Singapore Expats

female pilots

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
underwhitesheets

female pilots

Post by underwhitesheets » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:07 am

hi (: i have realised that in order to become a pilot, a perfect eyesight is required of the person. will it still be possible for someone to become a pilot if she goes for laser treatment ?

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: female pilots

Post by Plavt » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:27 am

underwhitesheets wrote:hi (: i have realised that in order to become a pilot, a perfect eyesight is required of the person. will it still be possible for someone to become a pilot if she goes for laser treatment ?
Well, this does not tell us much. Why do you need to go for laser treatment?
Are you saying you have defective vision that needs this course of action?

Should the answer be yes to either question then the best course of action would be to ask the airlines medical staff and not a group of strangers on a free forum.

Plavt.

underwhitesheets

Post by underwhitesheets » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:31 am

what i meant was using laser treatment for shortsightedness (:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:38 am

underwhitesheets wrote:what i meant was using laser treatment for shortsightedness (:
Thank you for the clarification hazarding a guess I would say you zero chance of becoming a pilot this is one profession where health requirements are extreme born of necessity.

You do of course see pilots wearing glasses but they have been in the industry a long time. Do double check with the airline though as I do not know your full circumstances and could be wrong but don't get your hopes up.

Plavt.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 3:34 am

I'm not sure if you have overlooked this but below is what I found on SIA's website. Pay close attention to 'd' (in bold).

CADET PILOT - SINGAPORE AND MALAYSIA
(SINGAPORE CITIZENS, SINGAPORE PERMANENT RESIDENTS OR MALAYSIAN CITIZENS)
This is an entry level position for candidates who are expected to display a strong interest in aviation. This appointment is based in Singapore.

Requirements
a) Singapore Citizen, Singapore Permanent Resident or Malaysian Citizen.

b) GCE ‘A’ Level, STPM, Polytechnic Diploma, Degree or its equivalent. In addition, you must have obtained a minimum of 5 credits in the GCE ‘O’ Level, SPM or its equivalent. These must include English, Mathematics and a pure science subject, preferably Physics, taken at one sitting.

c) At least 1.65m in height.

d) Medically fit with visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6.

d) Preference will be given to candidates with higher qualifications and some years of working experience.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 5:05 am

From what the OP has said she wears glasses and it is doubtful if laser surgery will mean being able to do away with them. The medical and physical requirements for pilots are amongst the most stringent in the world.
Even those who meet them stand a very good chance of losing their job so I hope the OP is not too depressed by the bad news.

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:06 am

Plavt,

It looks like singaporegrrl has found a way out on the visual acuity requirement from the airlines website. A cadet pilot can wear glasses as long as the sight impairment without the glasses (uncorrected) is no more than 6/60 and can be corrected with glasses to 6/6.

It's possible there are large numbers of pilots today wearing glasses as most probably opt for contact lens. Additionally, I would read that as meaning if you had laser surgery to correct a visual deficiency and the result was 6/60 or better and could be corrected to 6/6 with glasses then I would think they could still fly (after laser their sight would be unaided as it were).

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 2:59 pm

Thank you sms, I was thinking more in terms of what I was told here in the UK but then my information is dated.

Plavt.

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 3:07 pm

As far as SIA is concerned, they will wait 1 year after the lasik treatment before sending you to through the cadet pilot medical, so that your eyes would have stabilised by then. Of course, that's after clearing the final interview.

However, please note that there's still a chance of SIA rejecting you after the medical even if the operation brings your eyes to the minimum standard.

underwhitesheets

Post by underwhitesheets » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 4:41 pm

thank you ! (: im only fifteen years old actually. i was just wondering if there were any chances of me becoming a pilot in the future (:

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 5:16 pm

SIA doesnt take female pilots or cadet pilots.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 5:40 pm

sharkie8480 wrote:SIA doesnt take female pilots or cadet pilots.

What evidence can you offer for this? SilkAir with is a part of SIA had one female pilots and one in training in 2004. Please note at around 60% of SIA's pilots are foreigners.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Wed, 14 Jun 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 5:51 pm

Plavt wrote:From what the OP has said she wears glasses and it is doubtful if laser surgery will mean being able to do away with them. (snipped)

Plavt.
I know nothing about airline requirements but I do know about laser treatment and the above statement is misleading. There may be some extreme cases (e.g., of severe astigmatism) or unsuccessful operations where it is the case but I had laser treatment 11 years ago - when it was stll PRK and very risky - and I still don't need glasses at all. I have a lot of friends who have had Lasik both here and in the UK and not one of them needs glasses, even for driving.

OP you are young - don't worry about this just yet! When it becomes an issue, check the regulations and correction techniques available at the time.

underwhitesheets

Post by underwhitesheets » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 6:01 pm

okay (: thank you so much (:

icequeenz

Post by icequeenz » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:00 pm

how we know if SIA takes in female cadet pilots:
look at their application form. there's only a choice between "Capt/Mr" in the FULL NAME box.

unless u're already a capt...budden u wont be going for cadat course....