Singapore Expats

When is BA recruiting cabin crew in Singapore?

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Awaiting_SIA

Post by Awaiting_SIA » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 1:34 am

Yup~

Me too.. But it's ok. Anyway, I'm waiting for SIA's next round of interview.

At least they don't conduct any chinese test.

weissivart

Post by weissivart » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 7:01 am

gah!! im goin today!! need to read the dictionary now...
dans un monde ideal l'humanite n'existerait pas

dyra

Post by dyra » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 4:42 pm

how's the interview peeps?

it was tough for me, esp. the translation part.... i was so nervous...

guess that's it for me. shall try again next time they recruit. :cry:

dumbghost

Post by dumbghost » Fri, 20 Oct 2006 4:47 pm

well, i hope i did well ytd.... :shock:
well, jus pray hard....

desijoey
Chatter
Chatter

Post by desijoey » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:03 am

Ahhh I dun think I'll ever get to fulfill my dream of becoming a cabin crew in dis life...Juz 1cm too short!Again! :(

tenshi
Regular
Regular

Post by tenshi » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:38 pm

Plavt wrote:British Airways have few services in and out of Singapore hence the low recruitment. As Merliongal has implied their chief requirement will be languages skills as they often like to have a percentage of staff familiar with the language and culture of a country. In the case of Singapore this of course is most likely aimed at the older generation. One drawback is you are likely to find yourself on the same route permanently.

Plavt.
Indeed Plavt is right. S'porean cabin crew carry on the flight from Singapore to London or Shanghai or to wherever the end destination is. It is crucial that cabin crew from Singapore is fluent in Mandarin as they do require you to assist Mandarin speaking passengers or translate what the captain has said in Mandarin. Hence the requirement. As for their low recruitment rate, BA has bases all over the world, thus they only need S'poreans for flights in and out of Singapore. Drawback is that you do the same routes permanently. Good for those who like routine. However their welfare's pretty good with a good amount of rest dys in between.

I'M*(!_!)*Julie
Regular
Regular

Post by I'M*(!_!)*Julie » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 9:07 pm

desijoey wrote:Ahhh I dun think I'll ever get to fulfill my dream of becoming a cabin crew in dis life...Juz 1cm too short!Again! :(
Dear Girl,

dun be sad k! Didn't you mentioned that you were selected for Tiger but just that due to work commitment you could not take up the offer? maybe you can try tiger for their next intake k!

Cheer up!
Julie Tan
Never Regret, As Life Is Too Short For Regrets!

Awaiting_SIA

Post by Awaiting_SIA » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 1:39 pm

Hi people,

anyone of you received any calls from BA recently? So anxious waiting for a call...

Aquagal
Regular
Regular

Post by Aquagal » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 1:44 pm

Awaiting_SIA wrote:Hi people,

anyone of you received any calls from BA recently? So anxious waiting for a call...

They said wil call in two weeks time from e date of e interview, which is early Nov...

Awaiting_SIA

Post by Awaiting_SIA » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 2:05 pm

I see, thanks!

mahalo21

Post by mahalo21 » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 6:02 pm

e lady mentioned they will call by 3 Nov and if you dun receive any call after that, it means you have not been shortlisted for the next round.

desijoey
Chatter
Chatter

Post by desijoey » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 9:14 pm

I'M*(!_!)*Julie wrote:
desijoey wrote:Ahhh I dun think I'll ever get to fulfill my dream of becoming a cabin crew in dis life...Juz 1cm too short!Again! :(
Dear Girl,

dun be sad k! Didn't you mentioned that you were selected for Tiger but just that due to work commitment you could not take up the offer? maybe you can try tiger for their next intake k!

Cheer up!
Julie Tan
Hi Julie!How's flying?Thanks for the consolation!Feel quite sad coz SIA and recently BA couldn't lemme thru coz of my height.And it's juz 1cm short of the min so pretty upset.Thanks gal...greatly appreciated!:)

Awaiting_SIA

Post by Awaiting_SIA » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:56 pm

Did you guys see the recent news on the riots and bombings in London?

According to the interviewer, we will be required to spend a few months training in London. I wonder how safe is that..

Actually my dad is quite against the idea of me joining BA.. He said the number one target for the terrorists is now Britain followed by USA. It used to be USA but ever since they stepped up on their security, Osama changed his war tactics.

Sigh... To fly or not to fly, that's a question.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:22 am

Awaiting_SIA wrote:Did you guys see the recent news on the riots and bombings in London?

According to the interviewer, we will be required to spend a few months training in London. I wonder how safe is that..

Actually my dad is quite against the idea of me joining BA.. He said the number one target for the terrorists is now Britain followed by USA. It used to be USA but ever since they stepped up on their security, Osama changed his war tactics.

Sigh... To fly or not to fly, that's a question.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, although Britain most definitely can be considered a target, I think you would be in about as much danger in many other cities. Assume you worked for SIA you would have to travel to New York and many other American cities where the danger is probably greater despite their claim to have stepped up security. You may be interested to know the UK has had terrorism on its doorstep as far back as I can remember, I am of course referring to the IRA who did sometimes bomb places in the UK. A spin-off of that is our security forces are quite well experienced and have thwarted more than one attack. Tell your dad Singapore isn't immune either!

Plavt.

Awaiting_SIA

Post by Awaiting_SIA » Wed, 25 Oct 2006 1:35 am

Ya, I guessed every job has its risks... But I think it would be really scary if you are on a plane 5000 feet above sea level and then someone suddenly announce over the PA system:

"Dear passengers, this plane has been taken over by the Al Queda forces. If you look out of your right window, you can see a tall grey building. We will be crashing into it shortly. Can all passengers kindly return to your seats, fasten your seat-belts and remain seated. It may be hot and may burn quite a bit, but it will be over real soon.."

Then followed by chants of islamic verses from the Quran..silence. Bouts of panic, crying, shouting, people banging the walls of the plane.

If I were to be on the plane in such a situation, I really wonder what would I do... What would you guys do?