Singapore Expats

Migraine

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
ironlady
Regular
Regular

Migraine

Post by ironlady » Tue, 25 Jul 2006 7:57 pm

hey those of you who have Migraine ,how do you deal with it ? I get Migraine almost every 3 days ,I have been prescribed Synflex,Mefenemic Acid,Carfegot but nothing works. I will be due for a Citiscan soon, but one of my friends who has the same problem,tells me that her Scan revealed nothing.

But I am still afraid of going for the scan..anyone care to share your experiences ?? Thanks! :lol:

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Post by emiko08 » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 1:00 am

usually migraine is the cause of strain from the neck thats why scans will show nothing. 90% of the time the migraine is nothing serious (tumor etc) unless you are the other 10% :o

good luck/

lolitaa
Regular
Regular

Post by lolitaa » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 1:36 am

I used to get migraine attacks very often too, but that was during my school days. I was probably overstressed.

Now i only get migraine due to certain food i consume or bad posture.

Try to avoid eating too much nuts, as I read that it causes migraine to certain people.

Anyway, don't worry too much. Good luck!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 2:17 am

The link below is from the UK's National Health Service (NHS) helpline which is run by the British Government, perhaps posters will find something useful;

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... ionId=6844

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Wed, 26 Jul 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Migraine

Post by Plavt » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 2:21 am

ironlady wrote:hey those of you who have Migraine ,how do you deal with it ? I get Migraine almost every 3 days ,I have been prescribed Synflex,Mefenemic Acid,Carfegot but nothing works. I will be due for a Citiscan soon, but one of my friends who has the same problem,tells me that her Scan revealed nothing.

But I am still afraid of going for the scan..anyone care to share your experiences ?? Thanks! :lol:

Try not to worry so much things can often seem more frightening than they need be.

Plavt.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:31 pm

Yesh thats true, maybe you can try to identify what causes the migraine and try to find a solution.

Annuu

Post by Annuu » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 8:05 pm

Avoiding trigger foods/stress is the best prevention, but if one is coming on...

I have found the following combinaton to be very good at getting rid of migraines. Take all three tablets together:

2 x Panadol Extra (each tab contains 500mg paracetamol, 65mg caffeine)
1 x Extra strength Aspirin (each tab contains 500mg aspirin)

I recommended this to a friend recently, and she was amazed at how well it worked, even better than Imigran (sumatriptan)

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Post by emiko08 » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:08 pm

Annuu wrote:I have found the following combinaton to be very good at getting rid of migraines. Take all three tablets together:

2 x Panadol Extra (each tab contains 500mg paracetamol, 65mg caffeine)
1 x Extra strength Aspirin (each tab contains 500mg aspirin)

I recommended this to a friend recently, and she was amazed at how well it worked, even better than Imigran (sumatriptan)
Medicine just take away the pain but the real source of pain is not cured.
Taking too much of tablets would make you rely on it but one day it would stop working as the body is too used to it.

a healthy lifestyle and diet also play a part.

just a penny of my thoughts.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:46 pm

Imigran was so expensive.. even the Panadol dint work for me...

happyeau

Post by happyeau » Fri, 28 Jul 2006 7:59 pm

I also offen suffer frm migrant too...as i notice when the weather changes, under stress or emotion change too quickly... my headache came along...well, at tat time i normally take 2 tablet of panadols ...i have upset stomache if i take asprin...

sometimes i even smoke a cigarattes to stop migrant then take a tablets

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:41 am

lol. ...ok ,,then i should start ....smoking........... :cool:

Mirandouli

Migraine treatment

Post by Mirandouli » Sun, 30 Jul 2006 4:15 pm

Hi, being a migraine sufferer myself I empathise with you totally. Before I started experiencing them myself, I had no idea how debilitating they are. :shock:

My suggestions include..

Identify if there are any triggers ( mine are cigarette and cigar smoke and certain chemicals in paints)
Identify if stress is a cause
Is it posture and neck tension
Is it related to certain times of the month/or events
make sure you are drinking lots of water - dehydration can compound headaches/migraines

I had many patients come to me for massage treatment on a weekly basis and all found great relief - most ceased having them altogehter - PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!! releasing muscular skeletal tension is a great way to prevent them.

Prior to learning how to manage them, I used to end up in Emergency and have to have Pethadine injections to knock me out for hours. :???: Fortunately I've found other more natural preventions.

I also get my husband to give me spinal adjustments and occipital pressure points (which I've taught him how to do) and these two treatements can head off (pun not intended) my migraines.

Some "ethnic" treatments include a rigourous rubbing with coins or stones- causing great pain and bruising - but for me very effective - releases the pain gateway....

I wish you luck I really feel for you. :D

Return to “Beauty, Health & Fitness”