Singapore Expats

Remote Manager

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sleepy_eyezzz

Remote Manager

Post by sleepy_eyezzz » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 9:40 am

Hi, just wondering if any of you have the experience of working as a remote manager before (ie based in sg alone, working independently within a business unit, while your boss is based somewhere else, eg NYC).

I have a job offer with one of the leading investment bank. The pay is good, and i get regional exposure (something i always wanted). Of course, having the name of this bank on my resume, definately is a plus point.

However, my direct boss is based in NYC, meaning i will be working alone, and she wont be able to see how well i am doing in Sg. At the same time, i have a feeling that there isnt a career prospect in this position. When i asked about it, she mentioned i can get an internal transfer a few years down the road if i am bored with what i am doing.

I am turning 30 in 2 years time, and i think its about time for me to decide what i want to do... but the thing is, i am still lost. Any comments?

novaflux

Post by novaflux » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 5:25 pm

Well here's some comments :

Fristly what type of role will you be doing ? Is it ops support , projects or operations type of role? Most of the time, working alone in your location could pose some problems if your boss is not nearby or you do not manage him/her well enough.

People tend to talk and compare. So be aware that in such instances you must be extra and i mean EXTRA careful and watchful of your work ethics and how you deal with people. There is nothing from stopping people from bitching about you like you disappear for long breaks, or you never work etc etc. Makes it worse if your job has grey KPI's! word gets around and your boss may be having second thoughts or doubts about you if you do not manage well.

Like I said, end of the day, it depends on your seniority and type of job assigned.

Hope this helps.
All I know ... is that I know nothing.

fung23
Chatter
Chatter

Post by fung23 » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:04 am

My situation is similar to yours.

I was sent by the headoffice to the rep office here. My direct bosses are all in HK.

Its true that you need to be very careful in how to deal with the people around you when you work as an individual unit. How to show your boss your performance? Different job natures vary.

I dont need to report to the head of the sg office. I would inform him my new strategy/planning after i proposed to my boss overseas. I would make a copy to him. Just a respect. My boss can evaluate my performance easily as we communicate everyday.

As you said, the pay is good, big company, good exposure, good testimonial on CV, i dont think remote boss is an issue.

sleepy_eyezzz

Post by sleepy_eyezzz » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:16 am

thanks fung23, novaflux

the position i am taking is a regional training position, at AVP level. i have grown to realise that a title is nothing more than a title. it can be a double edge sword because i am reasonably young (28) and holding a perceived fancy title can be tricky.

actually, in my current job, everyone goes for long breaks (1-3 times a day, everyday), regardless of your dept and seniority. it is perceived as a good way to bond and exchange informal information (aka gossip on the latest happenings within the organisation). i'm not sure if the next company have such a culture. honestly, even if they don, i am more than happy to sit at my desk to do my work quietly.

i guess my concern is more of letting my boss know that i am doing well, alone in sg, while she is far and away in nyc. can you share how did you guys do that?

stormie

Post by stormie » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 1:54 am

I've been a regional manager for a Japanese, Hongkong and for the last few years a US company. In all these instances I worked independantly and reported directly to a 'remote boss'. I have made it a practice to COMMUNICATE VERY REGULARLY with my boss and occasionally his boss.

Like what the other posters have mentioned it is crucial that you watch your work ethic etc amongst your colleagues. But if your boss knows you well and you guys communicate often enough it will be more difficult for someone to 'bad mouth' you.

Another thing I find helpful is finding every opportunity to travel TO the main office and travelling WITH your boss in the region. The time spent interacting directly with your boss and showing him/her the 'fruit of your labor'. Since you will be doing regional training, it will be good if your boss can get direct feedback from your customers abt your sucesses in each market.

If your boss will not travel there, find a way to get your customer to write some good things abt you and your work every now and then and make sure they copy your boss! haha! I know this is a bit sneaky but hey you are a long way from NYC!

good luck making your decision..... :)

Left Wing
Regular
Regular

Post by Left Wing » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 7:00 pm

I am taking up the same thing with my boss based in UK, I will head a sales team with a large MNC mostly all local staff will report to me.

Wonder how will my performance be evaluated ? Do locals bitch a lot about xpat guys ! :(

sleepy_eyezzz

Post by sleepy_eyezzz » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 4:59 pm

Left Wing wrote:I am taking up the same thing with my boss based in UK, I will head a sales team with a large MNC mostly all local staff will report to me.

Wonder how will my performance be evaluated ? Do locals bitch a lot about xpat guys ! :(
Personal experience:
3 years ago, i was working in the compliance dept of a local bank. One of the section head, this lady who is vicious, power hungry and thinks highly about herself back-stabbed an expat guy in my company, badly. Long story short, we have an expat (brit) who is heading the compliance function of our business unit, and he reports to the group compliance head. This bitch back-mouth this brit to the group head, claiming that he comes in late, play golf during working hours, and a whole load of bullshit. In the end, this brit was send back to UK before his contract expired. The bitch thought she can head the dept, but her effort is wasted when the Group compliance head decided to hire someone else to take over that brit place.

I am sure the same shit happens everywhere... jus open your eyes and watch what you say. Some people are so f*** up that they will do anything to get what they want...