Singapore Expats

How to set up a Home Based business?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
bslim67

How to set up a Home Based business?

Post by bslim67 » Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:43 am

Hi all,

I am thinking of setting up a Home Based business but does not know how to come about doing it. Basically, I am thinking of selling children clothings, towels, pyjamas etc.

Does anyone know if I were to do it thru internet, how can I do it?

And also, how can I let customers know my website?

Thanks

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:04 pm

:o

With all due respect, if you're this lost about it, maybe this is not the business for you...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

tham

Post by tham » Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:53 pm

jpatokal, i do not agreed with you.
at least our friend is making his frist move by asking around. :wink:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: How to set up a Home Based business?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 8:54 am

bslim67 wrote:Hi all,

I am thinking of setting up a Home Based business but does not know how to come about doing it. Basically, I am thinking of selling children clothings, towels, pyjamas etc.

Thanks
You are entering a very difficult line of online business... clothing. People are worried about sizing and quality... they can't touch the stuff. There are many local brick and mortar shops that compete with you.

Do a search for clothing sales on the net. Except for specialty brands like LL Bean, Levis', etc., where people already know the brand, you won't find many.

If you want to start up anyway, the best way is through E-Bay or Yahoo. People will not come to or be able to find a new website but they do come to E-Bay all the time. You can post your merchandise there and see if you get any buyers.

XavierG

Hey

Post by XavierG » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 2:43 pm

Will support you to do so and have known people who managed to do well with setup like these. Here are some pointers, not comprehensive but hopefully it helps:

- Setup small, do not overbuy, its ok to pay more for your stocks first in the initial phase.
- At the start, do not expect to earn money, you should concentrate on building up your network/ csutomers
- You do not have to setup your own site first, there are people who make respectable income by using websites like ebay or yahoo shopping.
- if you do setup your site, learn how to use google adsense and yahoo's overture, these are quite leanrnable as long as you are patient
- most impt is that you have good pdts k?

Good Luck

Xavier

ToriM2

same idea

Post by ToriM2 » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:09 am

Hi! i actually was thinking of doing the same. I had an Ebay biz in the US selling baby clothes. It did very well. I'm just not familiar with the Singapore market yet (since we just arrived a week ago)-- how big, buying habits, etc.

I've looked at the Ebay singapore site, and it doesn't look like a lot of people purchase clothes from there. Do you think it's a good to go flea market? or join bazaars (ie. American Women's bazaar, etc)?

Anyone have suggestions apart from the internet?

XavierG

Post by XavierG » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:22 am

Hi,
Singapore Ebay is not highly visited. you can use "yahoo Singapore". More people use that here for their online purchase.

With regards to bazzar, you will find that there is more business for bazzar in heartland malls than those in towns. Of course, it depends very much on location too. You can look forward to the chinese new year bazzar coming up in feb, but recently, there has been a drop in business there too.

My suggestion is to distribut your products to shops around.

Xavier

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: How to set up a Home Based business?

Post by ksl » Mon, 21 Aug 2006 4:09 am

portblack wrote:
bslim67 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks

It appears portblack is in need of help also!!!!! Go and peddle in the toilet please, not on the forum, have a little respect for those that work for a living!!! Now with regards to online sales, SE is quite right, clothing is a no no, and especially here in Singapore, unless you have the ability and experience to market your product online, and even then, getting the Singaporeans to pay over the internet, is a no no!

Take a look at ebay.com.sg and you will see, by the amount of bidders, that business is not that good in Singapore. I have also noticed that ebay sales are normally, around 2/3rd cheaper than retail outlets, however Ebay Singapore is not even cheaper than retail outlets in many cases, they want top buck! a little like Sim Lim, greed rules, and no plans for the future!

Mainland China the same, goods advertised at 1 pound and postage of 50 pounds, for an item that weighs a few grams. Mind you I guess there are suckers in every Country.

You would have a much better chance of a car boot sale! or in fact purchase bulk seconds like most do, then find a place to rent for the day, and sell off cheap, it's so easy! You don't even have to unpack the boxes of clothing, just say every item (free,)and they'll be gone before you can turn around.

Joking aside! bulk purchase of kids clothing, fix a price, so that you can clear out quick, the same day! and make a few hundred bucks, items below 15$ will sell quick if you have an idea of fashion sense and purchasing second quality goods....

A fine example is Marine Parade, large well branded Company having a clear out sale!!! believe me, there second quality goods that are price slashed, yet everyone jumps in, at 75% and 90% off.

Car boot much better opportunity in Singapore, or better still find a place an empty car park on the weekends, outside of the City, and arrange a car boot, plan it well in advance and send out flyers, good marketing skills are needed to pull the crowds. and it gives everyone a chance to get rid of all the unwanted goods in the home.

nova74

online business

Post by nova74 » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:12 am

bslim
online business for such apparel trading is quite tough, ebay or auction is sure an alternative cheaper route to expose your product, but the bidding retail gotta very cheap. Try figure out some revolutionary selling method. Anyhow no harm trying, no venture no gain.

You can check with me if u need help as i have been in fashion merchandising, retailing and sourcing product development working with the international buyers and factories all these while, product type, costing, factories contacts or technical aspect abt apparel. If i can help, i try within my means.

[/quote]