Singapore Expats

whats the name of this website?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Bafana

Re: whats the name of this website?

Post by Bafana » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 4:08 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Bafana wrote:You have just summarised the Singaporean Character (currently ducking under the desk as Wind in My Hair throws something at me :wink: )
you said something? sorry i didn't hear... too busy talking to my friend... we just got off the escalator and cant decide to turn left or right so we must discuss before moving off... these stupid angmohs keep bumping into us as they get off the escalator... aiyoh, they all so big size, why cannot just walk around us... we have important things to discuss... don't know to turn left or turn right...

:P
Loving it - Nice one :cool:
Be Like Water

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 4:08 pm

one843 wrote:Should I be offended by the fact that I remind you of Wham or should I be offended that I am a little less than Wham.
1843, just taking the mickey. you did say you liked it! :P

i can't tell you what to feel. but i will tell you that wham is a little more over the top than you, and takes some adjusting to, after which we like him just fine!

(wham, if you happen to read this, this is for you. :kiss: )

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 4:26 pm

what the hell is "taking a Mickey"
Yes I would say that is me. I do take some getting used to but then either you love me or hate me. I like to think that the majority love me after a while. I have always gotten along well with others and the ones I dont get along with nobody else does either.
I do have other endearing qualities that you will come to appriciate :lol: :lol: :lol:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Yeah, just taking the mickey a bit. I'm a yank as well and have been here for 24+ years. And I'm still not used to it but that's why I take beta blockers now! :cool: Jack used to work but now my gout acts up when I go that route.
the same Jack that Billy Joel sang about? (!)
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:46 pm

EADG wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Yeah, just taking the mickey a bit. I'm a yank as well and have been here for 24+ years. And I'm still not used to it but that's why I take beta blockers now! :cool: Jack used to work but now my gout acts up when I go that route.
the same Jack that Billy Joel sang about? (!)
Nah. Not Capt Jack. Jack Black! :cool:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:37 am

i thought billy joel was referring to jack daniels. what other jack is there?

(sorry i don't know my alcohols very well)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:59 am

I may well be wrong, but I thought it was in reference to a drug pusher by the same name in New Jersey where Joel comes from. I've never heard of Jack Daniels ever being referred to as Capt. Jack. Jack Black yes. Ole No. 7, yes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 1:13 am

according to google you are right!

ah, another misconception exploded. now i need to get to work on the other million probably still in my mind. :oops:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 1:21 am

it's about heroin and is a drug dealer's nickname

"Just a little push, and you'll be smilin'"

a great but very dark song, the intro and outtro always scared me a little

and he's from Long Island, NY, not NJ (which also has a Long Island) - though some sources say he was born in the Bronx

"From a town known as Oyster Bay, Long Island
Rode a boy with a six-pack in his hand
And his daring life of crime
Made him a legend in his time
East and west of the Rio Grande"

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 7:49 am

Now that I am educated on old Billy Joel songs and the alternative name for Jack Daniel. Which we (the hillbilly rednecks) of the rural parts of the US simply call it Jack or JD. By the way the area of the state in the US where the make Jack Daniels. IS a dry county(dry meaning you can not buy any alcohol).
Where was I? Oh yes. What is "taking the mickey"?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 8:01 am

one843 wrote:Where was I? Oh yes. What is "taking the mickey"?
Just for you, 1843.

Taking the mickey
Meaning

Tease or make fun of.
Origin

There are various forms of this: take/extract the Mick/Micky/Mickey, although the 'take the Mickey' version is most often used in print.

It is often reported that the phrase originates as a variant of the slang phrase 'take the piss'. The thinking behind that is that micturate means piss, hence the phrase. There's no evidence for this though and it is now more generally accepted that it came about as rhyming slang. 'Taking the piss' does play its part though as the rhyming slang refers to a character called Micky Bliss, so 'taking the piss' became 'taking the Micky' (Bliss).

Taking the piss is reported as originating in the UK in the 1930s and 'taking the Mickey' probably came not long afterwards. The first form of the phrase in print comes from 1935:

G. Ingram, Cockney Cavalcade: "He wouldn't let Pancake ‘take the mike’ out of him."

Take the Mickey doesn't appear in print until 1952, in J. Henry's 'Who lie in Gaol': "She's a terror. I expect she'll try and take the mickey out of you all right. Don't you stand for nothin'."

Now I have a question for you. What is the significance of one843?
One man's meat is another's poison.

one843
Regular
Regular

Post by one843 » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:15 am

That is kind of what I thought that it meant.
Although the phrase does sound like it might have a bit of relation to the Irish community. With phases like "that bloody Mc" refering to the names such as McPherson or Mcmurphy or McDaniels.
The name of "one843" would be more understood by the american male.
It is the user name that I always use because nobody else uses it. Unlike Tiger or Tiger23 or 1Tiger23.
The actuall meaning of it refers to the firing order the the small block Chevrolet motor. The firing order is the sequence in which the cylinders fire in. The firing order is constant for many years. It is very easy for me to remember so that is what I go by.
Yeah it is kinda bumb for the normal people but it makes soom sense to the Motor Heads.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Post by CardZeus » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 4:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:... that's why I take beta blockers now!
FYI: "New advice on blood-pressure drug :

A class of drugs called beta-blockers should no longer be given to patients with high blood pressure, the NHS drugs watchdog for England and Wales says.
Other drugs are better at treating the condition, also known as hypertension, which affects 40% of adults, it says.

The guidance from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence says using beta-blockers can also increase the risk of diabetes.

But patients on the drugs are urged to keep taking them until seeing their GP."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5118616.stm
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.