Singapore Expats

Red/brown bumps on arms

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Annuu

Red/brown bumps on arms

Post by Annuu » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 8:40 pm

My wife has had these red bumps on the back of her arms for years, and being a Pharmacist, I did some investigations into what they are, what is the cause and whether the red bumps can be treated.

Turns out it is an inherited condition, called keratosis pilaris, or also known as kp. The cells lining the hair follicles, become sticky, and don't clear away at the normal rate, causing the hair follicle to become stopped up with a little white plug. The hair becomes trapped, and the follicle becomes red and raised. Many women pick at them, hoping that it will clear the blocked pore, but unfortunately this can result in scarring.

Well, what can be done...I hear you say..?

I tried concocting various creams here at home, and we stumbled across a combination of a plant extract (Centella asiatica), New Zealand Avocado oil, Olive oil, Sodium Lactate, Urea and Vitamins A, C and E. It worked very well!

Thanks for listening to our story, and I hope that this info is of help.

Cheers!

Annuu

Annuu

Post by Annuu » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 6:30 pm

If you are interested in finding out more about kp, then the non-commercial site www.keratosispilaris.org is very helpful!