting to fly, why not try other airlines and try to gain experience first?

Many international airlines are currently recruiting in Singapore. Why not give them a try instead?
Me wanna fly high!