Singapore Expats

Windows Will Not Let Me Update...

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Luvs2BSpoild

Windows Will Not Let Me Update...

Post by Luvs2BSpoild » Mon, 24 Jul 2006 5:17 pm

I am hoping that someone out there can help me. I recently returned from several weeks away and when I fired up the old computer, I was notified that there are updates for Windows ready for download and installation. (I do have it set for automatic updates). However, when I go to update, the computer "goes through the motions" of downloading and updating...then I get a message telling me that the update was not successfully installed... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? Also, I attempted to download and install IE 7 beta and cannot get a successful installation as well...

Anyone out there have any ideas, please??? Thank you!

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Mon, 24 Jul 2006 7:12 pm

What updates do you specifically get that message for? If it's service pack 3, I think you need to have the Windows CD inside your drive, and then at some stage point the installer to PRO.msi file.

I have no idea why it is like that - I think it's because M$ wants to verify the originality of your copy before continuing....

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:02 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:What updates do you specifically get that message for? If it's service pack 3, I think you need to have the Windows CD inside your drive, and then at some stage point the installer to PRO.msi file.

I have no idea why it is like that - I think it's because M$ wants to verify the originality of your copy before continuing....
Service pack 3? ;)

No such thing yet.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:56 pm

sorry, I meant office cd. Office service pack 3.

hanriktan

Post by hanriktan » Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:10 pm

I am hoping that someone out there can help me. I recently returned from several weeks away and when I fired up the old computer, I was notified that there are updates for Windows ready for download and installation. (I do have it set for automatic updates). However, when I go to update, the computer "goes through the motions" of downloading and updating...then I get a message telling me that the update was not successfully installed... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? Also, I attempted to download and install IE 7 beta and cannot get a successful installation as well...

hi,

do u own a Original version? if u own it, did u install it onto another PC? and if you did, which means u have set the 2nd PC as the authorised user rather then your 1st PC...

Windows is a little sensitive in this area, and if they sense there are 2 PC using the same ID.. they will not allow the 2nd PC to update.. worrying that someone might use it for illegal purposes...

and if you read the license agreement carefully, license is meant for 1 PC not 2 PCs

Ice Pirate

Post by Ice Pirate » Fri, 04 Aug 2006 4:20 am

You may also want to see if your hard drive needs to be defraged. If the drive has less than 15%, it may not allow you to do things like defrag or updates.

Cheers!
Ice

Luvs2BSpoild

Post by Luvs2BSpoild » Wed, 09 Aug 2006 8:04 am

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. In answer to your questions... I am using an original version of Windows XP Home and have only installed it on one computer. Additionally, I have just performed a defrag within the last month, so there is no need to do another. This isn't causing any major problems, as everything else seems to be working well, but it's just annoying that I cannot get this one particular update to install. I've never experienced this type of problem before, and I'm the type where I don't like a computer getting the best of me! LOL :mad:

hanriktan

Post by hanriktan » Fri, 11 Aug 2006 8:51 am

there is one last solution that i hate to advise you... call the Microsoft service centre ...

antpink

Post by antpink » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:20 am

you could try updating one patch at a time - some of the updates only allow you to do single update exercise, which is a pain but maybe necessary. Have you tried to switch off auto-update and go via the website version instead to do it that way. If you do this you will also find a bunch of non-critical updates you might actually want to have.....

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Windows Will Not Let Me Update...

Post by ksl » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:33 am

Luvs2BSpoild wrote:I am hoping that someone out there can help me. I recently returned from several weeks away and when I fired up the old computer, I was notified that there are updates for Windows ready for download and installation. (I do have it set for automatic updates). However, when I go to update, the computer "goes through the motions" of downloading and updating...then I get a message telling me that the update was not successfully installed... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? Also, I attempted to download and install IE 7 beta and cannot get a successful installation as well...

It could be one of several problems, your connection is timing out!, something may have changed in your registry, that disallows, the update. Your best bet, is to go onto the microsoft website, and do some manual testing of your computer, it may be able to correct the problem.

I have had the problem before, in fact on several occassions, but its so long ago now, I think it may have been the web browser, was damaged, and i had to reinstall explorer. but you can download firefox and try updating through that browser.

Spyware and adware can also effect the browser by slowing the response time, whereby it times out, so do a scan!

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Tue, 03 Oct 2006 2:07 am

The problem is related to MS Office updates....you must have the MSOcache folder in your root drive to perform the updates. If it's not there, check this link as a first start to create it:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/msocache_folder.htm