Singapore Expats

Bird Flu / Tamiflu

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Patrick777
Regular
Regular

Bird Flu / Tamiflu

Post by Patrick777 » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 6:56 pm

Do you know how prepared Singapore is for an outbreak of Bird flu and is it possible to but Tamiflu or the other thingy over the counter?

Not that bothered just inquiring etc!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Bird Flu / Tamiflu

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 9:05 pm

Patrick777 wrote:Do you know how prepared Singapore is for an outbreak of Bird flu and is it possible to but Tamiflu or the other thingy over the counter?

Not that bothered just inquiring etc!
From what I understand it is a controlled substance insomuch as the government wants to make sure that stock are here when needed. You have to understand the local logic to understand why. They will buy up all the stocks and start taking them for no reason at all. This wil then lead to a weakening of the punch of the medicine and making it almost impossible to supply to the whole population in a pandemic situation. The only way to stop it is to control it at the highest level.

I do understand also that they have laid in sufficient quantities to handle a pandemic situation - the government is usually good for that - while it is a kneejerk reaction as usual, can't say that I don't agree with them in this instance what with Indonesia now the leader in Bird Flu deaths.

What is funny though is that the common Asian Flu kills more every winter in the US than the Bird Flu as killed worldwide since it started.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:28 pm

Last year I went to the doctor for a script refill when I noticed a lot of locals were in there getting Tamiful shot. The doctor commented on the hype in the media was causing people to panic. He felt that it wasn't necessary to rush, so I didn't. I think what SMS has to say makes a lot of sense. Besides he has been here a lot longer than either one of us.

Patrick777
Regular
Regular

Cheers for the advice

Post by Patrick777 » Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:38 pm

Patrick