Singapore Expats

Airlines checking your resumes...

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
grivoise
Regular
Regular

Airlines checking your resumes...

Post by grivoise » Mon, 17 Jul 2006 1:36 pm

Alright, I don't know if anyone else has heard about this, but a friend who has been with *** Airline for about a year told me that the the airline actually made a "cold call" to one of the companies she had listed in her resume (She knew about this because they spoke to the Manager who's her boss). Anyway, this sounds really far-fetched to me but even if it's true it's probably the usual practice for most companies, although, I wonder if they do it to everyone or just a select few, like say, if the company you allegedly worked for happens to be a big name or something in the industry so they want to check the credibility of your resume?

Hmmmmm...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 17 Jul 2006 6:30 pm

Very hard to say if somebody would actually bother for sure. Here in the UK such an action is unlikely. Despite the marketing hype by airlines and many other companies you are nothing more than a number on a list (.i.e. make up the required number of staff). Although there are certain standards and requirements looking at where you have been probably isn't that important.

Here in Britain when you leave one job for another the company you have left is not allowed to disclose your personnel details or even state the fact that you were dismissed (if you were). Therefore what gets sent is nothing more than a stock letter that confirms the dates you were employed and little else. Although we have a little more freedom as we can ask for a copy of what was sent. No doubt you will realize I cannot be 100% certain of what happens in Singapore but it is likely to be the same given the large number of applications an airline receives.

Hope this helps.

Plavt.

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Mon, 17 Jul 2006 8:38 pm

I know Jetstar asia did that when I joined.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 17 Jul 2006 8:43 pm

sharkie8480 wrote:I know Jetstar asia did that when I joined.
Urgh........ :( That really is out of order but then Singapore is not England, perhaps that explains why people in some companies just keep a low profile.
Who knows maybe it happens here to since there are ways of getting around the rules?

Plavt.

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:07 am

Well, most employers ask for job references when u apply, so there is always a chance they will call and ask I guess? Otherwise, whats the point of asking.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 1:03 am

sharkie8480 wrote:Well, most employers ask for job references when u apply, so there is always a chance they will call and ask I guess? Otherwise, whats the point of asking.
I do'nt know if you saw my earlier post above but employers in the UK simply don't provide references just 'stock' information. Most would not call in the UK because of the data protection act. However, from what I know Singaporean employers can do what ours cannot. Would that be a fair assement?

Plavt.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 1:14 am

I (and my husband) have had similar instances, both as an employer and employee. Australia has a similar stance to UK with companies only issuing a format type letter regarding history of employment, however it is very common for HR areas or agencies to ring listed "referees" cold to check on the information given by applicants. It happens throughout various levels and industries as far as I can ascertain. It is one of the reasons you have to give personal "referee" details.

If they don't check like this is in the UK what do they do?
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 1:37 am

micknlea wrote:
If they don't check like this is in the UK what do they do?
Stock forms showing dates of employment and little else. I haven' seen one but if I was offered employment by another company I am entitled to see what a previous employer has written. I have realized since my previous postings they cannot ring up and ask due to the data protection act. Companies will state that on the phone and won't do anything else as it could be a researcher or journalists they are talking to. Like all things there may be a few exceptions but not for airlines possibly for jobs involving children.

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 1:04 pm

As a headhunter, I normally do background checks as a matter of course in the ongoing process of vetting a particular candidate for corporate fit in a new organization. This is usually via cold call as well although I have also been known to send a written request but usually this is a waste of time. How else are you going to verify that the BS story in the CV is anywhere close to the actual job performed. (You'd be surprised at what people will write in a CV when they don't think it will be checked! :o )

So yes, a word of advice, don't lie or stretch the truth on your resume. You will be found out. Oh, one other thing, I usually only do background checks after shortlisting based on the CV/Certificates, etc.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 1:10 pm

Plavt:

Thanks!

I think what Sharkie means is if you give references, it means that you are prepared to have your potential employer have a tete a tete with your former employer, and you better be confident that the referee is gonna say something complimentary about you!

That really is pretty common in Singapore, especially since our definition of "personnel details" merely includes mundane things like your I/C number or address. I worked in a local orchestra before (ok, there aren't many so you may guess) in the HR department. My manager got calls every now and then from other company heads trying to ascertain NOT just the credibility of the resume, but to dig out information about the employee himself. Things from "did he always turn up on time?" to "Can he be trusted with...?" which I felt was ridiculous since as a Head, you're suppose to lean on your own judgement and not depend on someone from the past...

Even assuming that you left Company X on good terms, it's still a little scary thinking about what kind of telephone exchange they might have. Haha... Anyway, thanks for your replies!

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 1:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As a headhunter, I normally do background checks as a matter of course in the ongoing process of vetting a particular candidate for corporate fit in a new organization. This is usually via cold call as well although I have also been known to send a written request but usually this is a waste of time. How else are you going to verify that the BS story in the CV is anywhere close to the actual job performed. (You'd be surprised at what people will write in a CV when they don't think it will be checked! :o )

So yes, a word of advice, don't lie or stretch the truth on your resume. You will be found out. Oh, one other thing, I usually only do background checks after shortlisting based on the CV/Certificates, etc.

sms
Yeah... my friend didn't stretch anything in her CV. But I was just curious because she worked a total of 3 jobs before applying to be a FA, and among the 3 jobs, the one that got the cold call was a smaller, not big name company. So I'm curious about why they'ld check the credibility of that instead of the other 2 companies... perhaps they thought that people couldn't possibly DARE to lie about having worked in well-known companies? But then, reading what you've just said above, I think that's well possible too right? Hahaha...

Oh yes.. another thing, I think headhunting for a corporate position is quite different from a FA/CC position?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 2:19 pm

grivoise wrote:

I think what Sharkie means is if you give references, it means that you are prepared to have your potential employer have a tete a tete with your former employer, and you better be confident that the referee is gonna say something complimentary about you!
!
Hi again,

Things are clearer now but be assured having a tête-à-tête with a former employer about a former employee in the UK is illegal. Companies just to write for information and are as you can see very limited in what they can obtain. There are of course ways and means of checking somebody's suitability such as production of certificates, written tests etc. In addition there are exceptions to the rules (.e.g.: some jobs are only available to women despite the sex equality act for practical reasons).

Thanks for bringing this up it is an area where I must do some more research here but I think you will have noticed we have rather more 'red-tape'.

Since this is the airline thread note Airlines here cannot state in their application forms: 'you must be blemish free' nor can they issue a separate contract simply because somebody is female and a clause stating a female may not be become pregnant. Employers here have to allow women maternity leave for which they have to be paid. Singapore reminds very much of Britain during the 60's who know what tomorrow will bring.

Hope you find the comparison interesting.

Plavt.

gassy

Re: Airlines checking your resumes...

Post by gassy » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 7:26 pm

grivoise wrote:Alright, I don't know if anyone else has heard about this, but a friend who has been with *** Airline for about a year told me that the the airline actually made a "cold call" to one of the companies she had listed in her resume (She knew about this because they spoke to the Manager who's her boss). Anyway, this sounds really far-fetched to me but even if it's true it's probably the usual practice for most companies, although, I wonder if they do it to everyone or just a select few, like say, if the company you allegedly worked for happens to be a big name or something in the industry so they want to check the credibility of your resume?

Hmmmmm...
U mean the airline checked her resume by calling up her manager after she had been with the airline for a year?? Or before she joined?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 1:48 pm

grivoise wrote:Oh yes.. another thing, I think headhunting for a corporate position is quite different from a FA/CC position?
To be honest, no. it's no difference at all except for the size of the fee we charge. Headhunters do not always look just for Senior positions like CEO's, CFO's, or whatever. We also look for engineers, or any position required by the client company as long as they are willing to pay our fees.

The airlines HR departments probably check backgrounds fairly regularly as well. If you consider the sensitive position that FA/FS's are working in it would make sense to try to get a feel of how a person reacts to stress. Even if it is in a non-glamourous job like a department store cashier/clerk. During a GSS did the girl get overwhelmed with 100's of people in a hurry to pay for their purchases. How did they react when the system goes down. How did they interact with the customers when the steaks were well done instead of medium rare? You would not find this information in a CV but your former manager may well be able to furnish that info. If you are going to freeze up in a crisis, 36000 M is not the place to do it.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

grivoise
Regular
Regular

Post by grivoise » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 4:23 pm

Plavt wrote:Since this is the airline thread note Airlines here cannot state in their application forms: 'you must be blemish free' nor can they issue a separate contract simply because somebody is female and a clause stating a female may not be become pregnant. Employers here have to allow women maternity leave for which they have to be paid. Singapore reminds very much of Britain during the 60's who know what tomorrow will bring.

Hope you find the comparison interesting.

Plavt.
Hahaha. They can't play hooky with anything in black and white, but there's nothing to stop them from discriminating anyway.

Thanks for the information! :)