Singapore Expats

Work and Study programme

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
grivoise
Regular
Regular

Work and Study programme

Post by grivoise » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 7:15 pm

Hi all...

Got an email invitation from SASS Atlantic for a walk-in interview for their new work and study programme. Does anyone know what this entails? I've only heard that you study for a marketing diploma while serving an internship with Jetstar or Valuair before being placed in a major airline like Emirates.

Anyone here with facts on the above?

vaney

Post by vaney » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:54 pm

hello...

any age limit? :)

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 3:09 pm

vaney wrote:hello...

any age limit? :)
Erm, that's the thing, I have no idea at all about this programme. Did a search on the internet and nothing came up. It's not mentioned much on the SASS Atlantic site either.

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:18 pm

argh! not one person here has any idea?!

cherrysauce

Post by cherrysauce » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 9:07 am

anyone been through this programme before? is the diploma internationally recognised?

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 5:18 pm

It is a private diploma from my understanding and not a polytechnic diploma. I think it is going to be challenging studying and working. But go for the preview and see what is like. You have plenty of time.

grivoise
Regular
Regular

a little enlightened

Post by grivoise » Sat, 28 Oct 2006 8:16 pm

Alrightee... went for the briefing by SASS Atlantic and got to know a few more details of this programme. Apart from what's already stated above, in random order...

- You earn extra by sales (like the food sold on board) so if you empty the entire cart it's $2,400 split by 4-5 crew
- The total cost of the training and schooling is a $17,000 bond for the duration of the 2.5 year course (no bond after that). If you decide to break the bond during the first 6 months of probation you'll have to pay a full $5,000, the other $12,000 is for your course fees so depending on where you left you'll pay pro-rated
- Pay during the 4-week training is $710
- The course includes a essential skills programme to teach you basic computer programme skills, etc before you start the semester officially
- You start flying first before school starts, to let your body get used to it
- There are currently no layover flights for Jetstar, all are turnaround
- Only recruits through SASS Atlantic are eligible for this programme, direct recruits by Jetstar do not have this
- Besides the basic pay as stated, there are no other allowances like meal or laundry extras, but taxi fare allowances will be given for certain flight timings
- It's basically a Diploma in Business leaning more to the Marketing side
- 2 lectures a week, complemented by 2 tutorials a week although tutorials are not always in session
- The rostering will be such that you will not have to fly on your lecture days and there will be rest days
- Crew training will include a 3-day training in Hong Kong
- You may have to do "carebear" duty which is really standby at the airport, you could even volunteer for duty on your off days if you'ld like to earn more
- If your grades slip, they'll reduce the number of flights you get

That's all I can remember. They didn't quite project what they thought Jetstar's image should be. We were told it's a fun environment with a culture unlike other airlines.

The pre-screening was more of a briefing, the Screener asked the group random questions like what we knew about Jetstar, etc. and hinted that she was screening us as she spoke. How she could remember the 20 of us by face, I have no idea, but then we were told to hand in our application forms and she'ld inform the selected ones by tonight.

cherrysauce

Post by cherrysauce » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:39 am

thanks for the info grivoise! :) i wanted to go down as well but i had other commitments.

hmm.. did they say which school the diploma is from?

did u get selected?

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 5:26 pm

cherrysauce wrote:thanks for the info grivoise! :) i wanted to go down as well but i had other commitments.

hmm.. did they say which school the diploma is from?

did u get selected?

Hey, I think you can actually write-in to SASS Atlantic directly to apply! Just state that it's for the programme.

Erm, they did mention but I don't have the pamphlet with me at hand, sorry! I'll post later.

Going for the 3rd interview. But I think I'll probably be commitment-phobic about it. Lol.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 4:00 pm

Grivoise - The bond is high, so do consider it as it is hefty sum to pay up thanks for sharing the information with the forumers here. Information flow does benefit everyone! :)

Cheers

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Thu, 02 Nov 2006 8:06 pm

toygirl wrote:Grivoise - The bond is high, so do consider it as it is hefty sum to pay up thanks for sharing the information with the forumers here. Information flow does benefit everyone! :)

Cheers
Yep. Didn't sign it in the end - think they must have cursed me for wasting their time. Maybe I'm commitment-phobic. Lol.

I mean, it SOUNDS inviting, you know, the diploma, but I don't think employers here would care for an external diploma, really.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:07 am

External diploma - Nah, not really worth it.
You might as well study for a private diploma anywhere here for very little.
I myself run a mile from "bond" places - I finished 1 bond in the beginning of my career and made it the last. :D