Singapore Expats

what do you look for when chosing a maid?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
dove

what do you look for when chosing a maid?

Post by dove » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 3:41 pm

Hi, this is the first time I am going to look for a maid, so I need to find out more from people who had had maid.what are the things I need to prepare, what the dos and donts when employing a maid.
Any sharing from people about having maid will be great. :)

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 4:12 pm

Dove, that avatar is the girl from FFVIII right? :D
Sorry.... just having a nostalgic moment!

shuriken
Regular
Regular

Post by shuriken » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 4:44 pm

first, she should be gorgeous!! :devil:
-----------------------------------
Seriously, maids over 35 will give
you that reliability and security.
filipino maids can understand
and speak english quite well.
they're great with kids too.

sunnyweather

Post by sunnyweather » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 8:13 pm

Big breasts... :D

dove

Post by dove » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 9:18 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:Dove, that avatar is the girl from FFVIII right? :D
Sorry.... just having a nostalgic moment!
yes.

dove

Post by dove » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 9:20 pm

what ? :???: looking for beauty queen?? :?

No Borders
Regular
Regular

Post by No Borders » Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:49 am

Been here less than 6 months and had 2 maids already... it's a headache!

I think you'll be looking for the usual: honest, hard working, clean, willingness to learn, nice/ pleasant personality, etc.

If possible not only interview, but hmmm.... maybe try their cooking?
(That is if you're going to ask them to cook.... Got one who said she can cook, but her 'can cook' is not what we're used to. It was soggy, over cooked veggie. In the end I decided to do the cooking myself.)

Try to talk to previous employer, get the real juice out. Good and bad. Her word is not enough.
Best is to find someone who used to work for someone you know (with good reference of course).

During interview ask for details. And from the beginning tell her what you expect and rules are.

Spend a lot (and I mean a lot) of time guiding, and teaching them during their first few weeks.

What else? Maybe others will add their own opinion and experience.

dove

Post by dove » Wed, 30 Aug 2006 2:42 pm

No Borders wrote:Been here less than 6 months and had 2 maids already... it's a headache!

I think you'll be looking for the usual: honest, hard working, clean, willingness to learn, nice/ pleasant personality, etc.

(That is if you're going to ask them to cook.... Got one who said she can cook, but her 'can cook' is not what we're used to. It was soggy, over cooked veggie. In the end I decided to do the cooking myself.)

Try to talk to previous employer, get the real juice out. Good and bad. Her word is not enough.
Best is to find someone who used to work for someone you know (with good reference of course).

During interview ask for details. And from the beginning tell her what you expect and rules are.

Spend a lot (and I mean a lot) of time guiding, and teaching them during their first few weeks.

thanks a lot, will keep all this in mind. really helpful advices. :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:22 am

dove wrote:
No Borders wrote:Been here less than 6 months and had 2 maids already... it's a headache!

thanks a lot, will keep all this in mind. really helpful advices. :)

Not too attractive my dear, take it from me, men are quite weak at the knees, when they see something beautiful, unless you don't mind sharing that is!

There is a saying" Never lead us to temptation" or something like that, ringing in my head, So I always avoid temptation, or should i say torture

newhere2

Post by newhere2 » Mon, 04 Sep 2006 7:54 pm

Just be honest and realistic in your expectations. Ideally look for someone who is tranferring from another family and can provide references. Ask her what you need to know..does she cook, shop, iron etc. It's about comprimise - if she is excellent with the children it's not so important that she can do everything else perfectly. I find if you treat them as part of your family then they respond by treating you with respect too.

gordie

Maids

Post by gordie » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 1:02 pm

Crikey! Anyone would think you guys are talking about cattle when discussing employing a maid! Besides the inappropriated sexist comments, (Why is it Ok to have an attractive work colleague but not a maid? Cant men control themselves)

Some things you have all forgotten to add when choosing a maid

1)Pay her a decent salary

2) Dont withhold her passport

3) Respect her religion

4) Remember, she has a life and family outside of her job with you so that she has the dignity to have this connection

5) Make sure she has some time off where it is just for her and she has the right to leave the house etc.

6) Respect her and treat her well and she will do her job well

I lived in malaysia and saw terrible maid abuse on a daily scale

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Maids

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 2:13 pm

The following is all: Image
gordie wrote:Crikey! Anyone would think you guys are talking about cattle when discussing employing a maid! Besides the inappropriated sexist comments, (Why is it Ok to have an attractive work colleague but not a maid? Cant men control themselves)

Some things you have all forgotten to add when choosing a maid

1)Pay her a decent salary This is Singapore - please remember this!

2) Dont withhold her passport This is Singapore - please remember this!

3) Respect her religion This is Singapore - please remember this!

4) Remember, she has a life and family outside of her job with you so that she has the dignity to have this connection This is Singapore - please remember this!

5) Make sure she has some time off where it is just for her and she has the right to leave the house etc. This is Singapore - please remember this!

6) Respect her and treat her well and she will do her job well This is Singapore - please remember this!

I lived in malaysia and saw terrible maid abuse on a daily scale This is Singapore - please remember this!
Why does one buy a certain colour & make of car? Because if you have to pay for it, look at it everyday you want it to be at least pleasant looking. Any car will get you from A to B. So if you have to see your maid everyday morning & night wouldn't the same apply? You're paying remember...... :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gordie

Maids

Post by gordie » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 6:53 am

Crikey!

Your response to my statements with:

"THIS IS SINGAPORE PLEASE REMEMBER THIS", is really arrogant of you. NO my friend, it is HUMAN RIGHT ISSUE!!!

Then you go on to compare buying a car to employing a maid. How very sad you see a maid as nothing but a piece of machinery.

If you employ a maid you should have the maturity, compassion, and commonsense to know she is a human being.

And as for your "THIS IS SINGAPORE PLEASE REMEMBER THIS" next to my comment about religion. Well, I believe in Singapore there are laws to protect people's right to practice their religion whatever it may be, regardless of whether they are maids or not.

Lets hope you treat your maid with respect.
cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Maids

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 9:37 am

gordie wrote:Crikey!

Your response to my statements with:

"THIS IS SINGAPORE PLEASE REMEMBER THIS", is really arrogant of you. NO my friend, it is HUMAN RIGHT ISSUE!!!

Then you go on to compare buying a car to employing a maid. How very sad you see a maid as nothing but a piece of machinery.

If you employ a maid you should have the maturity, compassion, and commonsense to know she is a human being.

And as for your "THIS IS SINGAPORE PLEASE REMEMBER THIS" next to my comment about religion. Well, I believe in Singapore there are laws to protect people's right to practice their religion whatever it may be, regardless of whether they are maids or not.

Lets hope you treat your maid with respect.
cheers
:???: ](*,) Do you have any idea what tongue-in-cheek means? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gordie

maids

Post by gordie » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:58 am

:-| No Lah, I dont see it in humourous ways. Someone has to give maids a voice and by just making jokes about it also displays the level of worth they have. :D Crikey!