Singapore Expats

question about singapore executive search habit

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
phantom_brave

question about singapore executive search habit

Post by phantom_brave » Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:34 pm

Hi guys, need some advise here in dealing with Singapore Executive Search

I am a professional in telecom industry in Indonesia. And since i am seeking for opportunities in singapore, i try to contact several executive searchs that i found from Internet. And actually i got contacted by one of the executive search where i posted my CV two weeks ago, on Friday. Since i was in the meeting marathon that day, he said that he will email me about the detail. So i received his email later and he said that he was looking forward to call me on next monday.

And later at the monday morning, he called. He asked alot about my background, we chat for about half hour until i got called from my CEO to attend some meeting (again). And when i told him bout that, he said "ok then, you should go then... i'll call you back cause i still has lots of question for you". And i said yes and finish the call.

And from what have he told me, i was really interested in the position he had. Actually he havent give any spesific position or company, but he already gave me some hints. So later that night i email him again to tell him whenever he feel like to called me again, just call or email me to set the time for the call.

It happen a week ago, last monday. Precisely one week from now. But still i havent got any call or email from him. It was like ... nuthing. I truly dont understand. Am i being cut off? I thought in professional lworld we dont do thing like we did on the date while we were in high school. When he told somebody that we'll call her but actually we intend not to seeing her anymore.

Do you guys think i should send another email? or called to his office? Even though i dont want to appear too eager, but in fact actually i am really that eager to had that opportunity he told me last week. It was like my dream job since high school.

Or it's just how the executive search had their way in dealing with candidates. When they called and they feel that he is not the one... they just dont contact him anymore. even only for saying "sorry, you're not suit for this position according to our client"

i am deeply still hoping probabbly he got some trouble, or maybe he still had his hand full on something else.

Or maybe i am the who being too worry, cause one to two weeks is a common limit for something like that?

Please guy...really need some advice here

thks

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:07 pm

HR people are as unreliable as salesmen, but a little worse because their product is you, and they'll do whatever it takes to get their commission off you -- until a better prospect shows up and they drop you like a hot potato.

But if I were you, I'd give him a call. It is a bit like dating at high school: you'll be alone and lonely if you sit there waiting by the phone, so it's better to be active, and hey, you've got nothing to lose.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:14 am

jpatokal wrote:HR people are as unreliable as salesmen, but a little worse because their product is you, and they'll do whatever it takes to get their commission off you -- until a better prospect shows up and they drop you like a hot potato.

But if I were you, I'd give him a call. It is a bit like dating at high school: you'll be alone and lonely if you sit there waiting by the phone, so it's better to be active, and hey, you've got nothing to lose.
A little something to add to that. Never put all your eggs in one basket. He (the headhunter) isn't and neither should you. Time is money for a headhunter. He probably had three suitable candidates and submitted the two best ones.

Otherwise, the client has started stalling. Possibly their contract fell through. This happens all to often and leaves the smaller players hanging out to dry. The big boys usually can get retainers. What usually happens is the HR department is notified that a company has submitted a proposal and "it's looks like we have a good chance of securing it" so can you guys (HR) start looking for these types of engineers, executives, etc. They put out the call to all their kaki's in the various agencies that they happen to be using at that time. In their rush to find the ideal candidate, they forget to tell the candidate that it's only a possibility should the client win the contract. And there you are. Never give your notice until you have signed on the dotted line with a new company.

Candidates are like fresh vegetables and fruit, they have a very short shelf life.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

phantom_brave

Post by phantom_brave » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 9:42 pm

thks guy for the advise. i've made up my mind. I'll called him right away tomorrow morning. I'll hunt him down until i got the news.. :D

phantom_brave

Post by phantom_brave » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 1:58 am

hi guys

i'm officialy being deserted by the executive search. i have called him to his mobile, try to contact him through instant messenger and email. but got nuthing from him. what an attitude....

lesson learned : singapore is hard for south east asia expats. unless you spend couple weeks in singapore doing nuthing but applying and waiting for the interview call..

vinyong

Post by vinyong » Fri, 11 Aug 2006 4:16 am

Yes, singapore is indeed hard to find job nowadays.