Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
ipodnano

Post by ipodnano » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 4:19 pm

Perhaps the Singapore/Malaysian thing is the polite way of saying "Non-Asians need not apply"...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never actually seen a non-Asian SQ crew..
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Suzycreamcheeze wrote:Hi people,
I have a query actually. In the SQ website, it doesnt state that PR's will be accepted in this intake. Im just wondering if it is understood that when they say 'Singapore/Malaysian Citizens', it also means PR's. Cuz on previous posts, they clearly stated it.
I just dont want to go down if they are clearly gonna ask me to leave, cuz im gonna have to go through alot to go down for the interview this sunday.
And another query actually, i am acutally half korean with British nationality(passport) but Singapore PR of cos. I was born here and been here ever since. I don't know how strict SIA is with their policies, but is that a reason for them to reject me? If anyone actually knows, kindly let me know. Thanks a bunch
This issue was raised elsewhere in this thread and as far as I remember it is perfectly permissible for those with PR status to apply. That said they can always change their policies so if I can find the relevant information I will post the results here on the other hand it may be a good idea to contact the airline themselves.
Suzy,

After have a good look at the SQ site advertisement and downloading the various application forms and reading over them it would seem that this intake is limited to Singaporean or Malaysian Citizens only. Other position applications on the website specifically indicate PR while the current application form for Flight Attendant does not. However, while it did NOT say PR's it still left the field for PINK/BLUE NRIC's probably because of Malaysian PR's in Singapore (lots of them). They are Malaysian Citizens but have Blue Singapore PR NRIC's. I think in this case the only thing you could do would be to call them direct or just go down to the walk-in anyway.

sms

indcisive
Regular
Regular

Post by indcisive » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 4:47 pm

indcisive wrote:hi all,

I'm a malaysian guy who is going for this Sunday's interview. I would like to know if wearing a coat will it be considered as overdress? or should i just come in with normal office attire? Would also like to know the strict requirements for a guys hairstyle? Does it need to be really short or just neat?

Oh yeah, appreciate some input on this as well. My SPM results weren't that great, actually kinda bad but I got an A for English though. Started working straight after. However, I did a Diploma in Business Admin at a local college part-time while I was working and I've just completed it but I have yet to receive the Diploma Certificate. All I have are my result slips and my results are considerably good, will this do? Can I just pass them the result slips or will they deem it as unacceptable?

Thanks a heap for the help and advice!

ciao
Anyone can shed some light on this?

Thanks..

piNk APpLe

Post by piNk APpLe » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 5:03 pm

btw, anyone heard of tis rumor dat SQ dun take in ex-crews from other airlines like Tiger, Jetstar??

Suzycreamcheeze

Post by Suzycreamcheeze » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 6:39 pm

ipodnano wrote:Perhaps the Singapore/Malaysian thing is the polite way of saying "Non-Asians need not apply"...

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Plavt wrote: This issue was raised elsewhere in this thread and as far as I remember it is perfectly permissible for those with PR status to apply. That said they can always change their policies so if I can find the relevant information I will post the results here on the other hand it may be a good idea to contact the airline themselves.
Suzy,

After have a good look at the SQ site advertisement and downloading the various application forms and reading over them it would seem that this intake is limited to Singaporean or Malaysian Citizens only. Other position applications on the website specifically indicate PR while the current application form for Flight Attendant does not. However, while it did NOT say PR's it still left the field for PINK/BLUE NRIC's probably because of Malaysian PR's in Singapore (lots of them). They are Malaysian Citizens but have Blue Singapore PR NRIC's. I think in this case the only thing you could do would be to call them direct or just go down to the walk-in anyway.

sms
From what i know, there are eurasian girls (who are mixed too but have singapore citizenshop) as cabin crew and some of them are my friends. And i AM half korean and i dont look like an angmoh. My issue is not whether i look like a caucasian, cuz thats not the problem, its about the nationality.
But i've already got my answer so... 8-)

DoveLady

Post by DoveLady » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 7:06 pm

Plavt wrote:
DoveLady wrote:who do not know how to swim.
I would like to know what you mean by that as I have seen it time and time again in this forum and it really is a silly statement. The fact is you have to be able to swim the instructor does in fact ask that. Besides I don't know any body who willing jumps into water when they can't. By the way DoveLady what would happen if the life-jacket failed?
oops sorry what i meant was weak swimmers or candidates who know on breastroke or any other style but not so much on backstroke.. my apologies that i didnt state clearly earlier on.. :?

reef

Post by reef » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 7:14 pm

Hi Tenshi, you may have got ur info wrong. Yes you are required to wear a lifevest and jump from the mock plane directly into the pool...not into a raft.

After jumping... you will float up and swim across with back stroke...no other style.

It is the length of the pool.

You are not required to know any basic life saving skills and no...you do no have to swim a dummy across.

During the actual training, you will be taught some simple suvival skills in the water and you will need to pull a buddy (real person) across with ur life vest on.

tenshi wrote:Just like to clarify...I know that we are given a lifevest and must jump from a height from a plane onto an inflatable raft then only we drop into the water. Questions:

1. When we are in the water, do we simply move (as in trap water) to get to the other end or do we have to at least use some strokes to swim across? If so, what stroke is required - breast or back?

2. Is the other end the length or the breadth of the pool?

3. Do we have to know basic lifesaving skills? As in do we have to pull a dummy across to the other end?

I would appreciate if someone can clarify this. Thank you.
DoveLady wrote:
babysnow wrote:Anyone knows if it is a must to know how to swim? I'm really interested in becoming a flight attendent but i do not know how to swim. :(
hmm its ok, cuz for SQ there are candidates who do not know how to swim..what they are looking out for are candidates who are confident in water as u will be given a lifevest during the water confidence test. :wink:

reef

Post by reef » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 7:15 pm

It's only a rumour. =)
piNk APpLe wrote:btw, anyone heard of tis rumor dat SQ dun take in ex-crews from other airlines like Tiger, Jetstar??

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 7:23 pm

DoveLady wrote:
Plavt wrote:
DoveLady wrote:who do not know how to swim.
I would like to know what you mean by that as I have seen it time and time again in this forum and it really is a silly statement. The fact is you have to be able to swim the instructor does in fact ask that. Besides I don't know any body who willing jumps into water when they can't. By the way DoveLady what would happen if the life-jacket failed?
oops sorry what i meant was weak swimmers or candidates who know on breastroke or any other style but not so much on backstroke.. my apologies that i didnt state clearly earlier on.. :?
Acknowledged, do take care I don't want to patronize but the way some have been using English in the past has provoked some arguments. Good to know you can explain that way you have more chance - take your time with things you will get faster with experience. :D

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 7:43 pm

Plavt wrote:
grivoise wrote:Yet, this middle-aged aunty who went down the line collecting our application forms stopped at us, and told us that we shouldn't have worn jeans.
This was worth listening to irrespective of what others may or not have been wearing. The issue you raised has nothing to do with being the crux of the matter.
You're right. I shall heed her advice and wear a mini-skirt next time.

Lol.

Chill.

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 7:48 pm

Plavt wrote:
anti_spy999 wrote:
Yep, i am 1 of the interviewer. If you happened to be interviewed by me, you must consider yourself unlucky because i am very fussy. First impression always count. On the English part, i will close 1 eye and let the girls in even though they might stammer a bit. I know they are nervous. But if you use broken english just to test my patience, i will send you home in tears. Sometimes, my words hurt but i have got no choice because i want to see your reaction.

Any questions to ask, SQ fans?? :D
You will have to do better than that if you want to convince me, have a good look at your post!
Yes, was about to mention that too, Plavt.

Anti-spy, view your first post too. I think the applicants should be closing one eye to your english.

tenshi
Regular
Regular

Post by tenshi » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 9:00 pm

Thank you missphish for clarifying my doubts. Really appreciate your answers.

Yes I'll be there on Sunday. Are you a current crew?

tenshi
missphish wrote:
tenshi wrote:Just like to clarify...I know that we are given a lifevest and must jump from a height from a plane onto an inflatable raft then only we drop into the water. Questions:

I went for the water confidence test before and there wasn't an inflatable raft. You just jump straight into the pool.

1. When we are in the water, do we simply move (as in trap water) to get to the other end or do we have to at least use some strokes to swim across? If so, what stroke is required - breast or back?

Nope.. No tredding of water... they require you to swim backstroke. It is pretty easy as you will be wearing a life vest which makes floating on your back very easy. BUT, to be safe and don't leave anything to chance, you should try swimming back stroke without a life vest before the actual test. I did that too..

Length.

3. Do we have to know basic lifesaving skills? As in do we have to pull a dummy across to the other end?

Nope. You do not need any knowledge of lifesaving skills. You just need to jump and get yourself to the end of the pool.

This water confidence test is only after you've gotten through all the rounds in the walk in interview. You going for the interview this coming sunday? =)
DoveLady wrote: hmm its ok, cuz for SQ there are candidates who do not know how to swim..what they are looking out for are candidates who are confident in water as u will be given a lifevest during the water confidence test. :wink:

tenshi
Regular
Regular

Post by tenshi » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 9:05 pm

Thank you reef for replying. Appreciate your assistance in clarifying my doubts.

tenshi

reef wrote:Hi Tenshi, you may have got ur info wrong. Yes you are required to wear a lifevest and jump from the mock plane directly into the pool...not into a raft.

After jumping... you will float up and swim across with back stroke...no other style.

It is the length of the pool.

You are not required to know any basic life saving skills and no...you do no have to swim a dummy across.

During the actual training, you will be taught some simple suvival skills in the water and you will need to pull a buddy (real person) across with ur life vest on.

DoveLady wrote: hmm its ok, cuz for SQ there are candidates who do not know how to swim..what they are looking out for are candidates who are confident in water as u will be given a lifevest during the water confidence test. :wink:

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 9:13 pm

I dont think ppl should afraid of those who are diploma/degree grad cause everyone is equal. It doesnt mean that u have a higher chance of getting in.... if you're not what they want..as in personality wise...then they might not take u in....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 9:18 pm

ipodnano wrote:Perhaps the Singapore/Malaysian thing is the polite way of saying "Non-Asians need not apply"...

ipodnano,

I think you should take the earphones out of your ears when you're reading the posts. The last couple of posts show absolutely no reading comprehension. Are you trying to tell all of us here that Filippina's, Thai's, Korean's, Honkies, PRC's, Tiawanese & Japanese are not Asians? :-k #-o

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ipodnano

Post by ipodnano » Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:12 pm

the reason why i said that the Singapore/Malaysian Citizenship could actually just mean "Non-Asians need not apply" is because I have a Filipino friend (non-Singaporean but a PR) who had advanced to the water confidence test... she did not made it to the final cut though.. (but if it was her nationality that stopped her I don't think they would let her reach the water confidence stage)

And it was based on my personal experience that I've never seen a blonde or hispanic crew wearing a kebaya... yet there are Thai, Indonesian, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese SQ girls (non-Singaporeans)...

that's why it is my personal assumption that non-Singaporean (but PR) yet Asians are welcome to apply...

Suzycreamcheeze wrote:

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Suzy,

sms
From what i know, there are eurasian girls (who are mixed too but have singapore citizenshop) as cabin crew and some of them are my friends. And i AM half korean and i dont look like an angmoh. My issue is not whether i look like a caucasian, cuz thats not the problem, its about the nationality.
But i've already got my answer so... 8-)