Singapore Expats

IPL or other laser treatments for Dark circles removal

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
roxygerrr

IPL or other laser treatments for Dark circles removal

Post by roxygerrr » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:23 am

Hi , is there anyone who have tried IPL or laser treatments for dark circles removal? I've checked out several professionals regarding this and found out that the price is between 500-1000 for each time and have to go for at least 5 times... It's expensive and i don't know if it's completely safe. Wonder if anyone has gone thru before? Anyone has comments bout it? Thanks.

pandagirl

Post by pandagirl » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 2:24 pm

Coincidentally I was seeking the same treatment too. In fact I just saw a cosmetic surgeon yesterday regarding this. Like you said we would have to go through a series of treatments with each one costing hundreds of dollars. There would also be pain and redness after the procedure.

Ultimately I think that when it comes to our eyes, I wouldn't want an invasive operation done. The doctor may be highly skilled and experienced, but accidents only take a second to happen. I don't want to be blind as a result. I would rather look like a panda.

roxygerrr

Post by roxygerrr » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 2:51 pm

Hi pandagirl, nice to see you reply. I actually attn. to you in another plastic surgery thread, but instead you reply here. :D

Anyway, may I know who is the cosmetic surgeon that you've seen? Care to share with me e details? I trust that professional surgeons won't make us blind... the only concern is that when i asked one of the PS, he told me it might not be permanent, the dark circles might recurr after some time. And also the nurse from MH told me i've to always go for periodical treatments every 1-2 months. Sigh.. which means i always have to spend alot... Now very confused. :(

jovinliu
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jovinliu » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 3:22 pm

In some minor cases (unless your's looks so bad as if you had not been sleeping for the past 1 year or so!), chemical peel will help. Didn't the doctor suggest chemical peel?

/Jovin
Hmmm... what should I do next? Cheekbone reduction maybe?

roxygerrr

Post by roxygerrr » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 3:38 pm

hey dear jovin!! i asked you some questions in the plastic surgery thread! I wanna know if you did you rhino + alar-reduction by Dr Hsu in Taiwan.. hehe then you reply here too. :shock:

thanks for suggestion.. most of the doctors suggested IPL, my case is hereditary. sleeping 12 hours a day wouldn't do me any good at all :(

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Post by mayaray » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 5:44 pm

I have done IPL several times. It seems to improve dark circles. But strangely I've never had the problem of stinging like rubberband or redness post treatment. Since the IPL light is absorbed by dark pigments (mine wasn't so bad), there could possibly be some stinging on some areas.

The person I go to is an experienced and certified IPL technician. She also does IPL for some clinic chains around. Her place is in Far East Shopping Centre (IPL Beauty Secrets), (note : not Far East Plaza). The basic IPL costs about 180 persession (can't remember). Advanced IPL is 200 bucks.

A best I think IPL makes one look fresher, slightly more radiant but if you're hoping to look 10 years younger you might be disappointed.

If your skin is not terrible or full of acne and blemishes you DONT have to complete a full course of treatment. 1-2 times IPL might be enough to see difference in dark circles.

roxygerrr

Post by roxygerrr » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks mayaray for providing these useful information... 180-200 per session is a lot of diff from 400-600 per IPL with a cosmetic surgeon. Can i ask you where are you doing it? May i email you? Sorry for the trouble, but i hope to know more details... pretty please.. :oops:

Thanks sweetie.

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Post by mayaray » Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:38 am

HI Roxy,

Guess what I just went for IPL on Wednesday at IPL beauty secret (like I mentioned it is in Far East SHopping Centre, 3rd floor, her hp is 93821247). Looks like she has changed her IPL machine to a higher grade one and gosh- this time the machine is more powerful and it actually stings like rubberband snap! In the past it never did sting but now it does.

If you are faint hearted or scared of a bit of pain perhaps you can ask her to apply the anaesthetic cream. For me she only used the cooling gel and it was still stinging. But I came out alive and no burns. Skin looks more taut and radiant. (but like I said-IPL is no miracles,)

Price has also increased from 200 bucks to 250 bucks if you buy package. 300 bucks without package. But Sarah allows installments and she is not pushy.

Good luck.

M

shygirl

Post by shygirl » Fri, 01 Sep 2006 1:34 pm

Hi, everyone, I had done IPL once and will do the 2nd time next week. I do it in a cosmetic clinic. 5 times per package and the total price is 2K. I do not have obvious problem for my face. Just some (totally less than 10) tiny black spots. Actually I did not see any big improvement after the 1st session.

The doctor used at least 3 different laser light. The first one feel like ‘needle raining’, the light comes together with cooling air. Like many needles pierce my skin. I only wore blue glasses, no jell. The second one is focused on the pimples. The third one need to apply jell but no glasses (of course eyes close). I feel the heat and pain.

I must say the pimples are cured very well and very fast. But I do not see any improvement about my black dots. I also see some light brawn dots on my check. I am not sure I had them before or caused by the IPL treatment. Will ask my doctor next week. Hope we share more of our experience here.

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Post by mayaray » Fri, 01 Sep 2006 3:49 pm

hi shygirl,

Where did you go for the IPL? Seems quite expensive for IPL but your procedure sounds different from most IPL i've heard. I've done two types, red light and yellow light.

M

leenaaaa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by leenaaaa » Sun, 03 Sep 2006 9:04 pm

so IPL is not only for getting rid of dark circles under the eyes, but also pigmentation on the face?

Re dark circles, I thought it is possible to get rid of it once and for all... but you will have to go under the knife right?

shygirl

Re: ..

Post by shygirl » Mon, 04 Sep 2006 8:31 am

mayaray wrote:hi shygirl,

Where did you go for the IPL? Seems quite expensive for IPL but your procedure sounds different from most IPL i've heard. I've done two types, red light and yellow light.

M
I did IPL in SUMMIT Medical Clinic. I do not know what should be the correct procedure.

dolphin

Post by dolphin » Mon, 04 Sep 2006 9:49 am

Not related to IPL but something about dark circles, not sure if it helps....

I used to have rings around my eyes that would make pandas recognize me as their own. The dark circles didn't go away regardless of how much I've slept or how fresh I felt....

However, they did go away when I increased the frequency of my exercise! So I'm guessing that for my case, it's more of a blood circulation thing?

Anyway, exercise has helped me where eyes creams did not :)

mayaray
Regular
Regular

hi

Post by mayaray » Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:14 am

Hello Shygirl-

Oh I know that clinic. I went to the Dr at Summit to get my red patch (diffuse blood vessels) zapped by laser.

I suppose for pimples problem the wavelength is different? So the light is different from the ones I got for IPL. However if it's for pigmentation or large pores or dark circles problem I usually see it's yellow or red coloured light.

Lenaa-i think the one you meant is for dark circles caused by shadows cast by eyebags. You can't get rid of eyebags via IPL either, that has to be done via surgery to remove the drooping fat.However some people just have pigmented skin under the eyes-that can be treated by IPL.

And dolphin-thanks for that good and sound reminder to us all that sometimes we don't have to undergo expensive and high tech procedures to look good. Good nutrition and exercise might just do the trick for some of us.

roxygerrr

Post by roxygerrr » Mon, 04 Sep 2006 7:13 pm

I'm so confused!!

I emailed several doctors regarding my case of dark eye circles. Most of them say it can be treated with IPL, whereas dr david loh say he don't use IPL cus IPL is only for pigmentation...

maybe i really need to find out what're the causes of my dark circles... donnoe is pigmentation or broken blood vessels or eye bags under eyes or just poor blood circulation... :(