Singapore Expats

I Am Proud To Be A Stewardess

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 8:06 pm

Merliongirl26,

Trudy Baker and Jones Rachel although many cabin crew seem unimpressed, have only read a couple of pages myself.

Plavt.

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:59 pm

Ive been trying to search experienced FA books in the Library but they are all not available in the library.
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:10 pm

Shreked wrote:Ive been trying to search experienced FA books in the Library but they are all not available in the library.
go to merliongirls post, and below it are a few photos of book titles!
"City of Ang3Ls"

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:20 am

Oh thanks! I guess i misread that post. Thanks merliongirl. I want to have a better understanding of FA job scope. =)
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

gliny
Regular
Regular

Post by gliny » Sat, 26 Aug 2006 9:19 am

i agree with what tuesday had said.
"Whatever we want in life,is what we make of it."

Pple who don't love their job criticize about their careers. If you can't change yourself, you'll be left behind. Condemming your own job only makes you bored of it over time.

p.s. Toygirl, i'm sorry that you have many bad encounters whilst in your career. but these are inevitable. It doesn't matter if i would get promoted in the MX schemes down the road if i would to return. When you leave, you leave a place bringing along experience from there. That is invaluable. Never look back when you intended on something. Make full uses of every different exprience gain ever since you step into the working society. I've gain experience from banking and civil service culture, and i had no resentment at all. For me, life is all abt gaining knowledge and experience. Be it being a cabin crew. Just take it as i loved being multitasked alright? :) :wink:

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Sat, 26 Aug 2006 5:01 pm

Gliny - Really you're new to the industry :) and from what I can tell, you're probably in the CSO or MSO scheme at MFA. So it's logical considering the salary earned in the CSO/MSO scheme isn't close to what SIA generally pays, it's just also worth sharing that ministries do not give promotions based on your cabin crew experience on the MX scheme - at least from what I understand if you choose to return. Have fun in your career, you're just starting out. 8-)

Condemning the job? - Gosh, kinda lost for words there! Unless you think it's la-la land with "The Sound of Music" blasting in the plane - Sorry, couldn't resist, then you'll be in for a shock. Some of us here have already given a balanced view point - even someone here was in HR of an airline to actually confirm it.

P.S. - Merliongirl - Ask your friend to buy my book once I publish eh! :lol: :lol:

Grapefruit

Post by Grapefruit » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice... Am sure all's useful for aspiring FAs... 3 more questions:

1) Do you have time to spend with the family with all the flying?
2) Do you really get to TRAVEL and SEE the world? Is there time?
3) Is 26 considered to be too old to be a FA?

Thanks to all current and ex cabin crew for dishing out valuable advice... Will be even better if you ladies can rope in other FAs from various airlines to give MORE advice... Hahaha... So greedy but think will be damn useful cos' it's really a difficult decision to make for some of us.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 7:37 pm

Answers :

Depending on the airline and the patterns - you just have to plan accordingly. Like birthdays, you can try to swap flights. You still are at home but you have mixture of short flights and long flights. Sometimes your flight may be early or really late. Your family has to be accomodating to this.

26 is not old actually. You can keep trying. Unfortunately with Asian airlines, there are age setbacks - but if you look youthful - I know some 33 year olds who look 21 - Don't ask me how! But don't put all your eggs in one basket. I remember one recruiter once told this sentence "You know you're not flight attendant material if you are here for the 13th or 14th time" - If you fall into this category, continue your real job :)

See the world? - Most of the time you're exhausted. You do sight-see but you will get bored after a while, do some shopping, head back to the hotel, pack and get ready for the next flight.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 8:17 pm

To enlarge on Toygirl's reply; even if you do go sight-seeing you don't really get to see the countries you are in. I can think of plenty of places just here in the UK that you most likely have never heard of or even if you have, simply won't have time to visit them.

Most flight attendants just visit well know tourists spots, nothing wrong with that but in some ways in makes you a glorified tourist of a sort. Do remember though that coming from a hot country such as Singapore you will hate the climate here in winter and elsewhere. The temperatures in some coastal regions have been recorded at 12 degrees which of course is below freezing and sometimes the wind-chill factor can make a day seem like -40 degrees. Hardly surprising that many young ladies spend all there lay-over in their hotel room.

merliongal26
Regular
Regular

Post by merliongal26 » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 9:50 pm

I heard SQ takes in 28 y/o girls without any experience, so there's always hope! U can always try airlines like BA, Emirates, Qatar etc. The max age is 35 for new crew.

Toygirl> I'll definitely let my friend know if you do write one! =p Maybe you could give me an autographed copy? hehe...

Nikki1166

Post by Nikki1166 » Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:15 pm

toygirl wrote:Okay, going to be brief on this part :)

Job security - Depending on the airline you work in - a passenger complaint may or may not result in dismissal - Complaints are thoroughly investigated and you will be called to the office to get statements recorded. If you are in the wrong, you will have a permanent mark in your file and you can kiss any promotion goodbye. Contracts make it easy for dismissal as well.

Good hotels - Depends, some hotels suck and lots of silly ghost stories of haunted hotel rooms.

pronounication - your english has to be excellent. some very very sarcastic customers will make fun if you mispronounce words and giggle.

Passenger emergencies - Anxiety attacks, child birth, shock, burns, heart attack, cuts, sprains, terrorists on board, abusive passengers (most airlines I know have zero tolerance nowadays, but I know some Asian airlines due to "hospitality" issues still try to manage it and try to accede to requests.

Intoxicated passengers - Pax who want alcohol when they are drunk, how you decline politely, or what I normally do (adulterate drinks so content is lower) - some drunk pax can be a pain because they end up pulling people or some will stand up and talk rubbish.

you also have to learn security procedures - i know how to handcuff and restrain a passenger - thank god i did additional training on that and fighting fires in case it happens.

Generally, how are the stewards in SIA?
Are there more gays than hunks?
I've heard some stewards are really nice but some are buayas, calling your room in tha middle of the night trying to get fresh.
Are these allegations true or just rumours.
Have you personally encounter before?
you need to know your wines well, what goes with what, how to present it - all gracefully.

some passengers may touch you weirdly - it is not molest, it is just they don't know how to get your attention. i got pinched once! funny right! - but true!

i hate it when passengers think i am a biohazard, one moron clipped his toenails and fingernails and gave me his nails together with this phlegm in an plastic cup - i wanted to choke him but i smiled and continued.

passengers fainting - some are diabetic, some have emergency MEDIK AWAS card on them. some may have needles for insulin and dunno how to dispose of them and leave them lying.

some pax could smell bad - oh yeah -reaaaally bad but you still gotta go up to them and just say "Mr Brown, for today's menu, we have a choice of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, what would you like to have?" and smile all while containing your laughter at his accent or whatever.

Passengers missing connections and you get yelled at - I usually pass them to the ground staff - I try to pacify them on board before "dumping" them to ground staff.

Rushing while trying to complete a service. Getting scalded, getting cuts, accidentally forgetting to arm the door! - Stuff like that.

Sexually aroused predator on board - Diplomatically refusing advances - okay, if he's hot it's ok - NOT! :p

oh yeah - you'll get cheapstakes who want "free" upgrade to first or biz class and make a hoo-ha over the food sometimes - i get the "i want whatever first class is having" - you also get unusual situations - like a passenger praying on board loudly and trying to be culturally sensitive as well.

You also have to deal with the "complaint-24/7" pax - they basically come prepared and want a lot of freebies - can i have more of these and these... and keep buzzing you.

Unaccompanied minors who run off and having to keep an eye on them - some kids can really make you go nuts - :)

Mileage problems - Try best to help and then refer to ground staff.

Accounting of liquor, sometimes you make errors and you can have problems.

public relations - they may ask you questions on the destination, what to do there, trying to have conversation, you also have to small talk with them as well - i'm good at that! - you get lots of name cards as well. basically smile and laugh when they say silly things pretending you enjoy their conversation! - "mr brown, how are you today?, oh i see you're going for business?" - blah blah blah "i'm samatha and how's everything so far" - some men will look at you and ................................. their wives go !@#$#%$%@##

Passengers who are new to flying. Babies who keep crying. Children who keep running around. people who want to catch photos with you.

Trying to guide newbies who are too enthusiastic but slow down the service during a quick flight. safety issues - seating assignments - like if someone is too young to sit in a exit row, or how would you deal with passengers who are abusive - personally i have zero tolerance - first time, i say the reason and how i can help them, second time, i smile and explain - third time i signal to chief who informs first officer or captain who will make decision whether to offload passenger and they get arrested once we land or we divert to another destination if he's a threat.

Foreign passengers who have communication difficulty. i usually pull out the dishes and show to them - sometimes i even draw "CHICKEN" and "BEEF" once - don't ask me what happen. Medical cases on board - Pax died on board - Once occured to me.

dirty lavatory - depends on the airline - for some airlines, if it too filthy, we lock the lavatory and redirect to other lavatories, otherwise, get ready to clean!

oh yeah - catering screw ups - meals missing or special meals not on board - you get passengers who will freak you upside down.

racist passengers - yeah you do get that. some may think they are high class so you gotta just smile and try to "win" them over.

There's so many situations? It's never the same........ NEVER! but i like the customer contact. it's fun - some people will view you like you're low class servants - some nationalities actually view service jobs lowly at times.

at the end of the flight, it's not over, you gotta check the plane, do some more clearing up.

positives - compliments and connections - you never know the passenger may be some CEO, wow-ed by your service and offer you a job!, job satisfaction of doing a job-well done. passengers who honestly appreciative and don't view you like you're trash.

ok, been writing too much! :P - i feel like i should write one of the "I WAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT BOOK" and earn cash! Hahahahahahahah :P :D

Nikki1166

Post by Nikki1166 » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 1:51 am

merliongal26 wrote:
Plavt wrote:
merliongal26 wrote:Hah..i think there are already many books on that subject! My friend collects them..think she has about 10 now!
Care to list them here? They may be of use for those who have a serious interest in being cabin crew. I think many have already heard of 'Coffee Tea or Me' and aren't impressed for whatever reasons.

Thanks for any help.

Plavt.

Who wrote "Coffee tea or me"? I've never heard of it
Actually, being a SIA girl is a stepping stone to join TCS for those who are comfortable in front of the camera.
Actresses & actors like Thomas Ang, Rayson Tan Tai Ming, Sharon Au, Kym Ng, Lisa Ang(Channel Newa Asia host), Daryl David, Jeannette Aw & Terence Cao were all ex SIA attendants before.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:24 am

Thanks for making me giggle recalling my group and I joking about this topic. Yup, we used to joke that STC is a stepping stone to TCS (at that time) and we would all become stars! - LOL - But come on, you think everyone's going to be a star? :shock: :shock:

Hehehehe - Thanks for me making me giggle again! :)

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:01 pm

Well,some of the silkair malay stewardesses are Suria stars too. Flying and acting at the same time.
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:20 pm

Well, yeah - How many cabin crew does SQ have? - How many stars are there on TV who are ex-SQ. Hmmm..... Res ipsa loquitur!

If you are going in to SQ or whatever airline for that matter thinking that you're going to become a star as your future? - Oh my gosh! - Now that's an answer that will make any recruitment officer chuckle - Trust me, that's original!

Yes - I remember a Suria girl trying out for an Emirates interview before - She didn't make it.

So what do you do after being a stewardess
I'm going to be a star!!

Yes, some do become, but if you think it's something written in stone - You're sorely mistaken! :)

Good luck!

Return to “Airline Careers”