Singapore Expats

Views on Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
aletheia

Views on Singapore

Post by aletheia » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:59 pm

Hi
Im a 38 year old european woman who is considering a transfer to Singapore in the banking sector. I have never met anyone who had lived there , and although it is a very broad question , I would appreciate if someone sould give me some views on what is life like in this city , specially for a woman?

Thanks

Aletheia

vjsimon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vjsimon » Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:31 pm

One thing I can say is that you won't regret moving here. This place is definitely much cleaner and safer than most other countries around the globe. This place is more foreigner-friendly (no offense). Accomodation, standard of living is just as it is in many of the major cities around the world. Can get pretty bored after some time coz you will end up doing almost the same things over and over again for a long period of time.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:00 am

Singapore is Asia light. Great infrastructure that is well maintained, English as the official government language, and a government that works very well, censorship and such notwithstanding.

It is a mix of western and Asian cultures. When I first got here I thought it rather strange to be sitting in a hawker center (a uniquely Singaporean food court) eating char siew pork and listening to Bob Dylan over the sound system. Quite a clash, and yet the norm. Or getting picked up by an old taxi driver, a grey haired gentlemen who had Kiss blasting from his stereo.

Like others have said, it is safe, clean, and open to ang mo... white expats. I really like the place, and I really like the people. It is a great experience.

Gadsden Flag

Post by Gadsden Flag » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 8:19 am

I have had single, western girlfriends -- about your age who found it very hard to date here. Some actually moved as a result. Sorry.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 9:25 am

I would have to agree with both Strong Eagle and Gadsden Flag. Both are very accurate. Without knowing anything about the OP, the dating scene for Caucasian Females who have like minded preferences will find that the local scene is rather barren. That said, I know of a few who have met their caucasian spouses here and subsequently married. It's just more difficult (not impossible) that's all. However, this is not relevant as this is not what the poster was asking about I don't believe....... :wink:

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aletheia

Views on Singapore

Post by aletheia » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 5:51 pm

Thank you for your valuable opinions , indeed my question was generic l, I am afraid that the dating scene is hard everywhere , so it is not an issue ;-)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Views on Singapore

Post by ksl » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 6:05 pm

aletheia wrote:Thank you for your valuable opinions , indeed my question was generic l, I am afraid that the dating scene is hard everywhere , so it is not an issue ;-)
So true Aletheia, let your hair down and go for it! :lol: There are lots of attractive Asian men here, So why not!

Many western women are afraid of something new, or afraid of the chit chat, behind their backs.

You will be surprised how more tolerent Asian families are compared to our western counterparts.

You'll have a good time here I'm sure, providing you mix well.

aletheia

Views on Singapore

Post by aletheia » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 6:24 pm

It sounds good to me !!

Harsha
Regular
Regular

Post by Harsha » Thu, 19 Oct 2006 3:58 pm

This message has been deleted by the user.