Singapore Expats

Good LCD/ Plasma Tv

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Ke

Good LCD/ Plasma Tv

Post by Ke » Wed, 25 Oct 2006 4:11 pm

Hello, can anyone recommend a good quality TV? Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba or Sony better? Which one is better?

Jedi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jedi » Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:27 am

Pioneer plasmas are the best. But not the cheapest.

wrayr

Post by wrayr » Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:34 am

It mostly depends on how big you want to go and the depth of your pocket.

Personally I think that Samsung is the better way to go right now if you want LCD, although Panasonic and Hitachi are doing some great plasmas.

The Philips stuff isn't bad, but the price is high. Speaking of high price, if you can afford it I'd go with anything from Pioneer. STUPID EXPENSIVE THOUGH.

Plasmas will come in a little cheaper usually though. Be sure to get one that has HDMI and also has some level of HD support. I won't go into the full HD thing here, but you'll see more and more of it over the coming months. HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, HD TV, XBox 360 and PS3 are all either here or coming soon.

I'm really not a fan of the Sony stuff. Overpriced and at least a generation behind what is offered in other countries.

DO NOT - REPEAT - DO NOT BUY ANY NO NAME BRANDS.

LCD and Plasma fall into two groups. Stuff that costs and is good, and the crap!

I'd recommend taking along a few DVDs you like and trying them out. If the store won't let you do this then walk away.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Thu, 26 Oct 2006 4:26 pm

I agree with the above.

Pick the size you want.
Pick LCD or Plasma ( could waffle for hours about pros and cons) Pick what you think looks best ..it'll be you looking at it after all.
DOn;t trust the images shown in the shop. They have high quality DVD disks and cables etc. Take your fav DVD and try it out.
If possible ask to see a TV ( SCV) picture on it.

Pick a brand name and your done.
Good luck

Ke

Post by Ke » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:12 am

Thks for all yr opinion. The sales guy recommend me to buy Sony, self do feel not worth. Anyone know is Toshiba good? As i feel much more reasonable price. Btw, I am looking for 32" Plasma/LCD TV :o)

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 2:21 pm

As a guide line 40 inch and above go plasma. If below go LCD.

Your case go LCD. just stick with a known brand..

Ke

Post by Ke » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 2:28 pm

Hi Bigfilsing, thks for yr msg. Kindly advise LCD TV which brand better, price wise i can pay up to $1,700. I am totally no idea on electronics, pls guide. thks so much....

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 2:44 pm

Here are a few tv reports you might be interested in having a look at (internet explorer only). It is an aussie tv show, but they do point out a few pit-falls.

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au/v. ... f=&fg=copy

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 3:13 pm

Also, I can't find it now, but there was a news report on ABC TV about 2 weeks ago (or Australian channel 96 on cable here) which spoke about reception problems with HDTV.

Many people in Australia had to spend on average $700 upgrading TV antenna's because the quality of older ones & cabling can signicantly affect picture quality, eg pixilation & freezing.

Might be a bit harder here if you are in HDB flat & share a communal antenna - though almost everyone has cable tv in sg, so may not be an issue.

Ke

Post by Ke » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 4:09 pm

Hi Splatted and all, thks for your reply. Btw Splatted, do you mean LCD TV support HDMI/HD is good?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 4:25 pm

Ke wrote:Hi Splatted and all, thks for your reply. Btw Splatted, do you mean LCD TV support HDMI/HD is good?
I'm only bringing up HD tv because other countries that have the technology intro'd earlier such as Australia, have already set dates for stopping analogue transmission. I'm presuming Singapore will also head this direction considering the country prides itself on being technologically ahead.

With this in mind, a lot of people in Australia are upgrading, but finding because of their location, ie suburban melbourne & sydney is very wide area-wise, digital tv picture quality can be dissapointing using older tv antenna & cabling. ie frequent picture freezes and pixilation.

Anyway, regardless - even if you bought a tv that wasn't HD-ready you can always find digital set-top boxes relatively cheap if it does end up analogue transmission is stopped a few years from now.

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sun, 29 Oct 2006 9:56 am

I'm planning to buy a 50" plasma. Can anyone recommend a good one and where might be the best place to buy? Also, what kind of price range will I be looking at? Thanks in advance!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 9:21 am

Ke ...stick with the well known brands. Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Samsung, etc . Don;t go with SHinco or any other brand you;ve never heard of.

Spaul. I got a great deal on a 50 inch JVC at Best Denki Great world city.
Very pleased with it so far. Supports all inputs. DVI, HDMI, Component, Composite, S-video, even got a PC 15 pin connector.

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks Bigfilsing! You mind if I ask what the price ranges were when you bought it?

muscularman

Post by muscularman » Tue, 05 Dec 2006 2:00 am

Sony 37 inches LCD not the 40 inches, downside only one HDMI.

Hitachi, downside becos of the motorised stand, easily cost $250-$300 for that stupid stand.

The rest of the brand nothing to shout about, cheers.