Singapore Expats

My Visit to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
pantman

My Visit to Singapore

Post by pantman » Tue, 10 Oct 2006 7:06 am

I was in Singapore a couple of week's ago for a first time visit and was pleasantly suprised by the friendly reception I received by the locals wherever I went. As an American visiting foreign countries sometimes the reception given is not always pleasant. The country is awesome in its tropical splendor and even the humidity did not bother me that much. The variety of places to shop was incrediable and the selection of resturants and bars was fantastic..My experience at the Longs bar in the Raffels Hotel and the Ice Cold Beer bar was outstanding. I met some great people and hope to make it back to this paradise in the near future.
Dave

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Tue, 10 Oct 2006 9:56 am

Hello Pantman,

It's always refreshing to hear something positive for a change as opposed to a litany of complaints and rants that permeate some forum boards.
The truth is sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and I'm guilty of it myself occasionally. :wink:

I'm thrilled that you had a good visit and are considering coming back.

Cheers and Welcome to the board!
One man's meat is another's poison.

vjsimon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vjsimon » Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:46 pm

Global Citizen wrote:Hello Pantman,

It's always refreshing to hear something positive for a change as opposed to a litany of complaints and rants that permeate some forum boards.
The truth is sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and I'm guilty of it myself occasionally. :wink:

I'm thrilled that you had a good visit and are considering coming back.

Cheers and Welcome to the board!
I totally agree with what you say GC. :)

pantman

My Visit to Singapore

Post by pantman » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 7:35 am

Thanks Global Citizen and VJSimon for your positive responses to my recent visit. I think that even in America we take our country for granted and sometimes it takes someone who sees the country with a fresh perspective to appreciate what we have. Singapore is much like San Francisco in that we have a rich diversity of cultures who can coexist without hatred towards one another.
Dave

Abby113

Post by Abby113 » Thu, 02 Nov 2006 10:17 am

My bet is that many likes to bond with people of their own community....so there isn't many chances where they meet natives..thus the negative impression....
But its great to hear nice things from a tourist!
How's Frisco doing? Haven't been back there in a while
Independance!!!

gordie

My visit to Singapore

Post by gordie » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:51 pm

Since Im gonna be coming to Singapore for work, I dont want it to be like my country but something very different. If it was the same I wouldnt want to come. To me, I want it to be exotic