Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 10:51 pm

Shreked - Unfortunately, I am not an Aviation Medical Examiner. But it could be an issue as flying may aggravate it? The main rule is if it causes you to take medical leave excessively or you're considered unfit plus the work is exhausting and cabin altitutde, then it's an issue already.

Most Malaysian girls stay near the condo near STC or around Tampines area. Your contract is on different terms so there should be some allowances for that. Rental flats? - Please go to the other forum to check it out. Do check with HR on housing issues as they can try to suggest. There sure will be other Malaysian girls in your batch, perhaps you gals can combine an rent a place together.

Quite a few people keep asking my background. Only the moderators know it. The world is small and never wise to reveal too much :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 11:27 pm

toygirl wrote:
Quite a few people keep asking my background. Only the moderators know it. The world is small and never wise to reveal too much :)
Without malice would posters please respect this girls privacy we are all entitled to some.

hippo_girl

Post by hippo_girl » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 3:04 am

hi all... i hv been following thru this forum since last intake.. reading as many post as i can..

since recently someone toks abt fat/plump.. i will like to take this oppounity to ask.. i'm 1.60m & weight 56kg.. and i am not sure if there is any SQ gal is of this size.. as in 'bigger frame'.

besides that, i got a little scar near my thumb. it was a deep cut on my left hand many yrs ago when i was trying to do some cooking at home.. its pretty obvious & display the scar when u try to do the serving of food movement using the left hand. lolx...

can anyone help if tat is going to affect the result of the interview. super worried. :(

nevertheless, i will still go for the interview on 12nov. EVEN if i got rejected. I will say AT LEAST I TRIED. hehe... :D

Lighthammer

Post by Lighthammer » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 5:23 am

Yes I'm overweight. But not those flabby ones... Except for the lovehandles haha. :oops:

Probably my mum will be there because she needs to take the height measurements...

Still don't feel too confident... :(

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 9:52 am

toygirl wrote:Shreked - Unfortunately, I am not an Aviation Medical Examiner. But it could be an issue as flying may aggravate it? The main rule is if it causes you to take medical leave excessively or you're considered unfit plus the work is exhausting and cabin altitutde, then it's an issue already.

Most Malaysian girls stay near the condo near STC or around Tampines area. Your contract is on different terms so there should be some allowances for that. Rental flats? - Please go to the other forum to check it out. Do check with HR on housing issues as they can try to suggest. There sure will be other Malaysian girls in your batch, perhaps you gals can combine an rent a place together.

Shouldnt be an issue. I still afford to go to school during the attack. Apart from that, I think everything is fine.
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

indcisive
Regular
Regular

Post by indcisive » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:39 am

toygirl wrote:Shreked - Unfortunately, I am not an Aviation Medical Examiner. But it could be an issue as flying may aggravate it? The main rule is if it causes you to take medical leave excessively or you're considered unfit plus the work is exhausting and cabin altitutde, then it's an issue already.

thanks toygirl!

oh yeah, im a guy not a girl.. forgot to state.. will there be any differences?

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 1:46 pm

Lighthammer - Your mom will be there :) Just go - Who knows. You may have an edge due to your mother who is staff or ex-staff!

Indecisive - No difference. We have Malaysian stewards who do the same thing. Most live in Tampines area or close the airport. Easier to get to work.

Hippogirl - Just try. The worst that can happen is they reject you. You gain experience from each step!

:)

anti_spy999
Regular
Regular

Post by anti_spy999 » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 2:54 pm

Please take note of these things when you go for an interview

1) Please wear white office blouse for ladies and white long sleeve office shirt
for guys.

2) No black/very dark color clothings please!!! Very rude!!! Bad impression to the interviewer!!!

3) No light pink, purple, blue and light color clothes!

4) Black/very dark color clothes in the interviewer's eyes is you want to act superior than him/her.

5) Light color clothes means you will never be serious in your work!

6) Ladies please sit, stand, walk, or gesture in a ladylike manner. No "tomboy" behaviour please!

7) Guys should behave like gentleman. Sit with legs not too far apart and please sit up straight. No slouching please!

8~) When you are sitting on a chair with a table in front of you, please DO NOT place your hands on the table. It means you want to fight with your interviewer??

9) Ladies sit with legs folded and hands should be on the knees.

10) No folding your arms please! very rude! Bad impression!

11) No fidgeting when you stand up and speak, do not use your hands to wipe off your sweat or use your sleeve to wipe off the sweat. Always have some tissue in your pocket and use those tissue papers to wipe off your sweat!

12) No nose digging, roll eyes, stare at the floor, tap your shoes on the floor, shake your legs and make the table & your whole body vibrate and guys please please don't rattle the table with your knuckles & produce man made music drum. I know most of you do this in school...

13) Please refrain from touching your face, scratch your body, hand or legs. Stay still.

14) SMILE!!! If you do not know how to smile, i can teach you how to smile. NO PERVERT SMILE PLEASE!!

15) Be Yourself!!!

16) Be confident!

17) DO NOT STAMMER. Be calm and don't get nervous!

18) Maintain the required eye contact with everyone you are speaking to. Manners!

19) Greet interviewers and everyone and ask for permission from interviewers to sit down.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will continue to write some more if i can think of more things to remind you!

*I am 1 of the interviewer for the SIA cabin crew recruitment!*

Regards,
NS
SIA Cabin Crew Executive
~I hoped to join SIA engineering Team!~

nita_ash

hey guys

Post by nita_ash » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 5:21 pm

Hello there to all aspiring cabin crew wannabes.

I have been reading the posts on this site for a pretty long time, and I have to say, its been quite an experience. There is so much one can learn from here! Anyway, I will be going for the interview on the 12th. God, I've got so many flaws, I've got horrible teeth, my height might get in the way of me getting the job et.c. But I am going cos' I am not going to let anything get in the way of me giving it a try.

Can someone who had made it through tell me what happens at the medical checkup? What are some of the things they keep a look out for when screening candidates?

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 5:34 pm

anti_spy999, are you for real? LOL.

Speaking of dressing... at the August recruitment I went for, there were all sorts of dressing of course. But I felt that SQ would look at the whole presentation, since unlike Emirates they did not specify a strict dresscode. A friend and I wore jeans (nice ones, la) and a formal top with heels and full make-up with our hair smartly tied back.

I spied a few girls in front of us wearing micro-minis and flip-flops with tee-shirts. Yet, this middle-aged aunty who went down the line collecting our application forms stopped at us, and told us that we shouldn't have worn jeans. We pointed out the other girls' dressing and she said, "even mini-skirts would be better, lor", and continued giving us disapproving looks.

I hope the interviewers' don't hold the same view as her.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 5:46 pm

grivoise wrote:anti_spy999, are you for real? LOL.

Speaking of dressing... at the August recruitment I went for, there were all sorts of dressing of course. But I felt that SQ would look at the whole presentation, since unlike Emirates they did not specify a strict dresscode.

One would hope it would be obvious you don't wear jeans to an interview or assessment as such attire is associated with being sloppy, rowdy, lazy and social misfits. This is not only true of Singapore but of my own country and just about any other - remember first impressions. The interviewers in most instances will not have seen you before so you need to portray yourself as far as possible as disciplined and attentive to detail.

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 6:49 pm

Plavt wrote:
grivoise wrote:anti_spy999, are you for real? LOL.

Speaking of dressing... at the August recruitment I went for, there were all sorts of dressing of course. But I felt that SQ would look at the whole presentation, since unlike Emirates they did not specify a strict dresscode.

One would hope it would be obvious you don't wear jeans to an interview or assessment as such attire is associated with being sloppy, rowdy, lazy and social misfits. This is not only true of Singapore but of my own country and just about any other - remember first impressions. The interviewers in most instances will not have seen you before so you need to portray yourself as far as possible as disciplined and attentive to detail.
The only girl in my group who got in was wearing jeans. Cross my heart!

Quite a few SIA crew themselves think that's not the crux either.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 7:02 pm

grivoise wrote:Yet, this middle-aged aunty who went down the line collecting our application forms stopped at us, and told us that we shouldn't have worn jeans.
This was worth listening to irrespective of what others may or not have been wearing. The issue you raised has nothing to do with being the crux of the matter.

leonine

Post by leonine » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 7:41 pm

hi everyone, i'm new to this forum too and have been reading up alot. i've been thinking whether i should attend the walk in interview this coming sunday.
firstly, i think i'm on the chubby side as compared to the very slim SQ girls around. i'm unsure abt my weight as i haven been weighing myself for some time, would most likely be a 1.59-1.6m / 53kg or so. this makes me less confident of myself as mentioned, the other girls are very much slimmer.
Also, i've got a non-coloured scar but bumps can be seen at certain angles and it's on my hand, so it's rather visible. i'm contemplating whether i should go for it, ignoring my alter ego which is holding me back.

:?

Suzycreamcheeze

Post by Suzycreamcheeze » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 7:42 pm

Hi people,
I have a query actually. In the SQ website, it doesnt state that PR's will be accepted in this intake. Im just wondering if it is understood that when they say 'Singapore/Malaysian Citizens', it also means PR's. Cuz on previous posts, they clearly stated it.
I just dont want to go down if they are clearly gonna ask me to leave, cuz im gonna have to go through alot to go down for the interview this sunday.
And another query actually, i am acutally half korean with British nationality(passport) but Singapore PR of cos. I was born here and been here ever since. I don't know how strict SIA is with their policies, but is that a reason for them to reject me? If anyone actually knows, kindly let me know. Thanks a bunch