Singapore Expats

Eating Disorder

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
sherwin

Eating Disorder

Post by sherwin » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 1:53 pm

I have a very close friend who has eating disorder.. Need advice to see how i can help her..

OPT
Regular
Regular

Re: Eating Order

Post by OPT » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 1:57 pm

Need a little more info.... first what kind of eating disorder?

sherwin wrote:I have a very close friend who has eating disorder.. Need advice to see how i can help her..

sherwin

Post by sherwin » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 2:09 pm

Hmm wat do u mean?
She eats alot and vomits thereafter.. Its making her feel very lousy and she is very emotional about it.
She is seeing a doctor but not for medication.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 2:11 pm

Sherwin,
I presume you mean anorexia, if so maybe you could start here;

http://www.imh.com.sg/our_services/eating_disorders.htm

Plavt.

iamdanny
Chatter
Chatter

Post by iamdanny » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 3:25 pm

how abt yan shi zheng? means dun feel like eatting?

leenaaaa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by leenaaaa » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 4:18 pm

Last edited by leenaaaa on Sat, 02 Sep 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 4:57 pm

leenaaaa wrote:plavt, no it's called bullimia.

Anorexia and bullimia are the same thing just that the term anorexia is more widely used in the UK. If you key either word into google and follow it with a comma and then type Singapore it will lead you to the link I provided earlier.

Plavt.

leenaaaa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by leenaaaa » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 5:39 pm

Last edited by leenaaaa on Sat, 02 Sep 2006 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

leenaaaa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by leenaaaa » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 5:46 pm

Last edited by leenaaaa on Sat, 02 Sep 2006 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 3:45 pm

Thank you for your correction leeana, I did actually look it up and somehow misread the information.

:oops:

Plavt.

dyslexic_alien

Post by dyslexic_alien » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 4:06 pm

I feel that the number of bulimia and aneroxia cases has gone up over the past few years probably because people are more and more affluent and there is more than enough food to go around + the pressure from media (eg: we must be thin to look nice etc) and also perhaps it stems from the fact that more and more people are well-read enough to recognise the signs for early detection (which is good)

hmm my advise is to see a shrink as soon as possible. If finances allow, see a private one, else the Institute of Mental Health is a good source for help.

leenaaaa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by leenaaaa » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 4:29 pm

Last edited by leenaaaa on Sat, 02 Sep 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool_pink

Post by Cool_pink » Wed, 05 Jul 2006 9:03 pm

Hi there,
I want to share my bulimic experince .It was terrible time of my life.
I really regret that it happened to me and thank God it is over now.
I had a history of anorexia,I won't eat and I used to be so skinny.
It started because I wanted to mentain my figure due to my modelling career.When I got married,I started eating normally and I put on so much weight,also because I had a good appetite,I ate more than I supposed to eat and love the sweets.
I became sad and lost my confidence.I felt that my husband doesn't want me because I'm fat.So,I started to eat so much,upto 2-3 thousand calories and throw up ,did it during the day when he is working and at night when he goes to bed.I also exercise daily for 2 hours and took slimming pills and abused laxative.
It went on for 8 months,on and off with my beinging-purging ,but there are times that I would beinge and throw up twice everyday.Sometimes,3 times a week.
It depends on my mood with food or if I have some kind of cravings.
It was so hard and I felt down,depressed and sad all the time.I also hate it when I wasted so much money to buy food and just throw it all up.
I hated myself for not being deciplined and I fought for it every single day.I promised myself evrytime I trhow up that it will be the last time,but the cycle went on and on..
Untill one day,I was so tired and felt grossed about my bad habbit.I decided to change.I did it and I am so proud of myself!
Now,I am feeling happy all the time,save more money ,instead of buying food,I will buy clothes and shoes..
I am over with my bulimia experience.I eat healthy food,eat what I want but in small portions.I also excercise twice a week and joined yoga.
Untill now,none of my family know about my nasty past and not even my hubby.
I have moved on and started a healthy ,happier life now..I hope you're friend will help herself to get out from this disease,it will all depend to her.
She needs someone to be there for her,I hope you can help her by talking to her and finding out why did she do it?
Maybe she has deeper problem that leads to emotional eating.

I hope my experience help you and your friend understanding what is it like to be a bulimic.
Take CAre.

leenaaaa
Chatter
Chatter

Post by leenaaaa » Wed, 05 Jul 2006 9:33 pm

Last edited by leenaaaa on Sat, 02 Sep 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool_pink

Post by Cool_pink » Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:01 pm

Hi Leenaaaa,

Thank you for your reply.
It's not been an easy journey for me and you are right by saying that something might trigger it to come back.
I was bulimic for 8 months and it has been 5 months recovery period.
It's not easy at all,I have bad days too and also pms that I craved so much for sweet savory food and junkies..
But ,I control myself now and always think about my health and love ones.I don't want to be in that cycle again.
Like I said earlier,only I can help myself,it's a matter of self decipline and loving myself.I hated myself before and hated everyone around me.All I see was negative and faults.I had a bad relationship with family and friends.
I didn't tell anyone simply because I know that they can't help me in any way.. and I was scared that they might be worry too much.
I guess it only depend on your determination,seriousness of getting out of being bulimic and fight for it.Recovery is possible and most importantly learning to accept yourself..
I know it will take time ,months and years to really let go of this illness.. but I know I can make it.I beleive in myself.