Singapore Expats

Current Lebanon Crisis

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.

The Curretn LEbanon Crisis

Israel is overreacting
56%
Israel is doing the right thing
33%
To early to tell
11%

Total votes: 18

Bafana

Current Lebanon Crisis

Post by Bafana » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 4:06 pm

Thought this was a good topic for some serious debate.

In my view the (over)reaction by Israel has to be stopped and stopped soon. It could even be a good oppurtunity for the US to improve Middle East relations if they were seen to side with the Muslims over this rather then Israel.

Anyway would love to here some more educated responses then my own inner musings.

Baf
Be Like Water

Ecka Dimmock

Post by Ecka Dimmock » Sun, 23 Jul 2006 8:14 am

I'd say Israel has to do this sooner or later. Hezbollah captured two soldiers this time, so in that light it might seem an overreaction, but that was only the latest in a long series of attacks. No country would tolerate sharing a border with Hezbollah for long, if there was something they could do about it.

As for the US siding with Muslims, there are better causes to choose than this. Even most Arab states dislike Hezbollah.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 8:10 pm

A retired American general on CNN posited an interesting theory (yeah, I was as shocked as you are) -- Israel's real aim is to arm-twist Syria into giving up on Hezbollah once and for all in exchange for getting the Golan Heights back. I'm not entirely sure I find this plausible (how to deal with Hezbollah's second backer, fellow Shia state Iran?) but it's the only remotely clean solution I can see.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 28 Jul 2006 1:11 pm

Well now that they have killed some UN workers surely there should be an intervention - Should have been one before anyway in my opinion.

This sort of thing is what keeps world instability goign as we are not talking nation against nation but a nation picking a fight with a sub group of anthoer nation. How to control?
Be Like Water

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 29 Jul 2006 5:11 pm

Bafana wrote:Well now that they have killed some UN workers surely there should be an intervention - Should have been one before anyway in my opinion.
Hmm? There's been one there for 20-odd years now, called UNIFIL, and they haven't done diddly-squat (mostly because they're not even allowed to).
This sort of thing is what keeps world instability goign as we are not talking nation against nation but a nation picking a fight with a sub group of anthoer nation. How to control?
Get the nation under control. That's the root of the problem here: Lebanon's central government would be happy to make peace with Israel, but they don't have control over Hezbollah, and can't do anything about it as long as Syria/Iran keep propping 'em up.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Post by renter » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 9:39 am

For the war as well as the ME conflict in the whole, it is too hard to tell which side is right and which is wrong. It is very easy to take sides due to the religion conflicts there.

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Post by Answers? » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:27 pm

renter wrote:For the war as well as the ME conflict in the whole, it is too hard to tell which side is right and which is wrong. It is very easy to take sides due to the religion conflicts there.
That's easy, Nuke them all. Then let God/Allah sort them out!

apsara

Post by apsara » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 9:03 pm

Answers,

I must say, you have a very immature answer to this! Its not even funny. Please don't be so callous about wars or other religions....obviously, you have No idea about the ME crisis. So go and read up and talk responsibly.

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Post by guruvishwanath » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 9:28 pm

People like Answers? make me question his evolution in general. Moron! :mad:

Its a pity that a nation that has experienced the most devastating brutality in the history of mankind is unable to think of any alternatives. The siege mentality that the Israeli's have is not unwarranted but the paranoia for saying "we are afraid of everything and we will pre-empt" logic is completely misguided. Lets not even qualify Hamas and Hezbollah as human beings. Any organization that brainwashed people to strap bombs and blows the living shit of people is not part of any human evolution. But then what does a country like Israel do when you have uncompromising principles in thier face? They truly are caught between the devil and deep sea. Saying that, I have no sympathy for Israel for a single reason. Everytime they kill civilians and there is a hint of world protest, they force USA to side them. The American goverment does not even have the balls to criticise them. Any hint of that, they veto it. That riles me! I mean, we know that WWII was not exactly a proud moment in anyones history. We know the death and destruction of millions in concentration camps which even today can bring tears to the most jaded of the people. But making that as an excuse everytime they f**k up is just plain ridiculous! They are forcing people not to move on and hold on that event like a damocles sword.

We, Indians, lost millions too. During the 1947 partition. It was one of the worst times in the formation years of the Indian and Pakistan nations.

We were oppressed, plundered, massacared, discriminated by the British for 300 years. And yet! we dont hold any grudge against the British. The Indian government has never alluded to the historical happenings. The only they demanded was the queen apologise for the Jallianwala Bagh masaccre. Fine! Do Indians feel that they are lesser because they were ruled by the Brits? No! Today we have two things that have propelled us to forefront of economy. The language English. And we got an excellent beginnings for a railway system. Fine, the Brits left us with a system of bureaucracy that is killing the progress. But, Its cool! It will take time, but it will go away. One day! Slowly! :D :D

I have always believed that religion is a personal and private matter. It is not something to be made into a street show. I do not believe that I must ever question my fellow human being as to what religion does he belong to. I will respect his and I expect that he respect mine. Thats it! Nothing said. I will respect the rules in his religion as he must do to mine.

We can keep second guessing ourselves until the end of this civilization but this is one conflict that will never be resolved without extremeties. We can only hope that someday someone with better sense will take a step back and re-evaluate the whole situation from scratch and make difficult compromise for the greater good.

We are fortunate to be living in a country where we can only imagine in our worst nightmares on what is going on in that region. I only sympathise with the people on both sides who are caught and I am sure they are praying to their own gods for a solution.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 10:11 pm

Guys

This is the strictly speaking forum which means no stupidity - Please settle down, I don't want to have to moderate.
Be Like Water

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Post by Answers? » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 10:34 pm

apsara wrote:Please don't be so callous about wars or other religions....
Strapping on explosives and getting on a bus on in a subway tunnel or crowded market isn't callous?

Lobbing Rockets into non-military targets loaded with children without proof of where the enemy are isn't callous? Maybe you need to do a rethink, I think I understand a lot better than you do. Do you have a solution? That hasn't been already tried and failed that is? I'm all ears, let's hear it!
guruvishwanath wrote:make me question his evolution in general. Moron! :mad:

We, Indians, lost millions too. During the 1947 partition. It was one of the worst times in the formation years of the Indian and Pakistan nations.

We were oppressed, plundered, massacared, discriminated by the British for 300 years. And yet! we dont hold any grudge against the British.
I'm a moron? It's not me who's still at war with their own muslim countrymen 60 years after the partition (all because of religion as well). Not much real difference on your border that what is happening in the ME now is it. One should sweep off their own back step prior to passing judgement on others. Matter of fact, I believe you just had a series of bombers in Mumbai didn't you?

Now, who's a moron? Both should have a long look in the mirror before casting stones at others.

Am I extreme? Possibly, but a few neutron bombs would solve the problem wouldn't it. I've no great love for either side as I think both are extremists. Both have proverbial chips on their shoulders and daring anybody to touch them. Wonder how many times the nuclear sabre rattling has taken place on your northern border guru? care to answer? Anybody with some "Answers?"

edited to include:

Yes, my original answer was totally without merit, I agree. But on the face of it is it any different that what is eventually going to happen on guru's country's northern boarder? or IRAQ and their current project, or North Korea? Sooner or later! And when the dust and radioactivity settles? God/allah will have to sort it all out after we blow ourselves off the face of the earth due to greed, jealousy, and perceived slights.

Again, I ask for Answers?
Last edited by Answers? on Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:31 am

Answers, those are the last thing anyone on earth will want to do. Even if it's the only way out for ending the conflicts, i'm sure everyone here will not want to see it in their life time. It'll be so horrible...
IBMing

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Post by Answers? » Wed, 02 Aug 2006 9:20 am

It only takes one loose cannon as the story goes. (Like GWB for instance)

Or the guy in N.Korea or the guy in Iran. Or the India Pakistan border. What safety measures are in place to prevent one nutcase from starting a chain reaction? Witness the latest missile tests in Korea (why do they need two stage rockets?) Why does Iran need nuclear power so badly (that can also produce weapons grade plutonium)? Why does N.Korea need enriched Uranium so badly? No body wants to see it but it could happen if we don't find some "Answers?"

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 02 Aug 2006 1:06 pm

Answers? wrote:It only takes one loose cannon as the story goes. (Like GWB for instance)

Or the guy in N.Korea or the guy in Iran. Or the India Pakistan border. What safety measures are in place to prevent one nutcase from starting a chain reaction? Witness the latest missile tests in Korea (why do they need two stage rockets?) Why does Iran need nuclear power so badly (that can also produce weapons grade plutonium)? Why does N.Korea need enriched Uranium so badly? No body wants to see it but it could happen if we don't find some "Answers?"
I understand where you are coming from and there's so much truth to it. Reminds me of the global warming documentary that I watched on Discovery yesterday. We all know it is happening and accelerated by our consumption behaviours. However, there's no effort taken on a global basis to combat it.

chicago11

Post by chicago11 » Sat, 05 Aug 2006 3:13 am

Honesty would be a good start instead of 'nuking' everyone, don't you agree? Before He sorts everyone out, He will have to sort out the good guys from the bad guys.