Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 6:33 am

I suggest to you that you continue with what you are doing in polytechnic. You will have a better chance having a diploma from a polytechnic than from a private institution if you choose to join SIA. Besides, in future when you have decided to discontinue your flying profession, you can always fall back on your polytechnic diploma which is more recognisable in Singapore. Think again, if you choose to join the Sass Atlantic programme, you will have to work for 5 days and go to school for 2 days in a week. You will be doing this for 2 years. If you don't mind sacrificing your time for the diploma and experience, there's no harm in going ahead. Take things into consideration and plan yourself. Only you have a final say in your path of life.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

cutiechar

Post by cutiechar » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:14 am

Hey all

I got in, cleared the mgt and tea party..its was indeed ver nervous coz the interviewers seems to be veri tough..

haha.good luck to those who are going for their final interview, stay smiley!!

cheers

melleong

Post by melleong » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 2:18 pm

cutiechar wrote:Hey all

I got in, cleared the mgt and tea party..its was indeed ver nervous coz the interviewers seems to be veri tough..

haha.good luck to those who are going for their final interview, stay smiley!!

cheers
Hey cutiechar....
I'm goin for my mgt round and tea session next wed....nervous like hell, any advice? Pls help....pleaseeee...............!!!!

zappyboi

inamorato

Post by inamorato » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 2:37 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:I suggest to you that you continue with what you are doing in polytechnic. You will have a better chance having a diploma from a polytechnic than from a private institution if you choose to join SIA. Besides, in future when you have decided to discontinue your flying profession, you can always fall back on your polytechnic diploma which is more recognisable in Singapore. Think again, if you choose to join the Sass Atlantic programme, you will have to work for 5 days and go to school for 2 days in a week. You will be doing this for 2 years. If you don't mind sacrificing your time for the diploma and experience, there's no harm in going ahead. Take things into consideration and plan yourself. Only you have a final say in your path of life.
Thanks so much for your advice. I shall reconsider. :D

Thanks & Regards.

niennaanarion
Regular
Regular

Post by niennaanarion » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 5:15 pm

shouldve posted here..

i got in, not officialy yet, i have med check up on tuesday. hope everything goes right, if it got accepted then i officialy get the job. wish me luck.

o yea.. btw these are the questions they asked me on the final interview:
1. what do you know about cabin crew job
2. what would be the greatest obstacle if you get the job
3. how do you handle passangers
4. tell me about yourself and your family
5. what is your job and how do i like it and stuff
6. how serious you are to be a cabin crew.
7. why do you want to be a cabin crew
8. i forget the rest but it depends on what answers you have given them

basically to really know if you really know what you are getting yourself into, to know that you are really interested in the job and really trying to find out about the job, dont forget to read things about customer service.

my friends got asked:
1. how do you handle Man as passangers
2. what is your weakness (try to give them a negative answer about yourself that wouldnt backfire at you and be responsible for it, you have to know what to answer if they ask you about your weakness like say maybe how do you handle your weakness and maybe how it would affect the job)
those stuff.. and do your homework, read about SIA they will ask that to some people, see how much you know the company, it reflects how much you want the job.

from 400 people that got shortlisted, 58 people got to the final interview and they divided 58 people to 2 days, 29 person each, the first day 17 applicants got accepted from final interview and i heard they eliminate one person on the tea party because she was too quite and didnt interact that much. on the 2nd day (my day) 18 got through, and one of us (she was on my batch) got sent home because she doesnt have a full degree which is a bachelor degree, her degree is D3 so she has to extend another 1 year to complete her bachelor degree. the thing is they write it university graduate on the requirements, she did graduate from university.

itsss toooo baddd you know, going all the way through to getting the job and you only have to do the med check up but you cant get it because you dont have a full degree. i feel soooo sorry for her =(
the thing is if she got shorlisted means that singapore airlines have reviewed her resume thats why she got called, shouldnt have called her in the first place if she doesnt fit the requirements, you know what i mean. and i think they should have appologized to her because its not her fault. she felt terrible when i msgd her, she really wanted the job. well we all do. maybe they dont really check the resumes at fisrt, they just check the pictures???

hope this infos help you guys..!!!
A dream is real only when you try to reach it. Eventho you fail in the process, its a start and you'll get better everytime. I Believe that.

A Dreamer

Felma Panjaitan

finicky

Post by finicky » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 7:48 pm

congrats! niennaanarion! good luck in ur new career!! anyway wat is D3? do you have a degree too?

babymoon21

Post by babymoon21 » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 9:18 pm

Tahniah niennaanarion!!! and thank you for sharing the info u have with us. this is really useful and hope I will get thru tml's KL recruiment campaign...

Lastly, wishing all the best to whom may attend tml's interview in KL with me...Good luck guys....espeacially Tatiana....be obtimistic gal!!! :D

koko77
Regular
Regular

Post by koko77 » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:52 am

Congrats to those who got thru the mgmt. And my advice to those who are going for their mgmt interview. Maintain a very good poise and speak with confidence and intellectually. You get what I mean? They do asked very simple question, sometimes they would even asked question without a model answer. And what they expect is the way and ur flexibility in answering the question or doing that particular thing.

They might ask a very general questions, like what they asked me during mgmt interview in July. They want me to tell them abt my family, and a case of bad customer experience. It can be a very mundane session but on the other hand it can be quite a casual talk. It all depends on you. DO not fidget, answer with confident, but not too overbearing.

Before you attend the mgmt interview, look into the mirror and practise ur smile. Bcos' sometimes people tend to smile very unnaturally and it looks fake. You have to have a very standardized and warm like of smile. Practise it and make use of it. They want people with the million-dollar smile, not fake smile.

During the tea party, u're asked to stand in a circle and ask questions. One of the interviewers will answer to ur doubts, another one will be the 'silent killer' who will notice ur body language and poise. REMEMBER to maintain a very nice and smiley neutral expression. Bcos' you have to look good in the uniform with a generally good neutral expression even when u're not talking and also even if u're freaking pissed.

Don't be amazed if any of ur friends was eliminated after the tea party. Cos' my fren was sent home packing after our tea party. There were 13 gers who attended the mgmt interview. In the end only 6 of us were selected.

Anyway, good luck..

cheers.

KiNKyNess

May i ask?

Post by KiNKyNess » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 5:05 pm

I know this have been asked before. But can anyone be kind enough to tell me what goes on the second day? the water confidence test......will they be checking on your skin again? any interview?

also, say if they gave you a duration of time before the management interview based on the noticed that you have given them....does that mean i might have to quit my job? i mean, what if i do not get through my final interview? or do i still have time to quit my job right after the final interview if i passed it? or do i have to be available on the spot?

thanks for the advice!!

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calvink » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 8:15 pm

oh well... i just dont understand sometimes on why they choose those without a good english background and eliminate those who are confident and able to express yourself...

what are they looking for....hmmm confused me...lol

babymoon21

Post by babymoon21 » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:56 pm

They are looking for someone who wear spec... :-| without any professional looks, very innocent people, someone that they can easily brain wash... :???:

:cool: Sorry for being so sarcastic here... but you will also get frustrated when you were doing better than those who got selected but u were kicked out!!! OUT!!! :mad:

I thought that happened to me only, but as far as I know, everybody has the same thoughts as mine, the KL recruitment was RIDICULUS...serious... :x

For those who got this experience same like me, I think we are really discouraged to go for SIA already... :twisted: sigh...will see what happen next...

Guys, I think we should fly down to Sg just to attend their next recruiment, no hope attending KL one... coz it's just...WEIRD

lindyhoppe
Regular
Regular

Post by lindyhoppe » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:15 pm

Hi babymoon21,

I'm sorry to read about your unhappiness with the KL interview. If you're super serious to work with SIA, you would still try again right? May I suggest that "doing better" or worse is really subjective and encompasses many factors. One could say that she was more confident when she spoke, or gave a better answer, or dressed more formally and thus respectfully and so on, but this very candidate could fail compared to another one who seemed to give a short answer and casually dressed because of these very reasons. A close friend whose dad is in the interview panel told me that many graduates are rejected, because there's a higher chance they are less willing to serve, and could quit anytime they like with the mentality "I have a degree I can quit if I'm not happy". Personally, I find it most difficult to balance confidence with humility. I'm sure you would get through if you possess the requirements, provided you are also able to show them you've got it. So spend some time to think through and find out how. For the minority who get through with no real substance, they're probably A*-class actors. The former should be easier and the way to go by.
babymoon21 wrote:but you will also get frustrated when you were doing better than those who got selected but u were kicked out!!! OUT!!! :mad:

I thought that happened to me only, but as far as I know, everybody has the same thoughts as mine, the KL recruitment was RIDICULUS...serious... :x

koko77
Regular
Regular

Post by koko77 » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:38 pm

Don't be disheartened for those who are rejected. There's always another time. Even if ur rejected this time, it is a very good chance for you to prepare urself for the next intake. Make use of this period to prepare urself, know what to say and how to present urself. Reflect on ur 'flaws' and make good of it. In actual fact, there could be practically nothing wrong with you. Just that you have yet to fit into their requirement they're looking for in a FS/FSs.

It is very nerve wrecking where ocean of guys and girls are dying for this job and you have to excel intellectually, eloquency and verbally. In my personaly opinion, they're not looking for just looks. I guess, what matter most to them is tat they want people who are service-minded, calm and responsible. Which is very crucial in the service. And also the SQ premier service. Since this is what they looked for, den find out how would you make that realised that you have such factors? You get what I mean?

It is pretty obvious that, they want people who are warm and provide good hospitality service. Althou you cannot provide such service to them. But the way you speak and present urself tells. right?

Ask urself if you want this badly. If you want, you will know what to do. Dont just go for the interview blindly and hoping that lady luck is smiling at you today. Do ur homework., read, practise ur speech, smile etc etc. The luck part is beyond ctrl, but do ur best. I believe that you will get what you want.

Persistancy takes you as far as you want.

Good luck people..

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

ohh

Post by calvink » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:39 pm

ohh..if thats the case, whats the point of having a minimum requirement diploma/degree as clearly stated as the pre-requisites

I think it is not really good to generalized fresh grad that they are unwilling to serve compare to those who are less-educated i would say... unless SIA can do something about it... if they really have time to assess each individually carefully, i would say chances are there... not saying that they are not professional but i respect their decision....

There are others out there who have great passion being a cabin crew... i would try again though.. even though i fail.. i still walk away with a smile...lol :P try again....never give up la...im so young...lol :P

babymoon21

Post by babymoon21 » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:55 pm

I can take failure as I have failed twice in Emirates and once in Qatar...I learnec from it and I respect with the recruiters's decisions...I have no any complaints on the previous experience bcoz those who were selected really did better than me... and I found out what's my weaknesses and trying to improve. Therefore, I was offered by AirAsia. However, I still wanna give a try in SIA...

As for today's interview, sorry to say that I really do not respect the decisions...that's y I am getting so dishearted... :cry:

Anyway, I have a backup plan which is to join AirAsia. However, for those who went off with disappointment after today's interview, please be prepared for next interview. I can sense that you posses the qualification to be a FS/FSS. Please show me that you are the one who can work very well as a FS/FSS...and tell today's recruiters that: It is your lose for not choosing me today!!! :lol: