Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore (Indian)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Nidhi

Moving to Singapore (Indian)

Post by Nidhi » Tue, 16 May 2006 8:09 pm

hi, i am from nagpur, india. my husband got a job in singapore and we are planning to move in june, we have a 5 yr old daughter. we want to rent a house near yishun/woodlands.
we want to rent a condominium where few indian families live as my daughter can play with other kids. our budget is about 1000 to 1400, do you think we can get something in this price range. also we are looking for indian school near the house.
are there any hidden expenses in singapore?
please post as much information as you can give..
Nidhi

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 May 2006 8:33 pm

nidhi,

First of all, I would ask that you use the resources of this site (see all the tabs at the top of the page? They have lots of good information. If you have read these and then still have specific questions try a search of the relevant forums (see the Search function at the upper left side of the screen. If you still cannot find the answer then post your specific question here and we will try to answer it for you.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

moving

Post by bunty » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 7:22 pm

hi nidhi

condos within the budget u have mentioned should be available

Canes

Post by Canes » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 2:38 am

I'm sorry, maybe its just me, but i find your remark that you want to be around other indians so your daughter has kids to play with a little offensive. I grew up in singapore and have friends of all races, why would you feel that your daughter should only play with other indians? Shouldn't you be embracing this opportunity to learn more about other cultures and not be looking to segregate your child in a foriegn country? I'm not sure I understand what your intentions are. Is it to make her feel more comfortable or is to make you more comfortable?

Left Wing
Regular
Regular

Post by Left Wing » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:45 am

as an Indian I always find this clanish behaviour very poor...

it is your chance to meet with people from all over world pls widen your horizons eat local food, talk to other parents from various countires and grow from that...

if you want to be with other Indians pls stay in Nagpur...may if you move to Banglore you will want to be with people from Maharashtra ....thats just sad

uk-kiwi
Regular
Regular

??

Post by uk-kiwi » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 2:37 pm

give the lady a break. it's pretty daunting for a 5 year old to move home let alone countries where everyone will look different initially. she will speak an indian language as mother tongue (not sure when you start learning english in india) so will need to feel comfortable initially. cripes, my condo is full of french kids who only play with the other french kids because the ones that just moved here don't speak english. give the poor child time and don't be so offended that this family might just be moving here for the money rather than the 'cultural immersion' and to make lots of friends. i'm sure given time integration will happen as it does for everyone. OP, sorry i can't help with your specific queries.

Canes

Post by Canes » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 1:03 am

That's the point isn't it? If each of us decide that our comfort is more important than teaching our children that we're all equal...what's the point of a global economy? Just because you're indian or french doesn't mean that if your kids play with people of their own 'kind' their lives will be better. My best friends are people who are not the same race as me, my childhood friends, some of my most bitter experiences with human beings have been by people of my own race. I'm sorry if find it offensive that someone would want to keep to their own kind in a foriegn land. I'm sorry if I feel that especially in this day in age someone would actually even think that that would be a better alternative. I'm sorry if I want a world where the friends we are allowed to have is based more on their character and not the color of their skin.

megha
Reporter
Reporter

Post by megha » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 6:51 pm

Instead of helping Nidhi, why is everyone bent on changing her mindset abt living in the midst of foreigners? I dont suppose u realise what anxiety one feels when they are planning to settle down in another country which they havent even seen, for all u know nidhi may have never travelled internationally...In the circumstance I dont see anything wrong in wanting to have a few people around from the same background. Ya what wld be offensive is if she wanted only Indians in the condo!!

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 9:51 pm

To the OP, you should know that there's a racial quota in every HDB flat. This is official policy of the Gahmen.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Kanchan

Post by Kanchan » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:47 pm

Just noticed one thing in this thread, that instead of offering any good advice people have been condescending, intimidating, unhelpful and judging, to say the least.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Post by bushbride » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 8:43 pm

Kanchan wrote:Just noticed one thing in this thread, that instead of offering any good advice people have been condescending, intimidating, unhelpful and judging, to say the least.
Yes agree, Kanchan.

Nidhi, you will find quite a few options for accommodation, and there are Indian communities all over Singapore. Having a bit of a look around for Indian women societies is a good staring place. There are a few I have heard about (one on eastcoast, orchard and little India too). These are great places to meet other mums and bubs outside of your chosen accommodation.

I can appreciate that you would like to maintain a sense of your own culture around your little one. And, you will find no great issues in doing this. The Indian community is alive and thriving in Singapore!

You will have many opportunities to meet many people from your home country and from around the world who are good support, despite the tactlessness of some of the posters. Please ignore their lack of courtesy.

And, welcome to Singapore!

BB
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -

Godmode

Post by Godmode » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 9:38 am

Oh guys stop getting harsh at her. She is asking for some valuable help. I do agree to a certain level on those points but you cant really say she is being racist. I am sure she would have never thought about it. At the same time can i ask you all indians something?

Why do some chinese families here dont rent their house to an indian? do you call them racist? think about it.Racisim is an extreme behavior and a little expectation of your own choice cant be racism.

Neverthless, nidhi i was in the same dillema as you are in these day. Getting a condo with that budget is not difficult but getting the right one might be. Since u have a kid i guess you might be looking at a 2bedroom condo. I guess u will have to go out of the city area for that..maybe clementi, hougang or bedok might help since lot of indian population and indian schools (i heard not sure).

Hope that helps..

hei guess what
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Moving to Singapore (Indian)

Post by hei guess what » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 4:21 pm

Nidhi wrote:we want to rent a condominium where few indian families live as my daughter can play with other kids.
Apparently, quite a number of you are hard of READing :roll:

The lady specifically said FEW Indians so that her child may mix with children of other races. So apologise all those who are guilty ! ! ! :P

BTW Nidhi,
here's the website for the

Bhavan Indian International School
http://www.giissingapore.org/kindergarten/index.htm

DPS (Delhi Public School) International School, Singapore
http://www.dps.edu.sg/html/index0.htm