Singapore Expats

Norton Anti Virus

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Sun, 20 Aug 2006 3:22 pm

Its a branded one.Aer desktop...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 20 Aug 2006 3:30 pm

Bremen, Chixchix,
I just remembered I had the same thing happen on an older computer; it may be the video card has become unseated. Somebody needs to take a look inside - make sure it is somebody who knows what they are doing though because you can do irreversible damage (Bremen knows what I mean).

Plavt.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Sun, 20 Aug 2006 5:11 pm

Um, isn't two short beep also can happen to faulty memory card? Mine was... beeping twice and then it didn't even go for windows, just cursor blinking. Opened up the thing, tried to play around with memories, and then was ok...

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Sun, 20 Aug 2006 5:24 pm

chixchix, If you're not comfortable with fiddling with the internals of your PC, I suggest you call Acer and see if they can help you. You may need to bring it to the Acer service center.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Sun, 20 Aug 2006 8:01 pm

Yeah i think I will do that.You know its so scary, I keep closing the pop ups, and they keep appearing!!!

likepeas

Post by likepeas » Sun, 03 Sep 2006 10:02 am

these are some very useful programs

www.avast.com
http://www.eset.com/

ewiz

Post by ewiz » Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:49 am

If u want Norton and dont want to pay or pay less you have the following options.

1. use google pack. it comes with FREE NORTON ANTIVIRUS (6 month subscribtion) -- I use this one.. highly recommended
http://pack.google.com/

2. use OEM version of NORTON .. costs 23 sgd for one year subsribtion. but u need to buy some hardware for getting OEM version. go to SIM LIM SQUARE buy some 2$ cable or something .. u might get an OEM version.

3. use student version ..costs 29sgd. ofcourse u need to give a student card for this.

hope it helps.
eWiz :D

Benzene

Post by Benzene » Tue, 12 Sep 2006 7:51 pm

My choice for you is Panda Platinum Internet Security. It comes with antivirus, antispyware, firewall protection against hackers, etc. Most importantly it everyday update by itself for the latest virus signature file data without interrupting your work. This guy is all you need for today's security protection! It is afforable; the price is $40+, can buy at any Challenger store. I prefer you to use this Panda than Norton. Trust me, you won't regret!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 7:10 pm

The beeps are your motherboard bios ( basic input output system) telling you there's something wrong. It could be anything from memory , hardrives etc etc .
Do a google seach for motherboard beeps and your mother board vendor.

Only other thing is to remove addons ( vid card, sound card ( any PCI isa cards installed) dvd/cd player, hard disk, floppy disk, memory) one by one till the beeps at boot stop!

If you're not happy doin this then you'll need to take it for repair.

Good luck