Singapore Expats

Terror Threat

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
robin37

Terror Threat

Post by robin37 » Tue, 07 Nov 2006 6:09 pm

Hello,

Is there any terror threat in Singapore?

With the neighbouring countries being large Islamic states and with Singapore being a beacon of capitalism is there an ongoing threat is Singapore a target?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 07 Nov 2006 7:10 pm

I suppose that there is a terror threat. However, compared to most other countries whose borders are extremely porous... the US comes to mind, plus the fact that the Singapore govt is well aware of terror threats, cooperates with other agencies and governments, and probably can do things that a Western democracy cannot do, I think I would choose Singapore over just about any other city in the world.

One only need consider Munich, London, New York, Madrid to see the difference. Also, these countries have a large Islamic population within, often as an underclass.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:53 pm

Succeeding in Singapore would certainly be a feather in the terrorists' cap because of our Western affiliation and the fact that it is so difficult to succeed here with the extreme vigilance of the police and military, to the point of being paranoid. All the schools now have security guards at the gate which is a sad way for kids to grow up and totally unnecessary in my opinion.

There are places like Orchard Road, Changi Airport, Great World City, Tanglin Mall, Sentosa etc where many tourists and expats hang out and those are good targets I would think. Having said that, terrorism has gone global now and I agree with SE that Singapore is probably not any more dangerous than any other major city in many parts of the world.

One thing I learnt is that if we live every day in such a way that if we're prepared to die that night, terrorism lose much of its, well, terror. And if we're afraid to die then statistically crossing the road or driving a car is much more dangerous and we'd do well not to step out of the house. :)

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:27 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Also, these countries have a large Islamic population within, often as an underclass.
Yeah and I feel so sad for them. Sometimes, I think they may be better off living in their own mother land. It is never easy living in a culture different from yours.

SE, thank you for all your insightful posts. There's hasn't been a post that you wrote that I do not like. I feel like a teenager in love (crush)again :love: . I am only saying this because I know it is safe as you are a granddaddy :D .

As for terror threat, I think it is a real issue and we all have to be vigilant but still be sensitive towards others.

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Re: Terror Threat

Post by Grim Reaper » Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:29 pm

robin37 wrote:Hello,

Is there any terror threat in Singapore?

With the neighbouring countries being large Islamic states and with Singapore being a beacon of capitalism is there an ongoing threat is Singapore a target?
Ah, you fall for it: Islam means terror....

Stop thinking in cliches and start thinking rational.

btw, Indonesia and Malaysia are as capitalist as Singapore.
Time will come....

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Ling2 » Wed, 08 Nov 2006 4:09 pm

Actually human has always been the greatest terror....

The media is twisted....

If we let fear runs our lives.... then terrorists had already won the battle.

Sigh...ignorance is bliss.

Return to “General Discussions”