Singapore Expats

Advertising Industry Salaries

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
moonliter

Post by moonliter » Fri, 13 Oct 2006 5:37 pm

Hi!

I'm a 10+ years experienced INDIAN "Advertising Client Services"/ "Marcom" professional, seeking an Account Director's role in Singapore. I'm currently working/ residing in the Middle East, drawing US$ 4,100 PM, and have been interviewed by an MNC Advertising Agency in Singapore.

Before I go into a salary negotiation with them, I'd like to have help on the following from forum members:

1) A decent minimum salary for an Account Director in an MNC Advertising Agency? How much one can expect in an Assoc. Account Director level as well? I checked Kelly's salary chart but couldn't get any idea of my industry / sector.

How much I can expect to spend compulsorily per-month on such a salary?

2) What would be the income and other taxes applicable on such a position?

3) What is the difference between an "Expat package" and a "normal package". Whet makes one eligible for an Expats package?

4) With a normal package, what are the compulsory benefits?

Thanks to all of you for helping me on the above.

Regards

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 14 Oct 2006 6:30 pm

Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

moonliter

Post by moonliter » Sat, 14 Oct 2006 8:37 pm

Hello Mr Moderator! Thanks for your kind reply. Really apreciate that.

However, it seems you missed out my point #1 wherein I said that I've already looked thru Kelly's Salary Guide 2006; I couldn't find the level matching particularly from Advertising Agency, or experience of 10+ years!

Therefore, would be very kind of you to help me out thru other resources / forum members.

Thank you very much and have a good weekend!

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sat, 14 Oct 2006 9:18 pm

Try the one produced by Robert Walters. It seems to be better in my opinion.

moonliter

Post by moonliter » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 5:56 am

Where can I find this report of Walters...?

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 8:17 am

jpatokal

Re: Advertising Industry Salaries

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 9:30 pm

moonliter wrote:However, it seems you missed out my point #1 wherein I said that I've already looked thru Kelly's Salary Guide 2006; I couldn't find the level matching particularly from Advertising Agency, or experience of 10+ years!
Whoops, sorry about that -- your question (without the "read Kelly's already" bit!) gets asked way too much...

I can't say anything about the advertising industry, but for the rest:

2) Most expats have taxes in the 10-15% bracket. If you become a permanent resident (PR), you'll eventually need to fork out another 15% for CPF (retirement/medical fund).

3) You're an expat if you're recruited from outside Singapore, which seems to be the case for you. Benefits vary widely (and the historical trend is that these are less and less), but can include eg. relocation costs, yearly home leave, extra medical care/insurance, housing benefit, club memberships, etc.

4) Health insurance is about the only compulsory thing your employer must pay. If PR, they must also pay their share of your CPF.

moonliter

Post by moonliter » Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks to both of you - jpatokal and spoul - for the preliminary and quality information.

As it turns out, I already got bowled by the company on the Expat package issue, who said that they wouldn't pay for relocation and they would not be able to pay like GCC (I'm drawing 15,000 in local currency + family medical insurance+30 days paid leave+an air ticket home once a year).

What I get from the forum is that Singapore is pretty expensive than Dubai - although Dubai is getting more and more expensive day by day. Housing seems quite expensive (S$ 1500 to S$ 2500 minimum for Exec level 1BR condo...)

Any suggestions for better negotiations?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 5:22 pm

moonliter wrote:As it turns out, I already got bowled by the company on the Expat package issue, who said that they wouldn't pay for relocation and they would not be able to pay like GCC (I'm drawing 15,000 in local currency + family medical insurance+30 days paid leave+an air ticket home once a year).
Sorry, is that your current package in Dubai or what you'll get in Singapore? But it's true, salaries in the Gulf usually have a pretty big "hardship" bonus built in, whereas in Singapore you'll have a hard time complaining...
What I get from the forum is that Singapore is pretty expensive than Dubai - although Dubai is getting more and more expensive day by day. Housing seems quite expensive (S$ 1500 to S$ 2500 minimum for Exec level 1BR condo...)
Housing in Singapore depends very heavily on location and the apartment's age. I'm paying less than S$1500 for a (no-frills) 2BR 5 min from Orchard, and I used to pay less than that for a 3BR with the works out in the burbs of Jurong.

moonliter

Post by moonliter » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 6:58 pm

Thanks for the reply again!

Quoted 15000 is in UAE local currency. 1 UAE DIRHAM = 3.66 US $
I guess you guys should move in :-) :-) The company has telephon intervieweed me, but a 2nd one is expected. Before starting the interview the person clarified the points as stated above, by which I'm currently at a disadvantage.

And BTW, UAE is no more the "Hardship country" anymore, as 80% expats are more and more of them (esp. Brits) are opting to buy premium properties here - since there's 365 days of sun seas and sand guranteed!

Visit www.grapeshisha.com to know about UAE