Singapore Expats

Ethernet vs Wireless

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Benzene

Ethernet vs Wireless

Post by Benzene » Wed, 05 Jul 2006 9:12 pm

Which is better? Why? :?

srikrishnak

Post by srikrishnak » Wed, 05 Jul 2006 9:27 pm

IMHO, it depends on your requirements

Assuming you are asking because you want to select some choice for your home network. :?

Ethernet: If you want to stick to your working desk and a computer on top of it then Ethernet is sufficient. (Remember most of the ISP plans does come with a Ethernet port and cable).
So no additional money to be spent on anything. Quite stable connection.

Wireless: You want to use your notebook in Drawing Room, Bed Room, Living room or anywhere around your home. Ofcourse Wireless is required.

You need to invest some more money ( Buy a wireless router or get it from ISP), Connection is not as stable as Ethernet.

I dont want to talk about Security unless you are working for a secret agency ( If you are then I guess you dont need my opinions) :)

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 2:24 pm

Also, ethernet is faster than wireless (though if it's for internet surfing, it really doesn't matter since you're limited by the broadband speed).

Ethernet: Uses the standard ethernet cable. Secure.

Wireless: Doesn't use cables, but you need to secure it, which can affect performance as there is an encryption overhead unless you use WPA security.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”