Singapore Expats

Need a Mens Barber for a Straight Edge shave

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Need a Mens Barber for a Straight Edge shave

Post by Barczar » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 3:40 pm

I'm seriously missing my barber here in Singapore. I LOVE to go for a traditional Straight Edge Shave complete with the man's facial and haircut! I'm sick of shaving myself and really enjoy my Barber time. Any recommendations out there? The only requirement I have is that the barber actually has to be a man! I'm still of the era that believes a man's hair and face should be shaved by a man....not sure if I trust women with a razor on my face! Price is not a factor, quality is! Anyone?!...I'm desperate here! Cheers
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 5:11 pm

Tut tut....fancy saying a woman can't give a good facial and shave! :evil:

I'll have you know that along with 3 others us girls trained and topped our class in shaving, beating out the guys hands down. :P

My dad said I used to give him the best shaves he ever had (he still would except that it is a long way from here to there to go every week).
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 5:41 pm

micknlea wrote: I'll have you know that along with 3 others us girls trained and topped our class in shaving, beating out the guys hands down. :P
You must be a rarity I believe the same as the OP, only time a girl cut my hair was in Singapore but she had no idea how to use a razor. Besides sounds kind of risky, I mean if you were an advocate of womens lib for example. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Plavt.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 5:49 pm

I am no rarity...special maybe...but not rare, I trained in Aus. All the girls I trained with were mens hairdressers and shaving, and stropping the blade etc to sharpen it were all part of the training...we had to shave our teachers as part of the final exams, and they were extra nice (?) and didn't shave for a few days beforehand! We still beat the guys! Just goes to show...you never know.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 6:29 pm

Some interesting information Micknlea, I am not aware of any females in this country (UK) being taught how to shave men but will remember this if I ever get to vist Australia.

Plavt.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 8:00 pm

Micknlea,

It's just a preference thing...honest! Not saying that men are better than it...I'm just saying that a traditional barber should be a man!

#-o

Ahh I hope I didn't just make things worse....I'm just a bit of a traditionalist like that! My Grandfather has a man barber, My Father has a man barber and I have a man barber, well rather had, hence the reason I'm looking for a new one! It's just a guy thing...honest! I'm sure you give a fantastic shave, but how can I sit in the barber chair and talk about women and sex and manly things with a woman shaving me! I'd be too busy trying to suck in my gut and stick out my chest for you!?! :oops:

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:42 pm

:D :D :D

Its OK, I understand! Not many females will work in the traditional barber type shop either...for just that reason :wink:

I just had to chuck in my two cents worth here! Keep looking Barzcar...sure there is a trad barber shop here somewhere...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 1:26 pm

Barczar,

'fraid I don't know explicitly of a shop, but most of the Indian Barbers do straight razor shaves as well as haircuts. I've used a straight razor for close to 35 years now. Unfortunately, I cut both my own hair and trim my own beard (straightrazor is perfect for those sorts of things.) Being ambidexterous helps as well.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 2:13 pm

Indian Barbers eh?! Well cheers for that - I will keep my eyes peeled for an Indian Barber Shop! I know there are a couple of old chinese guys in the back alley near my place that have their little barber shops set up...but something about getting a backalley shave that scares the hell outta me! :o Different Horses for Different Courses and all that!...

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:31 am

I'm resurfacing this old post, because i just got back from Jakarta and there were all sorts of places that a Man could get a straight edge shave...had 2 of them and LOVED IT!!!

So I'm on a mission now...SOMEBODY PLEASE POST IF YOU KNOW! I'm bordering on desperate here now that i've gotten one again! ANYONE? All i need is Barber Shop here in Singapore that will give a Man a straight edge shave...Thanks!