Singapore Expats

Japan Airlines

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
bachelorette

Post by bachelorette » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 9:17 pm

sharkie8480 wrote:I work there =)
Oh, the ad is up on the website...download the form and send it in.
http://www.sg.jal.com/en/others/recruitment/

Good luck everyone who's interested! :)

oh i see..btw what are u working as for japan airlines? :D

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 9:24 pm

Cabin crew

magrit

Post by magrit » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 9:49 pm

omg!! its like finally ya! yup! JAL is finally recruiting!!! waited such a long time for it but i guess its worth e wait!

hey sharkie 8480, u wking as cabin crew w JAL? how long have u been in service? also are they only recruiting only 15 ladies out of e thousands expected maybe? i really really hope to work for JAL.....

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:33 pm

yup, only 15 this time.

sixue

Post by sixue » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:59 pm

Hi, am interested in applying for this rare opportunity.
Can anyone share their working experience with JAL?
Would really like to know more abt the working culture and also remuneration. Thanks in advance.

Heard tt JAL pay is slightly lesser compared to SIA? Any exact figures from anyone?

Does JAL cabin crew enjoy any pay increment after many years of service?

How long is the training stint in Japan?

How many days rest does JAL FA get? And will they be based in Spore/ Japan?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:03 pm

Should you happen to read this Sharkie, it might be a better idea if you were to describe the calibre of people they are looking for since you work there.
As I mentioned in my earlier post (in this thread) there is a considerable cultural difference and with the image JAL likes to project I am sure you know they will be ultra-select in their chosen applicants.

Plavt.

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:34 pm

wow...so many questions :o =p

okie, firstly, you will definitely be based in Singapore. SIN base crew fly to Tokyo, NYC, LA, San Francisco, Vegas (till Oct 06), Saigon (till oct 06), KUL, Osaka only for now. Each flt, max of 4 SIN crew.

I'm not sure abt SQ pay, but I heard its about 3.5 to 4k? Correct me if I am wrong. JAL starting pay will be about 2.5- 2.8k. basic will increase every fiscal year. i heard from others that SQ crew fly a lot more though. We get 3 off days after each states flt. 8 off days a month usually.

Training is 3 months. 1.5 in SIN, 1.5 in Tokyo. Involves a lot of Jap lessons.

The type of pple they are looking for...look-wise: 1.58m minimum,fair, no coloured hair, pleasant looking, no tattoos or visible scars. They will do a check on the 3rd round. Personality-wise: must be interested in jap culture, language, can't be stubborn and talk back, must smile a lot. Best if you are the sort that can apologise whether its your fault or not...hahaha... its kinda jap service culture. And must be able to take a lot of crap from passengers who can't tell diff btw orange juice and apple juice =p

Not sure what else I can tell u... hope this helps=)

sixue

Post by sixue » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:18 am

hey sharkie, thanks a lot for your quick answers!

To be frank, I've waited very long for JAL's local recruitment.. I guess itz true tt SIA pays better than JAL, but ultimately I still prefer JAL.. the Japanese hold service standards in great esteem and their crew portray a service culture tt is truly consistent.

In your own experience, was it tough working alongside the Japanese crew? Are they generally receptive of non-Jap crew? And hope u dun mind me asking - how long have u been flying with JAL n what is ur current income range? Hmm alright i think its better for me to ask u "what is the yearly pay increment one can get?"

Mebbe i shld share a little info abt myself.. Currently im struggling with a decision as to whether i shld go pursue a Masters or to pursue my dream of flying.

Actually i went for SIA last year but turned down the offer due to: 1) family resistance and 2) i was doubtful abt the working culture in SIA.
I tend to think that JAL environment is better, judging by the high standards expected of their crew (esp in terms of character/personality?)
I mean, like u said, being humble so as to apologise even if one is not at fault - this person has got to have certain substance.

Oh well, I've blabbered so much.. LOL.
Before i forget, most impt of all, is there a compulsory bond to serve upon completion of training?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:58 am

Sixue,
Japanese are quite able to work with non-Japanese crew and have done for many years. You may not have seen my previous post but it may surprise you to learn the crew on JAL planes from London are a mixture of westerners and Japanese. The English amongst them stay on the same route for practical reasons but JAL are happy with the arrangement.

I note your family do not seem to be in favour of you taking such a job so take care in making your decisions.

Plavt.

PS: A Masters degree will be useful all your life possibly even when a crisis occurs whereas a job as cabin crew may not be much use after a few years.

eliteia

Post by eliteia » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 4:31 pm

Does anyone know if JAL have age limit? I heard the cut off is 25, is it true?

magrit

Post by magrit » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 5:59 pm

hi sharkie.... hey, thanks for all e information.... but could u be so kind to tell us wat is the pay like when u are under going training? and is there any allowance for undergoing training in japan? also for e pay u quoted rite, is it take home or gross? sorry for asking so many questions but do hope to hear from u soon!

and eliteia.... i dun tink there is cut off age for JAL or they would have stated it in the ad... but to be sure, of course u can give them a call.... they provided the contact number for queries in e advertisement in their website. :) e number is open @ nite too!

lolitaa
Regular
Regular

Post by lolitaa » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 2:38 am

Hi sharkie, thanks for the information above.

Can u share with me or us, your experience for the interviews. How is it like?

sana
Regular
Regular

Post by sana » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 9:34 am

hey sharkie,

the requirements states perfect eyesight.

Do they check for your eyesight ?

My eyesight is Right 125 Left 250 can i still apply ? I can see without glasses
Last edited by sana on Sun, 06 Aug 2006 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

wendy_11

Post by wendy_11 » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:11 pm

hahz sharkie's in high demand. oh well, had qns for u too, but think sixue asked most of them :) hope u can share more. Neway, i've been lookin at quite a no. of threads (dunno why its called this way) & Plavt, noticed ure here quite frequent & ur comments are rather interesting! hahz, care to share more abt urself? u live in UK? what do u wk as? (to have so much knowledge of being a cabin crew, or did it all come fr ur reading..) wish everyone a great day! *sigh* (i have exams tmr... :cry: )

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 5:28 am

Sorry for the late reply! Had to work!
1) I don't think its tougher to work with japanese than singaporeans or any other person. I heard stories of how japanese stab others in the back, but its not like s'poreans or other pple dun do it, right? So far, I haven't experienced much problems with them. Some of them are not as pleasant, but thats normal I think. However, they are more likely to cover up for fellow japanese, and push the blame on non japanese, so you have to be prepared for that, but as long as you do whatever you are taught, they wun be able to blame u for anything. I've been with JAL for about a year. Yearly increment is not much. If you do get in, it will be stated in your contract. I've already said that new crew will bring home about 2.5- 2.8k a month, depending on flights. U will get at least 1 states flt per month. I think that if you are really interested in this line, there is no harm to fly for a year or 2, then go on to do your masters. Thats what I might do too. You don't have to sacrifice your masters to fly. BUt if you do your masters now, you wun be able to go into flying by the time you finish yr studies, right?

2) There is a bond for 15 months. Only 3k.

3) Cut off age is 25. Its not stated but they have never taken in anyone over 25 yet.

4) During training, you only get the basic. When training in Japan, u get basic plus a certain amt for your entire stay in japan. Food is provided in the dorm.

5) Contacts is fine. U dun need perfect eyesight.

6) U dun need to know japanese to get in.

Thats it I think. Good luck~!