Singapore Expats

any job offerings out there?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
silviasingapore

any job offerings out there?

Post by silviasingapore » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 5:33 pm

hi everybody
i am a 24 years old italian girl looking for a job in singapore as receptionist, admin, secretary, etc. I have very good english both written and spoken.
i tried jobsdb,jobsteet, monster singapore and many other sites but they always ask for singaporean or pr. i have a long term social pass that will expire in 2 years.
can anybody help me in finding websites or companies sponsoring and/or hiring foreigners?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: any job offerings out there?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:28 pm

silviasingapore wrote:hi everybody
i am a 24 years old italian girl looking for a job in singapore as receptionist, admin, secretary, etc. I have very good english both written and spoken.
i tried jobsdb,jobsteet, monster singapore and many other sites but they always ask for singaporean or pr. i have a long term social pass that will expire in 2 years.
can anybody help me in finding websites or companies sponsoring and/or hiring foreigners?
You need to somehow get a Dependent's Pass if possible. Don't know the reason for you having a LTSVP so cannot comment further.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
You need to somehow get a Dependent's Pass if possible. Don't know the reason for you having a LTSVP so cannot comment further.

sms
Hi SMS, I think you will find that Singapore is giving the LTSVP to foreign talent now, to encourage them to move to Singapore, they have 2 years in which to find a job. But I would only think the LTSVP is issued to degree holders not sure!

I was reading about the LTSVP in the newspaper a while back, the government are on a recruitment drive, giving people 2 years to find work, in Singapore, they can get pr after a short term of employment, 6 months i think it said.

Strange I found the link to this new PEP, but it doesn't mention the LTSVP, which it did in the newspaper. never mind! maybe someone else can enlighten us, to what's going on.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... tpass.html

lalit_72

jobs opening

Post by lalit_72 » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 1:05 am

Hi silvia,

I can tell from your experiences cause i am myself looking for the a job in singapore. I hold EPEC which enables me to remain in singapore for one year & look for a job. Still where ever i apply i also find citizens and SPR are only eligible for it.what i have found from my experiences is that the singaporean companies are very strict abt it but multinational companies are bit flexible so you can beter apply to multinational companies. The chances of finding a job are bright there.

silviasingapore

Post by silviasingapore » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:52 am

thanks a mil.
we have requested a dependant pass but i will not be given one as i am not married. i am italian but moved to singapore from ireland with my boyfriend. he was asked to come over here so he's ok with his work pass and visa.
it took 2 months for me to have the long social pass and believe me i applied and still am applying to any jobs that fit my profile... multinational companies and non.
as foreigner i though it was going to be difficult to get a job, but not this difficult.
i read that singapore needs something like 10000 peole a year to come into the country to make sure everything runs... lets say.... "smoothly".
so i hope that someone out there can give me a hand.
any help would be appreciated.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 2:50 pm

Hi Silvia I have sent you a Private Message; I hope you can pick it up.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 6:18 pm

Janztang,
The CLASSIFIEDS section of this forum is for the advertising of services among other things it's FREE.

cleopatrikke

Post by cleopatrikke » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 2:47 pm

Hello, I'm thinking of looking for new job too. I love what I am doing right now, it's a corporate marketing job which allows me to be exposed lot of business. I do the tie up with different business to my company, mainly on promotions. Why I'm looking for another job is because I dont know how long my company would like to keep it going as this is just a side project. I hope I could find a similar job from other company as I couldn't let go of my corporate outfits should I take another job. hehe kidding. I am a mid 20 degree holder but I'm just holding S-pass here.

I'd love to find a job in a bank here. Yay btw, I know classified, jdb,js and sat.newspaper but with this post I'm just hoping that an angel soul would pass by this thread and point me to what I'm looking for. :lol:

silviasingapore

Post by silviasingapore » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 3:23 pm

lucky you... at least you havea job... and in the meantime...ur getting paid loking for another one :o)
am still looking. got an interview yesterday and today but got 2 totally different impressions even if for the same company.
not related to my area at all, in fact the job was for a coffee shop barista. very nice palce but not really a step up in my career.
what can i do though... companies dont seem interested in what i could offer and to be honest i am going home 4 xmas... wondering if i should come back at all as its pretty hard and am spending a fortune of my saving...
all this probabily sounds negative, but thats what am going through.... unfortunately.
hope u'll get a new job that will make you smile

ill keep my fingers crossed for you :)

cleopatrikke

Post by cleopatrikke » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 5:50 pm

Hi there, that’s so sweet of you, lets keep our fingers crossed for both of us then. Just keep on looking because so long as you are continuously exploring all the possible opportunities you will soon find one that suits you for sure. And don’t be disheartened by these ads that requires PR or Singaporean because the target is for you to get through the door of the interviewer and get a chance for a warm up. If they like you they’ll make you an exception.When I applied for my current company they also require PR or Singaporean but I took chance and so here I am. Looking for another one again.ÌÌ :P

lalit_72

looking for job

Post by lalit_72 » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 7:18 pm

hi silvia,

I know that maybe ur bit frustarted and its natural but i would like to share my experience with u . i am in singapore for a week but i think i have catched the pulse of job market here. i went to job fair on sunday & did lot of interaction with the companies who are present at the job market. i am from the banking line with 10 years of experience with a EPEC given by MOM. The HR Managers appericate my CV but they always ask a question that whether i am a Singapore Citizen or PR.when i aksed them the reasons that why they always look for Singapore Citizen or PR they told me that toif they hire a forgiener they have to give justifications to the MOM & that is quite a complex process.So i asked them what are my chances of getting a job here which they said is that you keep on applying & if your resume is shortlisted then we would get back but maybe is a polite way of saying no.Now what i feel is that i should have some good time in singapore , travel some of south east asia & go back.

Reagrding your job , as as i can make out maybe you wil get a job like as u say in a barista or some outlet but do keep in mind whether it will give you job satisfaction or not. I dont mean to discourage you but it seems job market in singapore is quite difficult to crack.

best of luck....

silviasingapore

Post by silviasingapore » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 7:25 pm

u got it right lalit!
and believe me i will go around as much as i can (went to indonesia last week, and planning to go to thailand) but since am not working i kind of think where to go... :)
for the job thing.... i went to a job fair myself and i keep applying and i think the mom stuff is the "real" problem.
to be honest i do not think i want the job at the coffee place cause it wouldnt be for me.
i mean, ive done it and all, i think the place is cute and there are pretty cool people working there but at the same time i wonder if something better and more "appropriate" could come along.
just checked my mail as well and i might be getting another interview... ill keep my finger crossed in case they cannot employ a foreigner.... :wink:

RamonIII

Post by RamonIII » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 3:45 pm

Hi Silvia,

I'm Ramonito and I'm also trying to find a job in Singapore. I will be going to Singapore this January 26, 2007. I'm interested to know how you applied for LTSP (long term social pass), can you help me?

I've already applied for an EPEC. I got their confirmation that they received it and it was being processed; however, up until now (2 months after) I haven't received any update on it. I replied to their email but got no reply at all.

Anyone, can you help me.

Thank you in advance.

donhay

Post by donhay » Thu, 09 Nov 2006 2:08 pm

Am in the situation as RamonIII, I will like to know how can one apply for a long term social pass in Singapore? Hope some kind soul will guide me. Thank You

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 09 Nov 2006 7:32 pm

Personally I would suggest that you all get together and confront the issues together, these obstacles seem common to all, which suggests to me, that the government have not thought it through, when allowing foreigners to come here to look for work.

The recruitment drive by government is to increase the potential of foreign talent in Singapore, It appears counter productive, if they haven't exempted these visa applicants from some of the Company's employment rules, the companies have a catch 22 situation, while they cannot employ if you don't have the pr status or employment pass.

I was under the impression that companies looking for foreign talent, would be exempt from employing the local labour, so these foreign talents could be used, the whole exercise of recruiting foreign talent needs looking into, because you are all just wasting your hard earned savings for nothing. Kind of being exploited really for the tourist industry!

I would form a petition of solidarity, to let the authorities know, they have made errors, in the recruitment of foreign labour. Singapore is trying hard to copy the UK idea of exempting foreign talent into the UK based on education, however the business community do not have the same restrictions for employment put on them.