Singapore Expats

Speaking From Experience...

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
merliongal26
Regular
Regular

Post by merliongal26 » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 7:09 pm

I agree with Toygirl. I have experience in 2 airlines. At first, I too was enthusiastic and excited, but many people dunno how tough it is. You might think u do, but u really have to go thru it to know the crap. Everyone is fake.They might act nice, but just turn around, and they badmouth u. If you are VERY lucky, u might find 1 or 2 good friends.

Anyway, I think some people are more suitable for this line than others. If you are very good in PR, can smile all the time even if you've just been criticised and scolded, super cheerful and optimistic, then maybe its the job for you. The free travel definitely doesn't make up for the crappiness of the job, in my opinion =p It is true that many of the seniors just stay in the job coz they can't get the same pay elsewhere coz of their qualifications, and sometimes they get very defensive and bitchy when they know u are a grad.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:50 pm

i agree with merliongirl on this - the ones that will be suitable are : -

1. smiley people - you can smile when someone dies (haha, i used to joke with others i could do this) or smile when someone vomits on you
2. pr very important - service from heart (lol, whether your heart is real or fake, doesn't matter!)
3. super cheerful
4. physically strong - don't expect others to help you when you having backache
5. good backs, you bend and push heavy meal carts - you can get scalded or burned
6. good juggler - i should join cirque de soile
7. ability to lie very convincing - e.g. covering up your ass when things go wrong.
8. optimistic and strong - if you aren't i give you max 6 months before you resign pay the bond and run. i know of cabincrew who did 2-3 flights and then MIA and vanish! - i am not kidding!
9. look good even when you are sick - yes, makeup can do wonders, you will learn during training
10. have a back made of steel, backstabbers are around
11. have initiative and teamwork

trust me, some people will give newbies a hard time. some can be vicious with "don't tell me you don't know that?" or "aren't you TRAINED?" if you answer back, you die. plain simple. zapping heheheeh - some will help you like "oh don't worry, here let me do it" and then go to the senior staff and gossip behind your back "this one so blur don't even know this".

lol, you see, it's an amazing career. YOU HAVE TO BE STRONG INTERNALLY. Travel perks - hehehe, I won't comment further. Try it, see it , experience it and then decide, but oops if you are with a bond-airline then good luck, unless your dad is willing to fork out $12-$13k or $5k for budget airlines to bail you out, then you just pick yourself up, down your uniform and just go to work. oh the grad thing - never ever blabber your qualification - just say O level or A level, NEVER go and like volunteer that info out - lots of people with insecurities and they may think even though you aren't doing it - that you are boasting and you're proud. Yeah silly but true

Cabin crew a: so what did you do before
cabin crew b : i was a NUS grad in political science
cabin crew a: waaaaahhh

later, cabin crew a goes around and says "this cabin crew b so hao lian, just because got degree blah blah blah blah................"

Yes, i seen it happen. I honestly can tell you from a batch of 30 during training - after the 1.5 year bond - 2 or 3 are left flying, rest all got sick, saw the world or just plain tired of it leave. i know in budget airlines, mass will go after 1 year if they can take it - pay can really make you nuts there - yup, try surviving on $710 basic and crazy patterns.

when i see new crew go like that, i just smile to myself because i know they just made others feel insecure about themselves and that's dangerous. don't be a smart aleck - whatever you did before is irrelevant, you're just a newbie and to us you're just do what you're told. we bloody don't care how qualified you are academically, or what bloody achievements you did in your previous work.

remember in short - this is a ladies career and you know how women can be - CAT FIGHTS!! - brings back scary memories. once you are "marked" - you'll know who your real friends - some will just avoid you like the plague so that their flying lives won't be affected. lots of stupid gossip really can destroy morale and affects your emotional stability at times.

sometimes you feel like you're a china doll that goes "Yes sir, Certainly sir, excellent choice sir" blah blah blah blah - nowadays in the office when i do that - my colleagues giggle like mad because it's too funny for them. yes, do expect the "brainless stewardess" label at times.

the funniest thing - masses come for interview, masses resign later! but it's always a good experience.

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:02 pm

I hope these thing wont happen to Male FAs too..... :?
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

merliongal26
Regular
Regular

Post by merliongal26 » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:41 pm

I heard the female crew are really nice to the stewards. Dunno how true that is coz my airline doesnt take in many males...I see maybe 5 stewards after flying almost a year.

Like Toygirl said, I think flying is a good experience for about 1 year. It realllly humbles you. If apologising for everything even though its not your fault, smiling when others scold you, zap u, clean up puke, go on your knees to wipe toilet floors doesnt humble you, probbaly nothing else will...hahah

I have a degree, and I didn't even say it. The senior asked me "You must be a grad right?" Then she started zapping me and saying "We are all the same here. No one will care if u are a grad . We all earn the same"

Crap... =p

siu kee

Post by siu kee » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:35 am

frankly speaking,before i'm going for the interview,i've heard tonnes of bad comments about being a stewardess.So from my past perception that it is a glam job,it now turns out to be a high class waitressing job with lotsa politics.But i still carry the enthusiam with me cos i would really like have the feeling of serving and flying.
I've worked in the hr dept for a particular airline,and yes,the turnover rate is really high,some ended up crying,some quitted mainly due to the constant scoldings from seniors and passengers.So i'm trying to make myself mentally prepared before deciding to take up the job.Sort of like banging against the wall,before i know i hurt i will be.Abit psychotic.hahaha

But i'm very curious.Wat answers do you give the interviewers when they asked why do u want to be a stewardess???I always read with interest especially for toygirl and ntyl posts.Very enriching indeed.

gliny
Regular
Regular

Post by gliny » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 8:50 am

toygirl wrote:let's put it this way, some ppl have it easier than others. there will be nice ppl - trust me, i wouldn't have been able to survive otherwise. but some can be destructive. just be careful not to step on anyone's toes. simple advice. if you step on dynamite, you'll explode :)

i'll tell you what happened to me - one of my crew was really really nice to me - turned out later, he wanted to sleep with me. you get the picture. some "nice" ones are actually arseholes.

trust me - training will be the fun part - usually most get sick after 1 year and bond time over - resignation! think of it like going to university, when you enrol you full of excitment, after you in your final year, you can't wait to get out - same feeling for some.

you'll be fine, just remember, humility goes a long way. however, i have seen innocent cases when the girl is just too quiet and they think something's wrong with you. it's a balance. plus no offence, singaporeans then to be really @!##$!@#@#@# sometimes - i think its the competitve nature perhaps.

and yes - i know of some "lucky" girls who end up marrying the first officer - "lucky" - depends on how you view it.

it's like acting really - i act with my customers, i act with my crew, i act with the pilot. i act. once i finish my flight and head to my hotel, the show is over and i become my real self =) giggle, my girls and i always laugh thinking we all can win oscar sometimes!

now you know why many of the channel 8 artistes are ex-cabin crew! hahahahaha :P
First of all, i suppose you have a grudge against the airline industry. If you are not satisfied being a FA, why switch from one airline to another? Could it be your personal problem in seeing things from a different light? For you info, everywhere whether in the goverenment sector or the private sector, there are bound to have politics. And politics level are the same except from a different perception. Maybe you are just not suited to be in the airline industry? 'Life is an act' , from the moment you're born, you act. You cry when you wanted attention. You act when you cant get something you wanner have but can't. Think positive is the word. There is no beautiful world out here, not at least in singapore. Competition is everywhere. And you mention that a crew wanted to slp with you? What makes you think so? Did he tell you that personally? Someitmes we just think too much. AND i meant, WAY too much. There are people whom are generally nice to the core. And those are the ones smtimes being criticise by the jealous ones out there. What can you say abt this? So you rather someone treat you like dirt? In the working field, everyone tries to please one another, not because they like it generally. But they have to do it in order for peace to reign. If not, disaster will just strike and there will be chaos in the company. Being an FA could have its negative side, but these blacksheeps thats gives the airline industry a bad name are just a few blacksheeps that are a minority. Why condemme everyone?

No offense to you at all. But i'm just totally disagree with your comment and the way you look at things.

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:25 am

Well, all i have to say is that there are politics and pros and cons in every working life. There are not always like 'you're in a bed of roses'.
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:33 am

gliny - Ahem, good to disagree. anyway, i am just sharing my experience with a lot of the starry eyed people here so that they know what they are getting themselves into. i am not so sure whether you're current or ex-crew, i think you're new so i won't comment. you gotta work in the industry for long and you'll realise it later what is really all about :)

For ladies, remember you're working in a 95% female environment and you probably know things can always start.

IT IS NOT A BED OF ROSES - SOME PEOPLE THINK IT IS! - I swear to god I see people who think it sooo glam!

grudge against the airline industry - heheehehhe :) no comment, i sense you're kinda defensive over this because it's either you really don't want to believe anything negative or you're just enthusiastic 101% - these are good qualities, but i am just preparing the rest who think it's going to be the most enjoyable wonderful journey w/o any problems. my fiance is also in the airline industry (but not as crew) :)

most FA jump ship :P - you're definitely new to this line for sure! - $$ is a major influence, i know crew who leave a leading international airline to go to a private airline - money, number of flights, crew culture are major factors why we jump - for example budget to international, international to private. :) some get married and fly part time on the flying mothers scheme. some get bored of the job (yes, really) gosh, some people join airlines for the experience from budget then move on to international, etc - People jump ship! :) Hahahahaahha - gosh, of course we do! Some want breaks in their lifes, some do it for many reasons.

hehehe - you're definitely a guy - politics the same in the office as on board - :) giggle, i let you experience it but i doubt you'll encounter it as a guy unless you really screwed up in the galley.

there are perks - as i have said. there is always the pros and cons - i am just sharing my experience of flying for 7 years.

you're really new to the line :) you'll learn it really quickly! personal problems? - oh gosh, going brutal here eh? - Nope, I left after my bond as most of us did as we wanted to try something new and experience a new environment for sure. second airline was fun - loved it - good crew culture and management, moved back to SIN and worked for another shitty airline - I think it has to do with the people you work with as well.

you can totally disagree, i am not here to win you over dear! :) merliongirl and i have probably seen through the same stuff as a lot of us who have actually done it, and moved on with our lives or sticked on. some will love this job, some can't wait to leave and some just plain treat it as a day-by-day experience.

think positive in the world - hahahahahahaha - sorry, sorry too funny for me - Don't go "WORLD PEACE on ME" now :P - yes, positivity is very important for people to survive in the industry. i agree - very very important.

you act a lot - trust me :) it's a natural skill - oh dear i really don't know how to explain this to you any further, some of you will encounter it and learn from it.

"just not suited" for the industry" - lol, been flying 7 years and worked as supervisory :) So funny, :) Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in this adventure. You'll learn as you work in the line. There are black sheep? - Not sheep, pure demons! :) You're bound to quite a few. But it'll improve as you gain seniority.

Humility goes a long way, don't argue with your seniors and even talk back, you'll die. Got opinions - phrase them properly and politely.

=) Cheers!

gliny
Regular
Regular

Post by gliny » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:08 am

you make my eyes tired of reading what you said. Haha. I guess you could really score on the examinations essay. Well, pple do have different views and i cant judge. I see things differently. You may have worked in the airline for 6yrs. But i've been with the MFA(ministry of foreign affairs) for 6 whole years. And i believe i've seen my fair share of exprience. Oh well, think we had a good debate. My eyes are really tired. :lol:

*rachel*

Post by *rachel* » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:06 pm

it's very upsetting to see peoples argue in the forum ... if one cannot endure what other peoples said in open forum like this, how one can survive with the political issue in any job?

toygirl and merliongal26 just trying to gives some information of their personal experince - although is not what aspiring FA hope to hear, but hey ... it's just a piece of information.

tuesdayisbest also give good views about her experince as an FA...

the thing is everyone might experince things in every different way ... is up to those care to read.... and think through.... and care to ask more info from them again to deciede... whether to be or not to be FA.

I agree is there is no difference as an FA whether u r grad or not ...everyone is the same up there.

However, the fact that is those freah grad who become an FA right after degree must be prepare - your FA experience might not be counted, especially those professions like IT, Engineer, Lawyer,... where experince in similar job is what count for better pay and more senior position. Remember a degree not put in practice after 2 years means nothing much to an employer ... they will think a fresh grad is better than them and no one care u have 1st class, it was 2 years ago.

Again - there are many successful examples out there for life after FA.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 1:12 pm

Toygirl,

Excellent series of posts. It is obvious that you are speaking from a wealth of experience. I am glad that you have been posting your thoughts here as hopefully, it may well put off some of the 'wannabe's with a clue' that Plavt and others over the past year have been trying to warn without much success. When they fail, you never hear from them due to their loss of face. It is a shame because they could forestall lots of grief and stress later after they find out that what some of us have been saying all along is correct.

I have to say, what you have related thus far is in sync with much that I have heard from various FA's from around the world over the past 25-35 years of flying around the world. I daresay that you could even expound even further if necessary. Sure there is a certain amount of cachet in being an FA but the stress of the performace would almost certainly take it toll in the long run.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

merliongal26
Regular
Regular

Post by merliongal26 » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 1:20 pm

well, like we said, some people are more suited for the job, and some who can't ACT as well ( like me =p) just can't handle it after some time.

Good luck to all who joins the industry. I hope things will turn out better for you! =)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 3:47 pm

The crux of the matter is all jobs have positives and negatives; it is you as an individual who has to weigh up the pros and cons.

Those who intend to apply should simply sit down and write on a piece of paper (I'm not joking) what is good and what is bad about such a job. In addition find some reading material go to the airport and better still go on a flight and talk briefly with the crews. Just short and simple questions will often provided lots of information that maybe never even considered.

Seeing the good and ignoring the bad can be very costly to some, find the negative aspects and think how you would deal with them if you really want such a job. There is no doubt that this will be a feature of some of the interviews.

Plavt.

gliny
Regular
Regular

Post by gliny » Sat, 26 Aug 2006 8:54 am

Those that claim they love their job can only do so, if they never once complained abt the job. Most pple complained abt everything including their own job. Some executives are so highly paid that others can only watch with envy, but what makes you think they have never complained abt their job? Every job comes with a price. Whether you like it or not. No one is easily satisfied. If there is so much resentment in a job which you condemme, why continue? Might as well leave and allow someone else who might just be contended being in your shoes.

p.s. This is an open forum. And yes, its only a friendly debate. Which means a friendly argument. To those who felt upset, i suggest that you don't look. Change that mentality and probably you'll see this in a different light.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Sat, 26 Aug 2006 5:18 pm

Gliny as we can all tell is kinda new to the industry so giggle, we can all understanding the enthusiasm for the job (wink).

Oh gosh, you're so philosophical in a HRD kinda way - Hahahaha - sorry, you just make me grin when I read your posts.

Having a friendly "debate" onboard - Then we'll see you being served as the main entree (Sorry, couldn't resist), but it's all the name of fun here - open forum - yeah, as long as you don't mislead people generally.

"Love" your job - Hmm.. then why did you resign fromy our last and the previous? - Don't tell me during your previous 2 interviews you shared your passion with the MXs and HODs that you wished to be a cabin crew - :D - I can imagine them gulping in shock if you did. Some will love the job, some will lose the love after seeing what is really like, some will just do it for the sake of monetary reasons. To fail to realise is just plain fooliness and naivity on your part.

Obviously some of us here have been through more than you have and we'll let you see it for yourself!

Some of us here don't really share information like this so most people come with zero background knowledge and learn from experience. We are just sharing our experience - as the topic read - I doubt you fit in that category so enough said :)

Every job comes with a price - true, but do you know what the price is- SOME DON'T - It's easy for someone who is just fresh to make assumptions and think they are an expert on the area. Learn humility quickly. Usually we hire crew who do not display argumentativeness - We reserve judgment on this issue otherwise:D

Every job comes with a price. Whether you like it or not. No one is easily satisfied. If there is so much resentment in a job which you condemme, why continue? Might as well leave and allow someone else who might just be contended being in your shoes. - Answer : People leave. That's the fact. Newbies come, see it and leave, it's a cycle. I have already explained this many times and the crux of the argument is - People leave. Understand? If you're going to paint rosey pictures to satisfy a deluded viewpoint then that is your prerogative

This is an open forum. And yes, its only a friendly debate. Which means a friendly argument. To those who felt upset, i suggest that you don't look. Change that mentality and probably you'll see this in a different light.

Answer: Wow, "Don't look?" - I find that disconcerting as I associate such behavior with that of a rude person not a cabin crew. You basically confirmed a point that I have wanted to stress - In this discussion, if you can stoop to that level which is construed as blatantly rude and ungentlemanly, then you're going to be humbled on board.

Good luck to you. :wink:

P.S. - On board no one really cares about your previous experience! I can testify to that - So skip mentioning MFA, banking, finance. You could be a MX9 (but I'm guessing you're on the CSO/TSO scheme). Working in banking, working in MFA is different from working on board. Learn that quickly. Carpe diem. :)