Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 8:16 pm

mayfair wrote:Luv_BA,

Plavt can you advise on that too? thanks cos I am worried about my status now since I also suffer from childhood asthma.
I think the concern of the airline's doctor is such a condition may re-surface, you really need to get advice from a doctor familiar with working conditions in aviation but just how you do this I am not sure.

I think it would be best to write to the Airline, as they will be able to acquire this information for you.

Here is some info for you albeit from foreign sources;

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Cam/T ... a/menu.htm

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... onId=22401

Hope this helps.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 8:18 pm

mayfair wrote:Luv_BA,

Plavt can you advise on that too? thanks cos I am worried about my status now since I also suffer from childhood asthma.
I think the concern of the airline's doctor is such a condition may re-surface, you really need to get advice from a doctor familiar with working conditions in aviation but just how you do this I am not sure.

I think it would be best to write to the Airline, as they will be able to acquire this information for you.

Here is some info for you albeit from foreign sources;

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Cam/T ... a/menu.htm

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... onId=22401

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Plavt on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 8:31 pm

Luv_BA wrote:I did not declare at the beginning cos the application form did not require us to fill that in.

I thought airlines only keep the record for 6 months?

After which they delete the records?
Depends on the law of the country; the UK has a data protection act which allows employers and other organisations to keep data for three years but there are exceptions. For example the Department of Social Security in England is or was (I am not up to date) allowed to keep records for seven.

zicron

another round of recruitment... for malaysians only

Post by zicron » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:00 pm

hey all another opening malaysians only >.< stewards and stewardesses 2nd December deadline for form submission... i guess they still short of malaysians :)

mictan86

Post by mictan86 » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:18 pm

Hello..

Anyone knows if the computer test will be immediately after the swim test on the same day?

Thanks! :D

fresh7up

Re: another round of recruitment... for malaysians only

Post by fresh7up » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:37 pm

zicron wrote:hey all another opening malaysians only >.< stewards and stewardesses 2nd December deadline for form submission... i guess they still short of malaysians :)
Well they're employing Indian stewardesses too and suprisingly the minimum height required is 160cm. :roll:

zicron

Post by zicron » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:47 pm

mictan86 wrote:Hello..

Anyone knows if the computer test will be immediately after the swim test on the same day?

Thanks! :D
hey mic ... were you part of the sheraton hotel batch last sunday?

mictan86

Post by mictan86 » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:49 pm

hi zicron,

Yup =)

were u?

zicron

Post by zicron » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:06 pm

mictan86 wrote:hi zicron,

Yup =)

were u?
Hi Mic,

yup...but failed 2nd round interview ... so they told you that you will be going to the 3rd round after the 1v1 interview?

mayfair

Post by mayfair » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:08 pm

Thank you Plavt for the sources.

Luv_ba, I declared my condition in my application form since the first walk in. I distinctly remembered a section on that. Perhaps your application then did not require.
The interviewers also clarified my conditions with me during the management interview... cross my fingers and hope it will not affect me.
I think you should continue to pursue your dream. I totally understand how you feel about being hindered by a medical problem which does not affect you anymore.... and the fact that you have made it so far.
If you don't mind can you tell me if it was stated in your rejection letter that the cause was due to your childhood asthma?

mictan86

Post by mictan86 » Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:32 pm

zicron wrote:
mictan86 wrote:hi zicron,

Yup =)

were u?
Hi Mic,

yup...but failed 2nd round interview ... so they told you that you will be going to the 3rd round after the 1v1 interview?
Will be going for 3rd round. dunno if the 4th and 3rd rounds would be on e same day. any idea? =)

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:42 am

1. For those who have gone through the medical, you must understand that even if the doctor gives you a clean bill of health (after declaring your medical history like childhood asthma in the above cases), the company may still reject your application. So even after the doctor ok's you the company may not.

2. It's possible for your records to be in SIA for several years. I have a friend who applied to be a tech crew a couple of years ago, but was rejected apparently because of "manpower" issues. Recently he asked me if he should try again, so I made some enquires on his behalf. I found that SIA still has his details in the database, and that he was rejected by SIA (he actually passed the CAAS medical board) because of former health issues.

I don't think I need to go into the ethical and potential safety issues of being dishonest in disclosing your medical history.

indcisive
Regular
Regular

Re: another round of recruitment... for malaysians only

Post by indcisive » Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:11 am

zicron wrote:hey all another opening malaysians only >.< stewards and stewardesses 2nd December deadline for form submission... i guess they still short of malaysians :)
woot~~ gonna give it another shot..

Luv_BA

Post by Luv_BA » Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:11 pm

I understand.

But I also have friends who had childhood asthma and are now flying happily with SIA.

They just did not declare it to the doctor.

I think this is really unfair. Besides, I am already perfectly normal now.

My friend told me that SIA only maintain records for 6 months. I really want to try again. This is my dream, my passion. You understand?

I have already tried for British Airways. Got into the finals and waiting for my results now.

If I don't get it, I will try to apply for SIA or even Silkair.
To be or not to be, that's a question

shrapnel
Regular
Regular

Post by shrapnel » Wed, 15 Nov 2006 8:52 pm

does anyone here know there would be how many off days during next yr chinese new yr?i am fr msian and need to get ticket back to spore in advance though now i am still pending for my training date...
thanks in advance!